Getting temporary visa and working abroad

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Sailor

Getting temporary visa and working abroad

Post by Sailor » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi all,
I'm going through the process of applying for temporary visa to to live in Chile with my daughter and gf who are Chileans.
Thing is that I work onboard ships in Europe, going on a 4 weeks rotation which means spending every second month outside Chile. Since it's hard to find a decent job in Chile with salary anywhere near my current one I don't have any plans of bothering looking for a job in Chile.
Will leaving the country so often be possible without any hassle?
Anyone here managed to get an exception from the rule saying you have to stay 185 days a year in the country to be able to renew temporary visa or get the permanent visa?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Getting temporary visa and working abroad

Post by admin » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:54 pm

Sailor wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:48 pm
Hi all,
I'm going through the process of applying for temporary visa to to live in Chile with my daughter and gf who are Chileans.
Thing is that I work onboard ships in Europe, going on a 4 weeks rotation which means spending every second month outside Chile. Since it's hard to find a decent job in Chile with salary anywhere near my current one I don't have any plans of bothering looking for a job in Chile.
Will leaving the country so often be possible without any hassle?
Anyone here managed to get an exception from the rule saying you have to stay 185 days a year in the country to be able to renew temporary visa or get the permanent visa?
not going to happen.

If it helps, it is not 180 days consecutive in the country. It is 180 days total in a one year period.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Sailor

Post by Sailor » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:33 pm

Well I guess 180 days is manageable. Just taking a bit extra vacation every year.
Would I need to apply for a permit to leave the country every time i fly out or is that only when the visa application is pending?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:15 am

It is a one time thing, while you are applying for permanent residency. after that you need one day a year to keep it.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.