Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
tiagoabner

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by tiagoabner » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:43 pm

Are the delays you're facing related to doing business in Chile (professionals, suppliers, licenses etc)? If so, can you please share a bit more about it?
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:41 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:43 pm
Are the delays you're facing related to doing business in Chile (professionals, suppliers, licenses etc)? If so, can you please share a bit more about it?
It is a combination of a bunch of little things. I started working on this house about a month ago. And that was right after the New Year, the time when contractors are not very responsive. Delay for a few days was caused by an insulation guy who did not show up on the day I had him on schedule, and we worked on the fencing instead of working on the house. Then we are a bit short on labor, my best helper can't help me at this moment, working on taking care of his wedding preparations. Plus had to let someone go, not everyone is a good fit for our team... And last week I had to be off work for a few days spending some time with a client and dealing with some other nonsense.

Would prefer to see this done a week ago but here we are. Some people may see this as good progress, but for me, it is painfully slow. In the States, I mastered the process to a point where from the time excavator moved to the property and when the house is cleaned and move-in ready it would take 45 days. That is for houses under 2000 sqft. It is including landscaping and dealing with public works, sidewalks, drainage systems on the street and all of the inspections in between.

And that would be one of several projects that I was managing at the same time. But I believe that one day I would beat my time in the US, working here!

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:55 am

KDnR wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:41 am
tiagoabner wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:43 pm
It is a combination of a bunch of little things. I started working on this house about a month ago. And that was right after the New Year, the time when contractors are not very responsive. Delay for a few days was caused by an insulation guy who did not show up on the day I had him on schedule, and we worked on the fencing instead of working on the house. Then we are a bit short on labor, my best helper can't help me at this moment, working on taking care of his wedding preparations. Plus had to let someone go, not everyone is a good fit for our team... And last week I had to be off work for a few days spending some time with a client and dealing with some other nonsense.

Would prefer to see this done a week ago but here we are. Some people may see this as good progress, but for me, it is painfully slow. In the States, I mastered the process to a point where from the time excavator moved to the property and when the house is cleaned and move-in ready it would take 45 days. That is for houses under 2000 sqft. It is including landscaping and dealing with public works, sidewalks, drainage systems on the street and all of the inspections in between.

And that would be one of several projects that I was managing at the same time. But I believe that one day I would beat my time in the US, working here!
Thanks, I really appreciate the report on how things are being affected by the local circumstances. Still, there's a company that quoted me 8 months in order to build a 2000 sqft in Santiago, so you're working at an incredible pace. Keep up the good work!
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:06 pm

This main truss was heavy... Guys happy that it is already up. We are getting close to finish this frame.
Attachments
IMG_2948.jpg
IMG_2950.jpg

gregf

Post by gregf » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:35 pm

Enjoying this still! Lurking but enjoying :)

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:45 pm

gregf wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:35 pm
Enjoying this still! Lurking but enjoying :)
I was suspecting there are some lurkers around :). But I almost stopped posting because people are not responding.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:19 pm

Same here. Lurking and seeing it all. Not really much to post in terms of comments, but we're here.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:35 pm

As long as I know you are out there and enjoying it, I can share some...

We loaded our MgO boards on the roof and I realized something. The metal frame above concrete is slightly over 7 tons. The boards that we got on the roof are over 7 tons also. It does not seem that way but the whole cladding of the house will weight so much more than the frame.
Attachments
IMG_2975.jpg
IMG_2967.jpg

Zenth

Post by Zenth » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:24 pm

I read every post. Just have nothing worthwhile to add. Please continue posting.

chilly

Post by chilly » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:56 am

I’m following as well and was waiting for the post-framing portion to start. I didn’t know about MgO boards before. So fire, mold and insect resistant...

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:18 am

chilly wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:56 am
I’m following as well and was waiting for the post-framing portion to start. I didn’t know about MgO boards before. So fire, mold and insect resistant...
Yes, that is correct, all of those qualities plus many more...

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:31 am

Yesterday had to deal with moving coils from local ferreteria where I was storing my first load of metal. I had to use them before I got my warehouse set up. I got tired of dealing with a lot of Chilean nonsense and decided to move all out from that place including MgO boards. That is why we had the boards up on the roof a few days before all of the frame is completed.

Btw, whatever metal coils you see on the lower picture is enough to build two more houses like that.
Attachments
IMG_2993(1).jpg
IMG_2995.jpg