Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
KDnR

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:57 am

chilly wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:18 am
@KDnR
Will you be doing the electrical portion? I am curious as to the power outlets used in new homes. There is the two prong "C" outlet at 2.5 amps, a 10 amp "L" outlet with a similar width to the "C" with a ground, and the wider 16 amp outlet, also called "L" but with thicker pins. Some outlets cover all three choices but I wonder if the electrical panel breakers of most new homes are 16 amps and are using the proper heavier wiring, or if homes are spec'ed for 10 amp service. I can also imagine 10 amps for most of the house but one 16 amp circuit for the washer.
Thanks
@chilly
I will be working on this house until its finished, including the electrical part. Actually, I have no clue in electrical work at all but I will have someone very knowledgeable working on it, I will just provide assistance. That is why I can't comment on your post more than this. all of that is a foreign language for me :).

chilly

Post by chilly » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:46 am

No problem. Thanks

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:55 am

Not moving fast at all with my project. Lots of things going on outside of my project, people that I need to spend some time with. Others are just stealing my time with no regard to it or appreciation. Anyway, at least the walls started to go up.
Attachments
IMG_2799.jpg
IMG_2800.jpg
IMG_2801.jpg

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:43 pm

Are the delays you're facing related to doing business in Chile (professionals, suppliers, licenses etc)? If so, can you please share a bit more about it?
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:41 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:43 pm
Are the delays you're facing related to doing business in Chile (professionals, suppliers, licenses etc)? If so, can you please share a bit more about it?
It is a combination of a bunch of little things. I started working on this house about a month ago. And that was right after the New Year, the time when contractors are not very responsive. Delay for a few days was caused by an insulation guy who did not show up on the day I had him on schedule, and we worked on the fencing instead of working on the house. Then we are a bit short on labor, my best helper can't help me at this moment, working on taking care of his wedding preparations. Plus had to let someone go, not everyone is a good fit for our team... And last week I had to be off work for a few days spending some time with a client and dealing with some other nonsense.

Would prefer to see this done a week ago but here we are. Some people may see this as good progress, but for me, it is painfully slow. In the States, I mastered the process to a point where from the time excavator moved to the property and when the house is cleaned and move-in ready it would take 45 days. That is for houses under 2000 sqft. It is including landscaping and dealing with public works, sidewalks, drainage systems on the street and all of the inspections in between.

And that would be one of several projects that I was managing at the same time. But I believe that one day I would beat my time in the US, working here!

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:55 am

KDnR wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:41 am
tiagoabner wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:43 pm
It is a combination of a bunch of little things. I started working on this house about a month ago. And that was right after the New Year, the time when contractors are not very responsive. Delay for a few days was caused by an insulation guy who did not show up on the day I had him on schedule, and we worked on the fencing instead of working on the house. Then we are a bit short on labor, my best helper can't help me at this moment, working on taking care of his wedding preparations. Plus had to let someone go, not everyone is a good fit for our team... And last week I had to be off work for a few days spending some time with a client and dealing with some other nonsense.

Would prefer to see this done a week ago but here we are. Some people may see this as good progress, but for me, it is painfully slow. In the States, I mastered the process to a point where from the time excavator moved to the property and when the house is cleaned and move-in ready it would take 45 days. That is for houses under 2000 sqft. It is including landscaping and dealing with public works, sidewalks, drainage systems on the street and all of the inspections in between.

And that would be one of several projects that I was managing at the same time. But I believe that one day I would beat my time in the US, working here!
Thanks, I really appreciate the report on how things are being affected by the local circumstances. Still, there's a company that quoted me 8 months in order to build a 2000 sqft in Santiago, so you're working at an incredible pace. Keep up the good work!
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.