Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22274
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by admin » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:04 pm

yea, with plumbing, my thing is always accessibility.

My next project is a second floor guest bath complete remodel, because a small leak in a wall. by the time I open up the wall to fix it, I am 50% of the time and money to a complete remodel. which it needed anyway, just i had planned to wait until other projects were done. The leak inside the wall just moved it to the head of the line.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:38 am

admin wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:04 pm
yea, with plumbing, my thing is always accessibility.
I will not have a chance to access this part of plumbing anymore. Breaking concrete is not really an option, so I just did whatever I think will protect me from that.

I used 4 inch pipe for a main line all over the house with a proper slope. Even from a kitchen sink I went down with 2 inch pipe and immediately went to 4 inch. That will protect me from blockage. I used metal straps to secure pipes firmly against moving in any direction to protect me from shifted pipes during next two stages, foam and concrete. It’s very secured now, you could not move it even if you would wanted to.

Regular post and beam construction does have its advantages. So as warm insulated concrete floor. But your concern is valid.

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:49 am

Yesterday our foam insulation guy did not show up and we can’t find a replacement for him yet. Will have to wait till Monday, hopefully he will be here. While we wait we are finishing up the entry into subdivision.
Attachments
F32C24A1-DAC3-4D77-B7C8-197A25C56AA4.jpeg

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:00 pm

bert.douglas wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:30 am
KDnR wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:49 am
Yesterday our foam insulation guy did not show up and we can’t find a replacement for him yet. Will have to wait till Monday, hopefully he will be here. While we wait we are finishing up the entry into subdivision.
Please explain this picture. Can't figure it out. What comes next?
I will spray closed cell foam insulation on gravel under the joists. Will have 4-6 inches of foam supporting the metal structure. Also will spray sides.

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:09 pm

bert.douglas wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:35 pm
KDnR wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:00 pm
bert.douglas wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:30 am
KDnR wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:49 am
Yesterday our foam insulation guy did not show up and we can’t find a replacement for him yet. Will have to wait till Monday, hopefully he will be here. While we wait we are finishing up the entry into subdivision.
Please explain this picture. Can't figure it out. What comes next?
I will spray closed cell foam insulation on gravel under the joists. Will have 4-6 inches of foam supporting the metal structure. Also will spray sides.
Thanks much. But I was wondering about the other picture. The one with wire cage filled with rocks.
Oh, sorry. Not sure how to answer on this one. We just making the boxes and filling those up with rocks, building the fence, entry. I can make another picture tomorrow with more fence that was done before.

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:18 am

More pictures of our wall
Attachments
91A20EB1-3859-4041-BE20-035123C14D4E.jpeg
95CB333E-3547-426D-B827-0B96DA11B4B3.jpeg

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:52 pm

The same process as on the other house, closed-cell foam insulation, 4 - 5 inches to seal the slab from the ground.
Attachments
IMG_2709.jpg
IMG_2696.jpg
IMG_2692.jpg

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:16 pm

Almost half a mile of pipes...
Attachments
IMG_2727.jpg
IMG_2726.jpg

chilly
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:56 am
Location: Don't tell people I'm from California

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by chilly » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:18 am

@KDnR
Will you be doing the electrical portion? I am curious as to the power outlets used in new homes. There is the two prong "C" outlet at 2.5 amps, a 10 amp "L" outlet with a similar width to the "C" with a ground, and the wider 16 amp outlet, also called "L" but with thicker pins. Some outlets cover all three choices but I wonder if the electrical panel breakers of most new homes are 16 amps and are using the proper heavier wiring, or if homes are spec'ed for 10 amp service. I can also imagine 10 amps for most of the house but one 16 amp circuit for the washer.
Thanks

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:57 am

chilly wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:18 am
@KDnR
Will you be doing the electrical portion? I am curious as to the power outlets used in new homes. There is the two prong "C" outlet at 2.5 amps, a 10 amp "L" outlet with a similar width to the "C" with a ground, and the wider 16 amp outlet, also called "L" but with thicker pins. Some outlets cover all three choices but I wonder if the electrical panel breakers of most new homes are 16 amps and are using the proper heavier wiring, or if homes are spec'ed for 10 amp service. I can also imagine 10 amps for most of the house but one 16 amp circuit for the washer.
Thanks
@chilly
I will be working on this house until its finished, including the electrical part. Actually, I have no clue in electrical work at all but I will have someone very knowledgeable working on it, I will just provide assistance. That is why I can't comment on your post more than this. all of that is a foreign language for me :).

chilly
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:56 am
Location: Don't tell people I'm from California

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by chilly » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:46 am

No problem. Thanks

User avatar
KDnR
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm
Location: Colchagua Valley
Contact:

Re: Building house in Chile the "gringo" way

Post by KDnR » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:55 am

Not moving fast at all with my project. Lots of things going on outside of my project, people that I need to spend some time with. Others are just stealing my time with no regard to it or appreciation. Anyway, at least the walls started to go up.
Attachments
IMG_2799.jpg
IMG_2800.jpg
IMG_2801.jpg

Post Reply