prorroga without certificado de permanencia definitiva

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Groschi

prorroga without certificado de permanencia definitiva

Post by Groschi » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:15 am

Hi,
I am in Brazil and my 365 days outside of Chile are up dec. 20th.
You know the way you keep important documents in such a safe place that in the end you are overdoing it so that you cant find them anymore.
To cut a long story short, I will not be able to go to Chile before dec. 20th and the consulado in Porto Alegre will not give me the prorroga without me going there. I have a scan of the cert and that way I got it done once with a consulado in Germany by post, but Porto Alegre doesnt do it by post, so they want to see me with all of my papers in their office.
Any idea what I can try? Can I apply for a new one online and they have to accept this along with my scan to give me the prorroga?
Any other idea how not to loose my residency?

thanks,

Groschi

mem

Re: prorroga without certificado de permanencia definitiva

Post by mem » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:08 pm

Seriously reconsider just coming to santiago for 1 day and flying back. The hassle of starting over with temporary residency in my mind is far more costly that a quick round trip to santiago from brazil

Groschi

Post by Groschi » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:50 pm

If I was in Guarulhos with money sin limite, yes, good idea.
But I am not in Guarulhos and money is also not hanging on the maracujá plants here.
I am not planing on going to back to Chile to live there, I find Brazil way better, but I would just like to keep the doors open for another few years until I am 100% sure.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:38 pm

You either need to renew it or you will lose it. Give the consulate a call to see what they have to say.

BTW, you've mentioned Porto Alegre, so I'm assuming you're in the South region. There are flights to Chile from Florianópolis starting from $230, round trip. I know you've mentioned not being able to come before December 20th, but it's worth to have that in mind if the consulate cannot help you.

You won't need to go to Guarulhos, and you may have been accounting for that in your financial calculations.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:28 am

By the way, it should be possible for you to get a copy of the certificate online if you have ever gotten a clave única (online password for Chilean bureaucracy).
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.