Yet another South African

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Saffa2019

Yet another South African

Post by Saffa2019 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:12 am

Good morning to all
Forgive me in advance if my first post is one that should actually be split into numerous inquiries on different threads, but not unlike many other South Africans... it's complicated :wink:

I'm not going to bore or horrify or offend my countrymen or others with our well-researched reasons for needing to leave my country of birth in the very near future. Fervent patriots or those who question the growing urgency for departure can be provided with pages of links to the realities. Admin, I wouldn't be surprised if you have been given some insight already. It's real, ugly - and largely uncovered by local or international news.

I considered Chile right from the start of our search for a new home - but believed it unlikely that it was an option. Before I throw my hands up dramatically and start preparing for the heat of Paraguay instead, I'm willing to hang the family underwear on the line once more in the hope that there is, after all, a small chance of us relocating to Chile on a Retirement and Periodic income visa.

We are about to start on the Spanish language courses we have 'borrowed' online or bought. Our home language is English.

My husband and I have extensive history in the conveyor and related industry (bandas/cintas/correas transportadores?)
He is actually currently employed by an international firm with a branch in San Bernardo Chile but we do not want to rely on the possibility of a work visa.
If we can get into Chile, we would prefer to source employment - or failing that, consider a small start-up independently.
(I will also have a Celta qualification by then - already have a TEFL one.)

Once our assets are cashed in, we would have enough to meet the requirements financially - would just have to set something up to pay out regularly, rather than having a lump sum?

BUT:

Time to hang out the family underwear:

Husband and I 48 & 49
Daughter 19 unmarried and still living at home
Adopted daughters x 2 13 & 15
My mother 68 - receives a small pension amounting to around USD 300 / month and has lived with us for the last 20 years

and... 28 year old son - diagnosed with schizophrenia two years ago and fully dependent on us, having never lived independently.
He HAS got a criminal record - clean for 4 years. No sentences served - all suspended and complete. All
prior to diagnosis - marijuana possession prior to our law changes / simple trespass etc.

I understand that my chances would be higher if we left some of the above behind - it cannot and will not happen. I want them out of this country for the same reasons that I need to leave it. The ones who 'stand in the way' of simple migration are the most vulnerable here. I would rather live on rice and beans and in third world conditions - wherever the heck they will take us, with all our challenges, than leave even one behind. My family has endured enough, seen enough, feared enough.

Please give your educated opinion on whether we would have any chance at all.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Yet another South African

Post by admin » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:43 am

o.k., well welcome to the forum.

all that sounds possible.

The hard nut to crack will be the son with the criminal record.

Is it a felony class or misdemeanor class charge (sorry, I come from American legal system)?

If it is a felony and since they changed the law, is it possible to get his record "expunged", since it was a suspended sentence?

that would be ideal, if possible.

It is not impossible to work around that if it can not be wiped from his record, but if we were handling the immigration we would most likely file, see if it rejected because of that charge, then file an appeal and argue that it would not be an equivalent of a felony in Chile and thus does not disqualify him from emigrating.

just some thoughts. we would have to look at the whole situation in more detail.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:52 am

Welcome Saffa2019. I think when you are on the "right" path, the universe will conspire to help you. Good luck

mem

Post by mem » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:44 am

Welcome Saffa2019! You have quite a large family all living under 1 roof. Are you currently living in a city or in the country in SA? Are you looking for urban versus rural in Chile?
What size home are you targeting for your family in terms of bedrooms and built meters? It sounds like you would want a single home for all 7?

You know SA citizens can enter chile on a 90 day tourist Visa that can be extended for 90 more days for a fee from inside of Chile? You would need to have at least applied for temporary residency before the end of the 6 months

Saffa2019

Post by Saffa2019 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:31 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:43 am
o.k., well welcome to the forum.

all that sounds possible.

The hard nut to crack will be the son with the criminal record.

Is it a felony class or misdemeanor class charge (sorry, I come from American legal system)?

If it is a felony and since they changed the law, is it possible to get his record "expunged", since it was a suspended sentence?

that would be ideal, if possible.

It is not impossible to work around that if it can not be wiped from his record, but if we were handling the immigration we would most likely file, see if it rejected because of that charge, then file an appeal and argue that it would not be an equivalent of a felony in Chile and thus does not disqualify him from emigrating.

just some thoughts. we would have to look at the whole situation in more detail.
Thanks for the super swift response! If only there were spaces like this for all migrant options.

I may be able to have the older ones expunged - our term for qualification is 10 years here though, so certainly not all.

I don't know if the offences are considered felonies in Chile but I would not imagine that to be the case in the USA and it is not so here.

Never served any time for either of the suspended sentence issues and it's pretty standard here to give suspended sentences for misdemeanors as a deterrent. Obviously, he obeyed the terms of his suspensions too.
None are for weapons / sexual matters / robbery etc.

(In the case of the trespass one, for instance, he was still untreated and delusional, so he believed that he worked for the police and that he therefore had permission to climb through a window and sleep there! It would be funny if it weren't so darned tragic.)

Am I correct in assuming we could apply and await outcomes before relocation?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:42 pm

there are so many variables involved, there is no way anyone is going to be able to answer that.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Saffa2019

Post by Saffa2019 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:56 pm

mem wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:44 am
Welcome Saffa2019! You have quite a large family all living under 1 roof. Are you currently living in a city or in the country in SA? Are you looking for urban versus rural in Chile?
What size home are you targeting for your family in terms of bedrooms and built meters? It sounds like you would want a single home for all 7?

You know SA citizens can enter chile on a 90 day tourist Visa that can be extended for 90 more days for a fee from inside of Chile? You would need to have at least applied for temporary residency before the end of the 6 months
Thank you very much for your warm welcome.

Yes, we're quite a clan. I sometimes catch myself looking at all of them and wondering where they all suddenly came from :D

We are currently in a relatively small and relaxed coastal city, named Port Elizabeth. I'm not opposed to semi-rural, cheaper options. I would love the privilege of being able to keep a few chooks and plant a tomato or sixty but I would have to consider the possibility for income generation if we want to look at smaller towns.
In a perfect world, I would be living in a region with a cool climate, 15 minutes from a smaller city with a lot of industrial activity. Not likely, but I can hope. Not a great fan of bright lights and crowds.
We will indeed need a pretty large old home - or a piece of land with power and water supply so that we can build cheaply... not materialistic or stuffy folks, so simplicity all the way. The 90 x 2 visa sounds great... just a wee bit risky with potential refusal and a family like ours uprooted and even more challenged.

Saffa2019

Post by Saffa2019 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:59 pm

hlf2888 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:52 am
Welcome Saffa2019. I think when you are on the "right" path, the universe will conspire to help you. Good luck
Thank you for the encouragement. I have always found this to be the case. Now and again, a whispered hint wouldn't hurt though!
Patience, courage, perseverance... no Ninja skills in the first one.

Saffa2019

Post by Saffa2019 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:25 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:42 pm
there are so many variables involved, there is no way anyone is going to be able to answer that.
I accept that the only way to figure out if he qualifies, is to try.

Could we apply from South Africa via Spencer Global and await outcome from here?
It seems incredibly risky to pack up and arrive in Chile on a tourist visa and find ourselves 'rejected'?
With our currency, caution is key.

Would the conservative approach be far more costly than the high-risk version though?

The documentation costs here would not be wasted regardless, as we will ultimately be settling in a South American country and no doubt
require them anyway.

mem

Post by mem » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:57 pm

This likely varies from country to country, but it seems to me that trying it from outside the country via a Chilean consulate takes longer in general and may possibly have a higher on average rejection rate than inside Chile applications handled directly by the intendencia. Also seems to be more misinformation being told to people at chilean consulates in other countries, but it is all just from what I have heard

Having my own family gone through a few different temporary residency visas over the course of a few years that were all done inside of Chile, and ourselves as US citizens. We have never been asked for a criminal report from our home country under temporary residency visas (We have done standard temporaria and subject to work contract temporary), however that will certainly be required for permanent residency visas (in a year or two down the line depending on your temporary visa type).

All that being said, I have heard that even when you enter Chile as a tourist it is possible for immigration at the airport to see each persons criminal history. They check you out to some degree. I don't know if that is just for Interpol level stuff or if there is some other litmus test applied where they may deny entry. You can find a lot of other threads about this on the forum that has more details.

Saffa2019

Post by Saffa2019 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:26 am

Thanks Mem

I have just found a local service that formally confirms that the remaining offenses on the clearance certificate are misdemeanors in South Africa. I am looking into this to see if it is worth it as they also assist with speedier expungement of qualifying offences.

Fingers crossed.