My experience at the extranjeria in Valdivia

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
alextrombone

My experience at the extranjeria in Valdivia

Post by alextrombone » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:36 pm

Buenos días. As immigration to Chile can often be a confusing and frustrating process, I thought I might write about my experience today applying for the Visa Temporaria in the extranjeria in Valdivia, in the hope it may prove helpful to others who wish to begin the process. I’m from the U.K. and married to a Chilean woman.

I arrived in Chile on 01/10/2019 and was given the 90 day tourist card. I got married on 09/11/2019 and after I had received my marriage certificate from the registro civil, I created an account on the trámites website for the extranjerías. I then asked for an appointment the extranjeria, after which I received an email confirming I was in the system and would receive an appointment soon. This was on 13/11/2019 and on 19/11/2019 I received an appointment at 9.50 on 25/11/2019. Due to “force majeure” as they put it, my appointment was postponed until 02/12/2019 (today), I imagine due to strike action.

I arrived about 15 minutes before my designated appointment time. In was absolutely packed with people, most of whom didn’t have an appointment. There was just one lady working there, who would come out every 10 minutes to call in people who had an appointment. I was eventually seen at around 10.30. It was pretty straightforward as I had all the documents I needed (they can be found on the extranjeria website, depending on what visa you need). I asked for the permiso de trabajo con visa en trámite, for which I received a “Formulario 10” with a amount I have to pay. I was told to return in 7-10 to collect my permiso de trabajo. I was also told leaving the country whilst my visa is in trámite is fine. So, considering the current situation in Chile, and the reputation the bureaucracy has here, it was a fairly smooth process, bar the chaos at the extranjeria.

If anyone has any questions, I’m more than happy to help. Of course this is Valdivia, and not Santiago, so I imagine things differ pretty drastically.