shipping from Santiago to US?

General topics related to Living in Chile
mrsmoleman

shipping from Santiago to US?

Post by mrsmoleman » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:23 pm

Hi all,

Not sure if this post fits here, so please let me know if I should move it.

Some context before I ask my questions: the last time I posted here was just as I was heading to Chile in late 2017. Fast forward to a month ago, when I left all my non-essential belongings in my depto in Santiago centro in a rush (panic, TBH) the weekend everything started, unsure of whether I’d return or what would happen. I’m now trying to find the easiest and cheapest way to send for or get rid of these things, preferably the first option if possible. I don’t know the weight of it all but I’d guess it’s ~5 large suitcases. Before anyone comments on how much crap I have for such a short amount of time, I know. I had taken it over bit by bit hoping to stay in Chile for a decade. I hope to return, but it won’t be anytime soon.

I don’t imagine this will be easy with everything going on, but I’d like to at least try to get my things. These are clothes -- including all my professional wardrobe -- professional materials, and small home furnishings (my apartment was furnished) that can all be replaced, but it would take money I don’t have. I’m willing to part with a lot of it, but it would require someone to video chat with me so I could identify what. This all needs to be done before I figure out the next step – terminating my lease. I can ask friends or my landlord, but I don’t want to burden them with this and would rather pay a company. If I’m unable to get these things, I might end up asking friends to go through it, take what they want, and sell the rest. My questions are:

• Can anyone recommend a reliable service that’s running?
• What would you do?

Thanks for sharing your experiences elsewhere on this forum, and I hope everyone’s ok.

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere.

admin
Site Admin

Re: shipping from Santiago to US?

Post by admin » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:44 pm

I doubt you are going to find a company for such a small amount of stuff.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

mrsmoleman

Post by mrsmoleman » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:41 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:18 pm

Mind if I ask how soon you are leaving and where to? Have you considered somewhere in Chile that's not in center of a large city? I have lived in Chile now for 9 years (not counting 1 year as an international student) and I lived in Santiago Centro for 4 of those years and I knew almost from the get go that the downtown life was not for me and not what I aspired to long-term.