ACTIVE CRISIS ZONES

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
Jamers41

Re: ACTIVE CRISIS ZONES

Post by Jamers41 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:08 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:10 pm
The portuariaos are behaving because of the arrival of cruise ships. Thank God for the breathe of air (literally if you think of burning tires and buildings) but in the past weeks, every time I thought things were calming down things would only blow up again as bad or worse...
Please pardon my ignorance, but how do the cruise ships affect the port worker's behavior? Just curious.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:27 pm

well, seems yesterday was the first day without any serious incidents in the regions. all Santiago.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... iones.html
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:54 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:08 am
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:10 pm
The portuariaos are behaving because of the arrival of cruise ships. Thank God for the breathe of air (literally if you think of burning tires and buildings) but in the past weeks, every time I thought things were calming down things would only blow up again as bad or worse...
Please pardon my ignorance, but how do the cruise ships affect the port worker's behavior? Just curious.
San Antonio has already lost a lot of cargo business due to their strikes ordered by FA/PC/CUT while Valparaiso, their historic tormentor remained open to take the redirects. The cruise lines have also made it clear that any disruption would mean Chile will be wiped off the cruise destination map for a long while if not permanently (remember these deals and plannings are made years in advance and ANY uncertainty over the safety of crew and passengers and the ability to be properly provisioned - they are essentially floating mini cities - are not tolerated). Also, when the port workers are on strike, the entire city is closed down with no ability to enter or exit and they are usually more violent than other striking sindicatos.

It was a major economic coup that Valpo lost more than half the cruise business to San Antonio (DUE TO VALPO PORT WORKER STRIKES). Now with massive unemployment due to all the looted and torched businesses and the huge drop in business activity of those that remain, San Antonio is at risk of losing what was a developing tourist industry. Me thinks some sense finally sank in to the port workers on how their behavior may affect the wider community.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Naolin

Post by Naolin » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:37 pm

CUT is supporting the current protest in Plaza Italia today. I didn’t see nearly as much publication for this one as I did for their first two (ymmv).

There’s also another protest point at Costanera Center. Around 5:20 pm ~100 people entered and walked around banging pans.

So basically, so far it’s a normal Friday in the center

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:43 pm

so, yesterday seems to be the first night without major incidents:

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... raves.html

will it last? probably not, but at least a breather.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:48 pm

so 4 days and change with out major incidents.

Still would not recommend hanging out in the known common protests areas, but mostly seems contained to them.

FYI, it looks over 80% of all the protests were focused in three areas. Concepcion, Valparaiso, and downtown Santiago. stay out of those three areas, and your chances of running in to anything go down dramatically.

I would probably throw in most central plazas of any good size city in the country, to get to around 90% of the no go zones.

I expect this to flare-up from time to time, but I suspect we might get the summer off.

One simple reason: summer vacation and / or school year ending.

I don't think the government even gets credit for it.

students from university on down are starting to wrap-up the year, graduations, a few scrambling to make up the missed classes, and students will start trickling home.

once you break-up the large concentrations of students, it is hard to get much going by way of protests; and, the real trouble makers loose their cover they had in the sheer size of the mobs they were using.