Shipping from USA to Chile option

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
KDnR

Shipping from USA to Chile option

Post by KDnR » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:00 pm

Hi there, I need some feedback from people here. I was recently getting several containers from China with some building materials for my construction company here in Chile. I have leased a very secure warehouse near the airport in a brand new complex. In one of the last containers, I received a brand new forklift to be independent in my operation. So far, things are working great.

I need to ship some stuff from the States, but I do not have enough inventory to fill the whole container. In this case, I need to get four garage doors and some other equipment.

It was not possible to find it here in Chile, and the quote I got from one local company was ten times the price of the ones in the USA. And the thing is, they do not have it here, they will order it from Martin overhead garage doors, the company that I used so many times in the USA before. It seems that they are trying to solve their financial situation with one order... typical Chilean approach.

But with this order, it is somewhat expensive to pay for the container. To ship partial is also not an option, costly, and I worry about doors getting damaged or other smaller stuff stolen.

Here is my question. Would somebody be interested in shipping some stuff from the USA in the same container with me to help me offset the cost of shipping? I have a location in Oregon where I can receive the packages. I would want only stuff that is shipped by online retailers, so I have receipts to pass customs here in Chile. I just had a thought about it, that I would love to use the service if someone would offer it but could not find it.

The benefit to ship from OR is that there is no sales tax, some savings there. I am planning to have one container coming from the States once in a few months for now. Eventually to have it delivered on a monthly bases. I am wondering if someone would find it beneficial for them. Personally, I am always in need of something from over there.

Please share your feedback with me, thanks in advance.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Shipping from USA to Chile option

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:12 pm

Contact John Cobin.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:23 pm

I just had a text from my friend with a link about that guy. It seems that he is in jail. I saw his website a few years ago and saw some of his youtube videos but we never met. May I ask, why would I contact him?

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:28 pm

Oh well, contact the owner of this website then.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:16 am

If I would do this, definitely I will need a bit of legal advice also. I will see if interest is there and I will contact him, thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:23 am

EE is just messing with you.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Kel

Post by Kel » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:14 pm

I've shipped pallets before. Its a lot cheaper than an entire container.

Having said that, I might be interested in sharing a container. How much space will you have available and what is your time-frame?
Taking aim from the grassy knoll...

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:15 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:23 am
EE is just messing with you.
I thought he did but was not sure :)

KDnR

Post by KDnR » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:19 pm

Kel wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:14 pm
I've shipped pallets before. Its a lot cheaper than an entire container.

Having said that, I might be interested in sharing a container. How much space will you have available and what is your time-frame?
I would need garage doors to be shipped in 1.5, 2 months. That may be earlier also. Flexible right now. Also, I need some other construction stuff that I can't buy here. I will be able to fill about half of 20-foot container. But if some people will have lighter boxes, that may go on top of my stuff no problem