what is the job market like for foreigners in chile right now?

General job offers and work related issues in Chile.
DVarac

what is the job market like for foreigners in chile right now?

Post by DVarac » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:22 am

Hi everyone. My girlfriend and I are trying to establish ourselves in Santiago. We are both from New York, USA, and are traveling in Argentina right now. We left Chile after the protests started. We would like to make our way back to Santiago within a couple weeks to search for work and settle there. It seems like a difficult time to try to move to Chile. I am looking for your opinions regarding whether I am likely to find work.

In the USA I am a lawyer with experience in corporate and business law. My Spanish ability is conversational but not fluent. I will be on a tourist visa so I would be looking for the employer to provide a contract for a visa ‘al contrato.’

In your opinion, am I likely to find work in the legal field? Am I likely to find work in any professional field?

I really need your opinions. If there is a good chance of me finding work i will stay in Santiago and search for work. If there is little chance of finding work I would have to return to the USA. Thank you for your opinions!

41southchile

Re: what is the job market like for foreigners in chile right now?

Post by 41southchile » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:39 am

To put it lightly. No, Probably not a good time, especially in Santiago. Im sure others will respond in due course, maybe not so lightly.
I can't decide for you. You'll have to make up your own mind.

Zenth

Post by Zenth » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:04 pm

With all those politicians set to lose their jobs soon; they’re all lawyers, you won’t have a chance. Besides, laws are different in Chile. You’ll need to educate yourself.

otravers

Post by otravers » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:49 am

No. Chile is shitting its bed right now, it's not even worth considering.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:10 am

yea, sorry to say, but a u.s. law degree and 50 cents still won't get you a cup of no-es-cafe in Santiago.

I get u.s. attorneys all the time contacting us, often willing to work for free for the international experience. I simply have never been able find a way to even justify the office space from a buisness perspective.

when we have cases involving the u.s., we need attorneys on the ground in the u.s.; and almost always it is because a u.s. attorney or law firm brought us the case that had something to do with chile in the first place. By that point there is typicaly very little of the case that has anything to do with the u.s. law.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:34 pm

oh, and I have the problem that usefulness of a " u.s. attorney " is divided by 50.

I can not tell how many say u.s. divorces, contracts, child custody, wills, and so on I am going to have involving new york, florida, California, or any other particular state at any moment or in the future.

I might have say a mega divorce case out of florida, that last three years, then nothing for another 5 years involving Florida.

so it would be just impossible to have someone sitting around, on the off chance we might have something for them todo someday.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

DVarac

Post by DVarac » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:31 pm

Loud and clear. thank you all for your responses.

Zenth

Post by Zenth » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:25 pm

Actually, if the constitution really changes, you may be on equal footing. Stay informed and good luck.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:32 pm

Zenth wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:25 pm
Actually, if the constitution really changes, you may be on equal footing. Stay informed and good luck.
I was wondering about that. If the constitution gets replaced, will all of the laws stay the same, except the ones that happen to be unconstitutional?
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:16 am

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:32 pm
Zenth wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:25 pm
I was wondering about that. If the constitution gets replaced, will all of the laws stay the same, except the ones that happen to be unconstitutional?
naaa they will have to do some sort of transitional system in the new constitution. getting that right, might be another problem.

All of our attorneys at our Santiago office were making fun the other day of the poor saps that are just finishing their PhDs in constitutional law. woops. guess you can kiss that time and money goodbye. :lol:

Zenth

Post by Zenth » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:06 am

I guess those PhD’s can now be called history majors?

bow26

Post by bow26 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:18 am

Zenth that will be of little comfort to them since they made History classes an optional part of the high school curriculum :lol: not too many history teaching jobs being advertised at the moment...