Travel, permanent residency, expired carnet

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

st130811

Travel, permanent residency, expired carnet

Post by st130811 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:53 pm

My wife has been trying to renew her carnet (pending a PDI appointment to get certificado de vigencia) and has an upcoming trip to the US. Will she be able to make the trip with a valid US Passport but an expired Carnet?

lost gringo

Re: Travel, permanent residency, expired carnet

Post by lost gringo » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:13 pm

I have the same question. Applied for renewal 6 weeks ago and still haven't received new carnet.Went to Extranjeria and was told no problem just leave and re-enter with your passport but it's PDI that makes the determination and I don't trust Extranjeria to actually know. Really don't want to find out they were wrong when I'm at the airport.

I asked on the PDI website but haven't received a reply. The nearest PDI office is 100 kilometers, guess I'll have to take a trip to ask in person unless someone here on the forum has a definitive answer.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:56 pm

the receipt for request or appointment to get the certificate, your expired id, and your valid passport.

other option is try a regional PDI office outside Santiago to get the certificate faster.

If you are between visas, make sure you do not fall under these new regulations too.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17239
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:44 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:56 pm
the receipt for request or appointment to get the certificate, your expired id, and your valid passport.

other option is try a regional PDI office outside Santiago to get the certificate faster.

If you are between visas, make sure you do not fall under these new regulations too.

Not sure what you mean by certificate? I have residencia definitiva, so no visa required. My five year cedula expired a few days ago, I applied for renewal at Registro Civil 6 weeks ago and haven't yet received a new one, they say to be patient it is coming. So the question is can you exit Chile and return with an expired cedula and a current U.S.passport?
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:00 pm

I exited Chile with an expired PD cedula and the PDI officer said nothing (to remind or bring my attention to it). On entry, I did have a longer than needed interaction with the PDI officer at the booth (power tripping no mas) and I did have a "copy" of my PD certificate but she was an ass saying that I needed a copy of "both" sides. I was eventually on my way after she exercised her authority to instill fear, uncertainty and doubt.

So bring your PD cert when you leave.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:56 pm

lost gringo wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:44 pm
admin wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:56 pm

Not sure what you mean by certificate? I have residencia definitiva, so no visa required. My five year cedula expired a few days ago, I applied for renewal at Registro Civil 6 weeks ago and haven't yet received a new one, they say to be patient it is coming. So the question is can you exit Chile and return with an expired cedula and a current U.S.passport?
do you have the receipt they give you when you requested your new id?

that is what you need.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:37 pm

Yes, I have the receipt. Thanks