Temporary Residency, New Procedures for Leaving the country

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

admin
Site Admin

Temporary Residency, New Procedures for Leaving the country

Post by admin » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:06 am

In their vast, and unparalleled wisdom, :lol: :roll: the department of immigration has created a new procedures for leaving the country when you have filed your Temporary residency and your application has not yet been officially acknowledge and included in the immigration computer system.

I want to make this very clear: THIS HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY OTHER IMMIGRATION SITUATION!!!!
Circular29.pdf
(319.22 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Again: THIS HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY OTHER IMMIGRATION SITUATION!!!!

O.k., so essentially, this is a new procedure, but it only effects a very, very small set of people; but, obviously not that small.

If you have filed your temporary residency application, and your tourist visa has expired waiting for the department of immigration to include your application in the system (e.g. you filed by mail in Santiago), you need to send an email to the department of immigration address in the circular above, with a copy of your ticket and other information. They will prioritize your application, for inclusion in to the system.

One of our forum members discovered this the hard way, at the airport on Sunday morning and gave us a call. I will let them post and tell their story if they wish, or remain anonymous if they wish.

Now, this only went in to effect on the 11th of October, and they did not inform anyone that we are aware of. Prior to this, just the receipt that you had mailed in your application was sufficient to prove you were legally in the country, while you waited for official acknowledgement that you had filed.

We can see what sort of problems that might have caused, because well there was no way for the PDI at the airport to know that you really had filed for temporary residency vs. simply being in Chile on an expired tourist.

If you have extended your tourist visa, while waiting for official inclusion of your residency visa in to the database, this procedure should not apply to you.

As big a hassle as that sounds, there might be an upside too. An application that is stuck in the mail box at the department of immigration waiting for months, might get to jump the bureaucratic line and get included in to the system for processing. Might be worth a few people testing that, but I would not expect much improvement with overall processing time; just improving the time to be included for processing.

Also, they say two weeks in advance, but in practice, for example in the middle of this national emergency, I would very much recommend doing it as early as possible.

We are also contacting the department of immigration for more clarification, and additional methods of relief, considering how disrupted everything in the country is right now. The problem with this procedure, as we see it, is that they can not deny the right to travel, simply because the department of immigration is incapable of completing their own work. Really, there needs to be a quicker method, perhaps at the airport, to deal with this.

Standby, more information and clarification coming.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Re: Temporary Residency, New Procedures for Leaving the country

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:30 am

What can I say, other than I was blindsided by this change?

As far as I could see, there were at least eight other people that were barred from leaving the morning at SCL airport due to the same bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo. The fun part is that my wife went out of the country on a vacation about a month ago, and I was going to rendezvous with her: she was on the same boat as me (mailed application w/o info on the system), so we researched in detail the procedure we needed to go through. So I was quite surprised by this change, to say the least.

You know, this is a very fu*&ëd up change. Two ladies were barred from going out to Lima yesterday, and they were flying out for a funeral. They were not amused when they were told that they needed to request a "permiso de salida" one week in advance. I believe one of them said "Should I have asked my aunt to schedule her death!?" Of course, the migraciones bureaucrat at the airport couldn't do a thing to help them.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:33 am

admin wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:06 am
In their vast, and unparalleled wisdom, :lol: :roll: the department of immigration has created a new procedures for leaving the country when you have filed your Temporary residency and your application has not yet been officially acknowledge and included in the immigration computer system.
Admin, the migraciones employee also mentioned that permanent residency requestors that didn't have their permanent residency request show online already and who had an expired temporary residency would also be subject to this. Although most nationalities can do the request online nowadays, I assume extranjeria should have some backlog of requests that were mailed before the change to electronic requests went into effect.

Even though relying on information from their employees is tricky at best, I would say it's worth checking with them to be on the safe side.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:41 am

By the way, I wonder about the legal aspects of keeping people with legal status from leaving the country. Seriously, their system shows that they got my letter and I have the mail receipt from mailing my documents: it's not my fault that they're completely backlogged.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:56 am

yep, we are confirming the effect on the temp residency to permanent residency situation too.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:58 am

Got it. I just wanted to make sure this was on your radar.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:00 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:41 am
By the way, I wonder about the legal aspects of keeping people with legal status from leaving the country. Seriously, their system shows that they got my letter and I have the mail receipt from mailing my documents: it's not my fault that they're completely backlogged.
we are with you in that one.

First thing out my wife's mouth when she heard about this beucratic zinger, "It is getting to the point we have file injunctions at the supreme court to get the department of immigration to do their job".

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:13 am

If it comes to needing a group of people affected as clients to file the injunction, please let me know. I can't speak for others, but I'm interested.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:59 pm

The first day went by and no answer to my email to the Permisos de Salida address. Mumble mumble goddamned bureaucracy mumble

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:30 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:59 pm
The first day went by and no answer to my email to the Permisos de Salida address. Mumble mumble goddamned bureaucracy mumble
Knowing them it will take about 3 months to respond.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:46 pm

Their "circular" mentions they will answer within 5 business days, so I guess I'll need to hire Admin's legal services in case this isn't wrapped up by then. By the way, there's a religious holiday and a civil holiday this week, so I'm pretty much f*&*ed.

Spudzilla

Post by Spudzilla » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:38 pm

I'm caught up in this bs myself. Submitted my papers for definativa last March. No acknowledgement of reciept of the package. This bs reciept from correos means absolutely nothing!!! When I reentered Chile on April 10th, and I presented my expired cedula and the bs correo reciept, I was told by the PDI that I was entering Chile as a tourist.
Of course the fbi criminal background check is seven months old as are my financial documents.
I think we all know what that means: a 10,000 km trip to get all of the documents and apostilles again.
There is a bright side however, that expired cedula is great for scraping bird poop off my windshield.