How will the protests affect our trip?

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
helibel

Re: How will the protests affect our trip?

Post by helibel » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:17 pm

Hmm! We fly out to Chile in a couple of days. We have decided to skip Santiago completely on the way down and booked a domestic flight to Valdivia, rent a car there and stay pretty close to home. How likely are we to have problems at the airport? flight delays?
LOL there is very little seafood in Futrono and Llifen and I might be forced to cancel the trip Entirely if you tell me I shouldn’t travel to Valdivia to eat Congrio and Pailas.
We do have two nights in Santiago in early December, I am keeping my finger crossed that we will be able to travel across Santiago to Lo Barnechea to at least see family for one meal.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:26 pm

helibel wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:17 pm
Hmm! We fly out to Chile in a couple of days. We have decided to skip Santiago completely on the way down and booked a domestic flight to Valdivia, rent a car there and stay pretty close to home. How likely are we to have problems at the airport? flight delays?
LOL there is very little seafood in Futrono and Llifen and I might be forced to cancel the trip Entirely if you tell me I shouldn’t travel to Valdivia to eat Congrio and Pailas.
We do have two nights in Santiago in early December, I am keeping my finger crossed that we will be able to travel across Santiago to Lo Barnechea to at least see family for one meal.
Had a gringo friend bus up to Stgo last monday night, to buy a pick up, I did suggest he was crazy, but off he went from Puerto Varas and was there all day Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, he bought a pick up. The guys at the dealership must of been thinking "wtf is this crazy gringo doing buying a pick up in the middle of street protests and tear gas canisters " he drove back down here near to Llanquihue Friday.
He stayed at a hostels in Provi and downtown, he said it was pretty chaotic in the evenings and just stayed in his room or next door to the hostel had a few beers and watches running groups of vandals and protesters being chased by the police with teargas, while those in the bar yelled verbal abuse from the sidewalk. After that he stayed in his room and didnt venture out in the evenings. That was ground zero so to speak.
The South is fine, outside the urban areas . It changes daily but every thing you are doing is possible, just expect delays at anytime if you are near the cities. Flights are as normal, and have been so far from what I have seen and heard, no issues.
I can't decide for you. You'll have to make up your own mind.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:43 pm

well, possible some sort of strike for airline workers the 12th

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Economia/ ... tiago.html

probably the worse thing about these strikes, is they are terribly inconsistent. normal strikes, are typically announced a week or two in advance, and everyone adjust accordingly.

right now, they sometimes happen when announced, and others not so much; just to then actually happen a couple days later.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:49 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:43 pm
well, possible some sort of strike for airline workers the 12th

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Economia/ ... tiago.html

probably the worse thing about these strikes, is they are terribly inconsistent. normal strikes, are typically announced a week or two in advance, and everyone adjust accordingly.

right now, they sometimes happen when announced, and others not so much; just to then actually happen a couple days later.
Guess my mother in law wont be flying back tomorrow to Santiago 😢.

Just got this through from NZ embassy

This is a message from the New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Please pass this message on to other New Zealanders in Chile who may not be registered.

Large demonstrations are continuing in Santiago and other cities across Chile. A nationwide general strike has been called by unions for tomorrow, Tuesday 12 November. New Zealanders in Chile should continue to monitor local media for updates and follow the instructions and advice of the local authorities. In light of the civil unrest you should expect to see a significant police presence in major cities.

Transport links may be impacted, including by blockades on inter-city highways or potential delays at airports. Airport workers have announced that they will participate in tomorrow’s general strike, which will likely cause significant disruption to Santiago international airport and other airports in Chile. You should check the status of your flight with your airline before travelling to the airport. Public transport links within Santiago and other cities are running a limited service and may also be affected by the strike.

New Zealanders in Chile should remain vigilant of the situation and avoid protests and demonstrations, as even those that are intended to be peaceful have the potential to turn violent with little or no warning. Police may use tear gas and/or water cannons to disperse demonstrations
I can't decide for you. You'll have to make up your own mind.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:01 pm

41southchile wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:49 pm
A nationwide general strike has been called by unions for tomorrow, Tuesday 12 November.
What does a general strike typically affect? Or not affect, if it affects almost everything?
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:24 pm

oh, I have been getting spam from the u.s
embassy for weeks. I think i read one.

basically said what it always does, "if you have a problem, don't call us".

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:06 pm

well, seems just about everyone in chile went on strike, but the airports.

helibel

Post by helibel » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:29 pm

Thanks
A bit nerve racking wondering if we will get south with out issues.