Foriegners, STAY AWAY FROM PROTESTS!!!! Obey the curfew

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 18890
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Foriegners, STAY AWAY FROM PROTESTS!!!! Obey the curfew

Post by admin » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:36 pm

If you are foriegner in Chile under any visa or resident in the country, stay away from ALL protests.

YOU MUST HAVE IDENTIFICATION ON YOU AT ALL TIMES!!!

Do not even stop to watch. leave the area of all protests immidiatly. You can be detained just for being near a protest.

Stay off the street durring curfew hours, and pay close attention to the news for sudden changes in where there are curfews in effect and changes in hours of curfews. Be home or inside long before they go in to effect.

The consequences are far more serious for foriegners than a chilean citizen. Even for chileans, under the special state of emergency laws, an arrest can have up to 10 years in prison.

If you are detained for protesting or being on the street without the permission of the police, even by accident, a report of your arrest is automatically forwarded to the department of immigration.

The department of immigration will cancel your visa, and order you to leave the country.

You can not enter Chile for 10 years.

There is no trial or court involved in this process. There is no appeal. You do not even need to be convicted of a crime, just detained is sufficient.

If you are convicted of a crime, you will have to serve your sentence, and then be deported after your sentence is completed

Under the current political climate, no one in the government is going to feel sorry for you.

Do not dismiss how the serious this situation is, as a foriegner in the country.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 18890
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Foriegners, STAY AWAY FROM PROTESTS!!!! Obey the curfew

Post by admin » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:41 pm

I post this, because we have seen a lot of foriegners arrested for participating in the looting. Some have been killed in the looting and other incidents.

however, I just watched a "peaceful" protest on TV, and it was full of foriegners dancing.

This is not a musical festival
, and no matter what your well meaning Chilean friends might say, IT IS ILLEGAL FOR YOU TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY POLITICAL DEMONSTRATIONS IN CHILE OF ANY KIND!!!!

It is technically illegal, for anyone to even gather in public groups under the emergency laws we are under. The police have been tolerating them in the interest of maintaining some peace on the street. That is totally arbitrary, and up to the local commander. It can change at any second.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 18890
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Foriegners, STAY AWAY FROM PROTESTS!!!! Obey the curfew

Post by admin » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:59 pm

I feel I also need to explain, especially to fairly new foreigners to chile, a rather subtle but nasty political tradition in Chile.

Foreigners being used for political purposes.

The political left are best known for it, but the political far right would also be happy to put you to political use too, if it serves their purposes.

There is a belief among certain segments of chile by getting a foreigner involved in a political situation, they can force a diplomatic incident.

DO NOT FALL FOR THE FRIEND WHO TELLS YOU NOTHING WILL HAPPEN!!!!

FYI, I HIGHLY DOUBT UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES, any embassy in the country is going to do anything for you if you are arrested other than help show you to the door; or ship your body out of the country.

They are not going to want to get involved in testing the chilean goverment right now; especially with the politics regarding immigration being another major social can of worms the government is trying to keep a lid on right now.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 18890
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Foriegners, STAY AWAY FROM PROTESTS!!!! Obey the curfew

Post by admin » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:06 pm

oh, and do you really want to take a Spanish test, at the end of the barrel of a gun?

Especially, with some super low educated nervious
18 year old solider administrating the test at 2 A.M. in the morning?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 7807
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Foriegners, STAY AWAY FROM PROTESTS!!!! Obey the curfew

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:17 pm

I'm sure you will still get a call in the early morning hours from some young foreigner or their parents.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

User avatar
Dosedmonkey
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 890
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:27 am

Re: Foriegners, STAY AWAY FROM PROTESTS!!!! Obey the curfew

Post by Dosedmonkey » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:23 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:06 pm
oh, and do you really want to take a Spanish test, at the end of a barrel of a gun?

Especially with some super low educated nervious
18 year old solider administrating the test at 2 A.M. in the morning?
Even with fluent Spanish at 21:00 that seems like a bad idea.

Respect the Curfew, leave plenty of time to get home.

I recommend not having an opinion even when talking to friends, as this is going to be very personal to most people. A lot of history is being dragged up, and we weren't born in to it.
As seen on TV a single line can get you branded as a dictator supporter, or worse at the moment, in support of the elite.

Plenty of Chileans tried using me for their own agenda in the 5 years of living in Santiago. Be careful of people's true intentions, what is their motive for befriending you. Sounds very untrusting and sad, but even as a suspicious person I was surprised at what people tried to do to influence and palm money off of me, how involved they can get for personal gain. This is the exact reason so many conspiracy theories exist. No Chilean trusts another Chilean a less they know them very well!

There were some Chileans very nice and honest to me, but I couldn't differentiate them from other Chileans who were complete snakes until years passed.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 18890
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Foriegners, STAY AWAY FROM PROTESTS!!!! Obey the curfew

Post by admin » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:39 pm

well, the most common examples in recent years is chilean hippy friends trying to convince their gringo friend it is legal to grow, own, or smoke marijuana.

Everyone also needs to keep in mind, that none of these young Chileans protesting were even alive when the dictatorship was in power. They have some romantic view of the "good old days". This is all knew to them too.

so, that friendly hippy girl you met at the bar, I am sure she is a blast to hangout with, WHEN THE COUNTRY IS NOT UNDER MARTIAL LAW!!!!
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Ripsigg
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 737
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:55 pm

Re: Foriegners, STAY AWAY FROM PROTESTS!!!! Obey the curfew

Post by Ripsigg » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:45 pm

lots of posts there and it's somewhat confusing. Let me get this straight. If I am a foreigner, I shouldn't participate in any protest and other public gathering under emergency laws. The only exception is if a)a young pretty hippy girl give me weed and asks me to go with her and b) my wife gives her written approval? Did I get that right?

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1047
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Foriegners, STAY AWAY FROM PROTESTS!!!! Obey the curfew

Post by 41southchile » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:15 pm

Ripsigg wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:45 pm
lots of posts there and it's somewhat confusing. Let me get this straight. If I am a foreigner, I shouldn't participate in any protest and other public gathering under emergency laws. The only exception is if a)a young pretty hippy girl give me weed and asks me to go with her and b) my wife gives her written approval? Did I get that right?
🤣
Please post back informing the step by step process you use for obtaining written approval from your wife, thanks in advance.
I can't decide for you. You'll have to make up your own mind.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 18890
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Foriegners, STAY AWAY FROM PROTESTS!!!! Obey the curfew

Post by admin » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:23 am

Here is the law, and it provides for extreme broad discretion to the government to block or remove any foreigner involved in social or political unrest:


Decreto Ley 1094

ESTABLECE NORMAS SOBRE EXTRANJEROS EN CHILE

Artículo 15.- Se prohibe el ingreso al país de los siguientes extranjeros:
1.- Los que propaguen o fomenten de palabra o por escrito o por cualquier otro medio, doctrinas que tiendan a destruir o alterar por la violencia, el orden social del país o su sistema de gobierno, los que estén sindicados o tengan reputación de ser agitadores o activistas de tales doctrinas y, en general, los que ejecuten hechos que las leyes chilenas califiquen de delito contra la seguridad exterior, la soberanía nacional, la seguridad interior o el orden público del país y los que realicen actos contrarios a los intereses de Chile o constituyan un peligro para el Estado;


Artículo 17.- Los extranjeros que hubieren ingresado al país no obstante encontrarse comprendidos en alguna de las prohibiciones señaladas en el artículo 15 o que durante su residencia incurran en alguno de los actos u omisiones señalados en los números 1, 2 y 4 del artículo indicado, podrán ser expulsados del territorio nacional.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 18890
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Foriegners, STAY AWAY FROM PROTESTS!!!! Obey the curfew

Post by admin » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:27 am

41southchile wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:15 pm
Ripsigg wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:45 pm
lots of posts there and it's somewhat confusing. Let me get this straight. If I am a foreigner, I shouldn't participate in any protest and other public gathering under emergency laws. The only exception is if a)a young pretty hippy girl give me weed and asks me to go with her and b) my wife gives her written approval? Did I get that right?
🤣
Please post back informing the step by step process you use for obtaining written approval from your wife, thanks in advance.
yea, in that case, you might have way bigger problems than martial law. If you are detain by soliders, just explain that you don't have permission from your wife to be out after curfew with the hippy girl. They will be like, ".....ooooo, dude, you are so dead already, move it along". :lol: :shock:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 18890
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Foriegners, STAY AWAY FROM PROTESTS!!!! Obey the curfew

Post by admin » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:37 am

admin wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:23 am
Here is the law, and it provides for extreme broad discretion to the government to block or remove any foreigner involved in social or political unrest:
Decreto Ley 1094

ESTABLECE NORMAS SOBRE EXTRANJEROS EN CHILE

Artículo 15.- Se prohibe el ingreso al país de los siguientes extranjeros:
1.- Los que propaguen o fomenten de palabra o por escrito o por cualquier otro medio, doctrinas que tiendan a destruir o alterar por la violencia, el orden social del país o su sistema de gobierno, los que estén sindicados o tengan reputación de ser agitadores o activistas de tales doctrinas y, en general, los que ejecuten hechos que las leyes chilenas califiquen de delito contra la seguridad exterior, la soberanía nacional, la seguridad interior o el orden público del país y los que realicen actos contrarios a los intereses de Chile o constituyan un peligro para el Estado;


Artículo 17.- Los extranjeros que hubieren ingresado al país no obstante encontrarse comprendidos en alguna de las prohibiciones señaladas en el artículo 15 o que durante su residencia incurran en alguno de los actos u omisiones señalados en los números 1, 2 y 4 del artículo indicado, podrán ser expulsados del territorio nacional.
FYI, this is also one of the reasons we tell every foriegner that is in Chile as a full permanent resident, as soon as you qualify for citizenship (5 years of residency), apply for citizenship.

There is no protection for a permanent resident from being deported. Only full citizens.

I see way too many permanent residents act like they are immune to deportation, simply because they have permanent residency.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Post Reply