State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
ExpatBob

Re: State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

Post by ExpatBob » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:14 am

If you had to gtfo, a boat is your best option even if it is slow. Don’t forget, even the slowest sailboat can cover 100 miles in 24 hours because it can just keep going 24/7 without traffic, unlike a car. Much better than walking through a mine-trapped desert.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:48 am

How much do we think house prices/apartment prices have fallen from say 10th October 2019 (before protests etc started) to today 10th November 2019?

I think it's going to be very hard to get any data on it. Asking prices may be the same, but the room for negotiation will perhaps go up, and sale prices will become a lower % of the asking price. A difficulty may occur when sellers stubbornly insist that their house is worth the same as before.

In pesos (CLP) I'd guess declines of:

Whole of Chile: 2%-10%
Santiago: 5%-30%
Centro: 10%-40%
Places very near major hotspots (e.g. 1 minute walk from Plaza Italia): 20%-50%
Cheaper housing in average neighbourhoods: 0% - 5% (people may eventually benefit from inequality reduction)
Upper middle class housing in - large houses, 5000m2 plots etc in RM: 5%-15%
Rural areas in south Chile: 0%?

Does it look plausible?

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:53 am

Admin,

Imagine you come to this forum for the first time in a while today. Perhaps a person considering moving here, or just wanting to keep tabs on things. You don't want to read through >170 pages though. What you need is a shorter summary of what's going on, so a separate thread that explains things in 300-1000 words and then major updates and news are added only. Does that seem like a good idea?

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:35 pm

Britkid wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:48 am
How much do we think house prices/apartment prices have fallen from say 10th October 2019 (before protests etc started) to today 10th November 2019?

I think it's going to be very hard to get any data on it. Asking prices may be the same, but the room for negotiation will perhaps go up, and sale prices will become a lower % of the asking price. A difficulty may occur when sellers stubbornly insist that their house is worth the same as before.

In pesos (CLP) I'd guess declines of:

Whole of Chile: 2%-10%
Santiago: 5%-30%
Centro: 10%-40%
Places very near major hotspots (e.g. 1 minute walk from Plaza Italia): 20%-50%
Cheaper housing in average neighbourhoods: 0% - 5% (people may eventually benefit from inequality reduction)
Upper middle class housing in - large houses, 5000m2 plots etc in RM: 5%-15%
Rural areas in south Chile: 0%?

Does it look plausible?
I'm 10 minutes away from Plaza Itália, barely within viewing range, and there are about 8 apartments being advertised to rent right now, up from 1-2 last month. Asking process haven't dropped, but I assume actual closing prices will be at least 10% lower than the asking prices.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

mem

Post by mem » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:39 pm

Hotels seem to be cutting rates in big cities. Anyone else notice reduced rates on decent hotels? Same thing happened in hong kong. Trying to lure in tourists and business to overcome the negative press. Works for me

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:57 pm

Is there anyone from Puerto Varas and/or Valdivia here? How are the protests down there? I was thinking about visiting in the next few days, and I was wondering if things have died down there already
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:38 pm

Well if this article has some truth in it Argentina has got tabs on a couple of suspected extremist organisations they think are operating in Chile.

https://www.eldinamo.cl/nacional/2019/1 ... ssion=true

Well housing prices and rent prices are two different things. No one buys a house during this sort of situation, a less it is very cheap. There is no point investing in such a thing when the outcome could be very bad and you pay have paid well over what it will be worth in a few months.

Renting on that other hand, you got to live somewhere and the risk of losing a bit of money is much smaller.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:35 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:57 pm
Is there anyone from Puerto Varas and/or Valdivia here? How are the protests down there? I was thinking about visiting in the next few days, and I was wondering if things have died down there already
oh no, don't come down. :mrgreen:

it is worse than Europe in Frutillar today.

Full of terroristas (tourists) and refugees (chileans) today.

They are swimming all over the lake, and walking around like they they own the place.

:lol: :alien:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:44 pm

Britkid wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:53 am
Admin,

Imagine you come to this forum for the first time in a while today. Perhaps a person considering moving here, or just wanting to keep tabs on things. You don't want to read through >170 pages though. What you need is a shorter summary of what's going on, so a separate thread that explains things in 300-1000 words and then major updates and news are added only. Does that seem like a good idea?
during the 2010 earthquake, I dedicated an entire sub-forum to the earthquake. with lots of different subjects.

this time I was not sure if this was going to be a flash in the pan and we all move on, or something bigger and more sustained.

so yea, i am thinking of dedicating a full sub forum to the subject.

which, will probably mean it all comes to an end the next day.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:47 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:57 pm
I was in Puerto Varas a week ago and it was pretty normal. Some of the retail stores have boarded up their windows as a precaution but all in all it was calm and people were carrying on as normal.

I'd stay away from Puerto Montt though, they've blocked the main rotunda into town quite a few times and there have been blockades in a lot of the main streets.
I had to pick up my wife at the main bus station and ended up driving around following lines of cars through side streets completely lost and had my windshield cracked by a rock thrower.
Made it to the bus station two hours late but my wife's bus from Bariloche was also two hours late because the driver refused to drive Ruta 5 from Osorno to PM because he feared blockades and rock throwers. so they put everyone on a local bus. :D
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

Ignite

Post by Ignite » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:31 pm

most people only talk about the bad things about Chile and our model, and the same people never talk about the good/great things about our model. It seems the left loves to take a shit on everything that the right does.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:39 pm

Ignite wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:31 pm
most people only talk about the bad things about Chile and our model, and the same people never talk about the good/great things about our model. It seems the left loves to take a shit on everything that the right does.
well, that was kind of the entire point of this website, and a vast majority is dedicated to the great things in Chile.

just we also can't pretend everything is rainbows and unicorns, even when there is nothing special going on.