Immigration system collapse, October 2019 update

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

admin
Site Admin

Immigration system collapse, October 2019 update

Post by admin » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:16 pm

well, the immigration system at this point is pretty much broken.

I had a good chuckle this morning when I came across this article about all the Venezuelans with expired ID by the Venezuelan ambassador. My first thought was, 'welcome to the party'.

https://www.latercera.com/politica/noti ... ut/854860/

It appears there are now tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people with expired (or soon to expire) chilean IDs in the country waiting on the department of immigration response to their immigration request. Most seem to be trapped between temporary and permanent residency.

An 8 month wait, minimum, is pretty much the norm now, for anything at the department of immigration.

which is causing a cascade effect of sorts in all sorts of other bureaucratic systems.

In their infinite wisdom, banco estado, built a new computer system that will only allow people to withdraw money from their accounts with a valid chilean ID; inspite of the law recognizing among other things, foreign passports. We might actually be forced to file a case against banco estado on behalf of some clients, that are being refused access to their money. Those are gringos.

now, imagine your a poor Venezuelan without even. a valid passport or other form of ID.

I am sure we are not the only ones running in to this problem.

That said, we are not very surprised by this mess. the amnesty they implemented last year or two for all the haitens and Venezuelans, was bound to jam up the system in the second year; before they even finished the initial round of temporary residency aplications. The system was simply not built to process aplications in this number, and in that manner.

so, do not assume anything will be quick when it comes to immigration. Plan accordingly. For instance, make sure you have other ways to access money durring your temporary residency period. don't wait until the last moment to file.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Immigration system collapse, October 2019 update

Post by admin » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:33 pm

Looking at my crystal ball, if they are this backed up now, considering the summer months are notoriously backed up at immigration, by January or February, we could easily see processing times exceeding a year for temporary or permanent residency aplications in 2020 and beyond.

That is assuming the administration does not step in and wave some magical beucratic wand to break the logjam.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:35 pm

They're not the only ones running into this problem. I've started my new VIsa Temporaria process (was out of the country and left before getting definitiva) in May. They've acknowledged receipt of my letter (Brazilians do it through the mail), but that's it. Funnily enough, my wife's app has just been approved. Kind of a lottery. I can use Banco Estado through my phone, but I can't use it through the internet. I went to talk to the manager to get a new "senha internet", but she told me I could only do it with a valid ID.

So, absolutely not a Venezuelan-only problem.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:16 am

Can't the problem just be solved by more money which can be used to give more jobs to people to deal with this situation which can reduce unemployment. And can't the money be provided by increasing the visa fees so that they cover the actual cost of the immigration system including payment of overtime and employment of extra people?

And if that's a high cost, wouldn't that deter immigrants, reducing their numbers, and also help?

Perhaps allow for loans for those leaving the difficult situation of Venezuela, or other asylum seekers, let them pay it back out of their salaries?

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:24 am

Yea, I have been waiting 13 months for my permanent residency to be approved. The worst part is that with an expired cedula you cannot sign a work contract or even renew your driver's license.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:36 am

I filed an information request with them through their "Contact us" form 10 days ago and they've answered me last afternoon.

"Su solicitud Nro. REDACTED, ingresada con fecha 30/09/2019 registra la siguiente solución:

Estimado REDACTED: Junto con saludar, informamos que su solicitud de Residencia aún no ha sido ingresada, dependerá de los flujos de solicitudes que vayan llegando. Podemos verificar con el número de referencia de correos de Chile mencionado que, la documentación enviada se encuentra recepcionada en el área correspondiente. Cuando estos sean ingresados le llegará una respuesta al domicilio registrado. Solo entonces su tramite ingresara a nuestro sistema y su registro aparecerá en la sección Consulte su tramite. Le sugerimos consultar en 20 días más a través de nuestros canales de atención.

Consulte su trámite:
https://consultas.extranjeria.gob.cl/index.action
Contact Center: 600 486 3000 – 232393100 – 224863000
Correo: https://siac.interior.gob.cl/formulario ... on=ingresa"

So they've acknowledged they've received my paperwork, they just couldn't get themselves to process it, and they're telling me to look again in 20 days. So... OK, I guess? At least I got an answer.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:21 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:36 am
I filed an information request with them through their "Contact us" form 10 days ago and they've answered me last afternoon.

"Su solicitud Nro. REDACTED, ingresada con fecha 30/09/2019 registra la siguiente solución:

Estimado REDACTED: Junto con saludar, informamos que su solicitud de Residencia aún no ha sido ingresada, dependerá de los flujos de solicitudes que vayan llegando. Podemos verificar con el número de referencia de correos de Chile mencionado que, la documentación enviada se encuentra recepcionada en el área correspondiente. Cuando estos sean ingresados le llegará una respuesta al domicilio registrado. Solo entonces su tramite ingresara a nuestro sistema y su registro aparecerá en la sección Consulte su tramite. Le sugerimos consultar en 20 días más a través de nuestros canales de atención.

Consulte su trámite:

So they've acknowledged they've received my paperwork, they just couldn't get themselves to process it, and they're telling me to look again in 20 days. So... OK, I guess? At least I got an answer.
It takes about 4 months for it to show up on the web page.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:52 am

yea, there is a system wide requirement we are rapidly seeing reintroducing is the mandatory official translation of documents in languages other than spanish. for years they waved the requirement to translate for example english or other European languages. Its back. They have been using it recently as an excuse to not process aplications. not all aplications, but they are popping up more and more.

so, rather than fix their internal problems, they are throwing the problems out the window, so they can come back in the front door in the a few months. another fine self-inflicted bureaucratic wound.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:46 pm

Britkid wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:16 am
Can't the problem just be solved by more money which can be used to give more jobs to people to deal with this situation which can reduce unemployment. And can't the money be provided by increasing the visa fees so that they cover the actual cost of the immigration system including payment of overtime and employment of extra people?

And if that's a high cost, wouldn't that deter immigrants, reducing their numbers, and also help?

Perhaps allow for loans for those leaving the difficult situation of Venezuela, or other asylum seekers, let them pay it back out of their salaries?
That all sounds far too sensible and logical Britkid. Government dont work like that , for whatever reason, not only in Chile , paralysis through analysis.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. - Darwin

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:49 pm

GAminer wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:21 am
tiagoabner wrote:

Consulte su trámite:

Yeah, I know. It has been about 5 months already, which is why I contacted them. Also, I sent my wife's visa application on the same day and it has been approved already.

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:47 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:49 pm
GAminer wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:21 am
tiagoabner wrote:

Consulte su trámite:

Yeah, I know. It has been about 5 months already, which is why I contacted them. Also, I sent my wife's visa application on the same day and it has been approved already.
Her application for permanent residency was approved in 5 months? That is amazingly fast!

I called chile atiende since the extranjería contact center's phone line is always disconnected to inquire about the status of my application. They told me that the average wait time is between 12 to 15 months for permanent residency. I think I am just going to stop calling because it seems everytime I do they add a month to the wait time.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:46 pm

Both of our applications are for "visa temporaria", not for "permanencia definitiva". We've lived in Chile before, but we left the country at the 8th month of our temporary visas, which made us uneligible at the time to apply for permanent residency - it needs to be applied within the last 3 months of your visa. So we've applying for new temporary visas now that we are back in the country.