There goes the neighborhood!!! Peru, Ecuador, etc.

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

There goes the neighborhood!!! Peru, Ecuador, etc.

Post by admin » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:01 pm

well, I suspect a lot of this has do with the toxic mix for most latin American countries, unusually high foriegn debt, strong dollar and weak commodities prices; then also, might just be the neighbors being the neighbors.

regardless, we got crisis in following south American countries:

Peru
Ecuador
Argentina
Venezuela

on close watch:
Brazil. --- seems to be stabilizing to some degree
Colombia. --- been making progress, but some worrying signs

keeping an eye Uruguay too. election coming up, although it tends to keep it together for the most part.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Re: There goes the neighborhood!!! Peru, Ecuador, etc.

Post by admin » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:07 pm

woops, almost forgot one:

the United states of America

:lol: :roll:

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:15 am

admin, can you give us some sort of overview to the situation in peru? Or perhaps links to analysis/news? I get what's going on in ecuador, colombia, argentina, and brazil, but peru to me is a mystery. There seem to be frequent changes of president and lots of accusations of corruption with few associated facts. Meanwhile, there is a ongoing strike/ paralysis is part of the mining district. A few months ago peru pompously announced that it would be showing venezuela how to have effective government. Now peru has a lock-out of the congress, police and military is the streets, so what gives? Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:05 pm

well, for all the PR stunts the Peruvian gov might do about wonders of their economy, it is still 30+ years behind chile. The only place in the world i have seen someone use stone tools, is in Peru. It is still extremely racist, unequal, corrupt society. It would be a proper banana republic, if they grew more bananas.

This latest round of political crisis, and my own pet theory, is because the lima gov gave in to the indian protesters blocking the mining projects, canceling for example the permit for tia Maria copper mine just a month after it was issued; there was no way the powers that run the country (i.e. own) were going to put up with the president blocking billions of dollars in investments. They have gotten very very rich in recent years off of the mining and other industry growth; and at the same time, they would just as soon shoot the indians, as negotiate with them.

Thus, here we are. the president has got to go. the president desolved Congress, in attempt to fight corruption; but, the corruption parties were not having any of that crap.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:22 pm

which my interpretation pretty much is echoed by this New York times article:

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEJ ... id=US%3Aen

a point that is missing from that article, is the strong support that the right has in lima; even among the working and middle class.

I had conversation with a taxi driver in lima. he equated what fujimorie did to Pinochet, saying, "fujimorie saved peru like Pinochet saved chile".

read in to that whatever you like, but it is an eyebrow raising statement from a taxi driver all the same.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:27 pm

20191004_122629.jpg

This photo sums up the corruption and disfunction of peru.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:32 pm

I asked my friends from Peru that were showing us around lima, " doesn't that sign say more about the incompetence of the current administration, than the one that failed to finish the bridge"?

They said, "That is why we live in Europe".

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:10 pm

Thanks admin. It does look pretty bleak.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:35 pm

and, then we got multiple crisis that seem to be intersecting in peru; or, at least the Venezuelans seem to be taking more than their fair share of blame. can you imagine leaving the mess in Venezuela, just to get stuck in the middle of another one?

https://www.caracaschronicles.com/2019/ ... s-in-peru/

I am really worried that the Venezuelans, in both Argentina, Peru, and Ecuador all collectively say, "we have seen this shit show before, we are moving on to Chile before it gets any worse".

With all this instability, there is another million plus poor immigrants on chile's doorstep, both venezuelans and direct neighbors.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:41 pm

I generally do not buy in to blaiming Washington for the ills of latin America, but this one is pretty much has a 'made in America' label.

I park the blame for all this on the white house front lawn; between the trade war, and the war on immigrants, and generally being a moron, Trump has managed to single handily reverse and destabilize 30+ years of progress in Latin America.

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:20 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:41 pm
I generally do not buy in to blaiming Washington for the ills of latin America, but this one is pretty much has a 'made in America' label.

I park the blame for all this on the white house front lawn; between the trade war, and the war on immigrants, and generally being a moron, Trump has managed to single handily reverse and destabilize 30+ years of progress in Latin America.
Blaming Trump for all the ills of Latin America is like blaming Putin for all the ills of... insert your favourite shithole country here... Was he the one who approved plane-fulls of Haitians entering Chile with identical brown envelopes in hand? Was he the one who decided not to conduct any investigation of this conspiracy here in Chile?

mem

Post by mem » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:59 am

The news articles about Ecuador look pretty apocalyptic pictures of fires and soldiers in the streets, no flights out, etc

However the expats there seen to be downplaying it all..saying it's basically business as usual.

I expect the truth is somewhere in the middle. The cities are certainly feeling it more than the countryside.

Funny there was an article circulating recently that smart american retirees are going to Ecuador to retire in 3000sf houses on a $2000/month budget

Thanks but no thanks...not going to put down roots in a third world country that uses actual USD for their primary operating currency.

Chile still reigns supreme as the best Latin american expat destination.

We have some friends that are an American and Ecuadorean married couple that lived in Chile for a few years and now moved to the US...they seem totally unconcerned about Ecuador. The woman has family in Salinas still.