Can someone explain the zona franca and what it means if you buy a car in those zones(Arica/Coyhaique)?

General topics related to Living in Chile
vamoschile

Can someone explain the zona franca and what it means if you buy a car in those zones(Arica/Coyhaique)?

Post by vamoschile » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:01 pm

All,

I am wanting to buy a used car and I keep seeing cars for sales in the north or south of the country and the ad says in the zona franca. I have asked local Chileans around me and they say it just means more tax. Does anyone have more experience with this? How and what exactly would the tax be? Is it a bad idea to buy in these zones?

Thanks

admin
Site Admin

Re: Can someone explain the zona franca and what it means if you buy a car in those zones(Arica/Coyhaique)?

Post by admin » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:36 pm

to buy a car there, and use it outside a zona, you have to pay the tax exactly the same as if you imported a car from a foreign country.

further, they sell used cars in the zonas that can not be driven outside the zona due to emissions controls.

that is just to start.

mega bureaucratic mess. forget about it, unless you are full resident of a zona franca.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

vamoschile

Re: Can someone explain the zona franca and what it means if you buy a car in those zones(Arica/Coyhaique)?

Post by vamoschile » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:25 pm

Thanks for the answer admin. I will just look for a car outside the zona franca in Chile.