Worker Dependent Visa query

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Worker Dependent Visa query

Post by 210191 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:13 am

Hello!

I am English & my boyfriend is French, we both live and work in Spain. My boyfriend's employer has offered him a new position starting next year and it is based in Santiago. We would like to move to Chile together or not at all, so this morning we visited the Chilean consulate in Madrid to ask for some advice on what my options are regarding a visa.

We were told that I have 2 options:
1)get married/a civil union for a 'worker dependent visa' which would be valid for the duration of his work visa
OR
2) find a Chilean company to employ me and obtain a work visa of my own.

The second option is not possible, I already have a full time position in a company where I have worked for 8 years now. My job is based in Spain, I pay taxes in Spain, I have Spanish residency, but my employer is happy for me to work remotely from any country in the world (the role is completely internet based).

So.... we are thinking of applying for 'Pareja de hecho'/civil union in Spain and opting for the worker dependent visa. I have read that, with this visa, the dependent cannot work. I am right in thinking that this simply means I cannot be employed in Chile by a Chilean company but I can continue to work and earn money in Spain ?

Any advice on this would be appreciated, or if there is an easier procedure than what we are considering, please do let me know !!

Thanks in advance :) :)

dmwbmw2

Re: Worker Dependent Visa query

Post by dmwbmw2 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:51 am

I am sorry I cannot help you on this.
However, your situation does not seem a difficult one compared to many.

One comment I would make is that you cannot believe anything a Chilean consulate tells you, I have learned this the hard way.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:00 am

There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Post by 210191 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:24 am

dmwbmw2 - Yes, agreed! I'm just a bit confused as to what needs to be done really, and whether there is a way for us to move without a pareja de hecho. I've searched through threads listed here, but I can't find v. much information on dependent visas & earning income abroad. I've read many posts about the consulate giving unreliable information; it's difficult to know where to go or who to ask. Thank you for your response, it's appreciated :)

eeuunikkeiexpat - thanks for the link!

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:58 am

periodic income visa.... you can apply for it without be a dependent to your bf's visa