Passport and visa info

General topics related to Living in Chile
Alisonmaii

Passport and visa info

Post by Alisonmaii » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:31 pm

I enter Chile September 10th and will be staying for 90 days before I go to Argentina for a week. Then I return back to Chile before returning to the uk in March. I will be on a tourist visa this whole time. My passport runs out June 2020 so upon first arrival I will have 9 months left on my passport. Online I have read you need 6 months past your stay left on your visa. Does this mean on my second enter into the country I won’t be able to go as I will only have 4 months past my stay? Or will I be okay if I show them my return flight info for March?? If not my second option is to renew my passport and get it send to Chile after I arrive. Would this be okay??

at46

Re: Passport and visa info

Post by at46 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:47 pm

Yeah, on your second entry into Chile from the Argie land there's a small chance they might not let you in. But you should be able to renew your passport here at the British Embassy in Santiago during your first 90 days.

Alisonmaii

Post by Alisonmaii » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:09 pm

What about if I renew it online in England before I leave and have it send to Chile via post? Would that still be okay?? And just keep both passports to show my first entry etc

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:51 pm

Since you have a return ticket to England during that 4 month period it's unlikely they would deny entry but if you are really concerned, better to do as at46 says and renew it in Santiago. If that's not convenient and you're going to be in Buenos Aires you could also renew it there.
Chilean international postal service is a crapshoot at best.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:44 pm

lost gringo wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:51 pm
Since you have a return ticket to England during that 4 month period it's unlikely they would deny entry but if you are really concerned, better to do as at46 says and renew it in Santiago. If that's not convenient and you're going to be in Buenos Aires you could also renew it there.
Chilean international postal service is a crapshoot at best.
I have never had a problem using fed ex here in Chile.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:02 pm

I would not feel safe of any carrier regarding a passport and isn't that on of the prohibeted items like cash and similar (meaning you would have to - technically - lie on the declaration form?).

Anyways, there is no entry in Timatic stating passport validity time when entering Chile and I once entered Chile on a rotating tourist visa with less than three months validity on my passport and was stamped in without a problem or raised eyebrow (according to the rules). I renewed my passport at the US Embassy in Santiasco..
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

at46

Post by at46 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:11 pm

Alisonmaii wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:09 pm
What about if I renew it online in England before I leave and have it send to Chile via post? Would that still be okay?? And just keep both passports to show my first entry etc
Yeah, you can do it. I never had anything lost if sent by Royal Mail and it's always here in two weeks with tracking. Or you can use any courier company, like DHL or Fedex. Also, you might be able to simply go to the embassy here in Santiago and ask them to get your passport over to you from England. Diplomatic post is pretty reliable. :)

Alisonmaii

Post by Alisonmaii » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:38 am

Thank you for you replies... I guess 90 days is enough to get something sorted haha just because to renew it in a day costs £180 whereas the normal 3 week passport is 70 so I might just have it sent over!! And if I have problems go to Santiago! I’m going to Puerto Montt so it’s a little far out but if I have to go I have to go. My last question sorry is when travelling on a tourist visa do you normally get asked about onward travel? Because I haven’t yet booked my flight home I was going to do that December time ...

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:51 am

There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:08 pm

Alisonmaii wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:38 am
Thank you for you replies... I guess 90 days is enough to get something sorted haha just because to renew it in a day costs £180 whereas the normal 3 week passport is 70 so I might just have it sent over!! And if I have problems go to Santiago! I’m going to Puerto Montt so it’s a little far out but if I have to go I have to go. My last question sorry is when travelling on a tourist visa do you normally get asked about onward travel? Because I haven’t yet booked my flight home I was going to do that December time ...
In Canada they keep your passport when you renew and return it with the corner cut off if you want it with your new passport, renewing while travelling with your passport and having the new one sent to you may not work as most countries will not allow you to have two valid passports at the same time......you better check the process, getting a new one in Chile may be your only choice or the expensive short order option, also if you get one in Chile make sure you bring the required documents, don't know about the UK but I don't travel with a birth certificate and it's a requirement for a Canadian passport.......
It's all about the wine.

paladin

Post by paladin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:46 pm

For some years now, you cant renew a UK passport in a consulate. It has to be done online and you have to pay for it to be couriered back to you. They will not send it by mail. This change was made as a result of finding various consulates around the world who were accepting bribes to issue passports to those who were not eligible.

Alisonmaii

Post by Alisonmaii » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:49 pm

I decided to renew my passport before I leave just to stop any future hassle!! Thanks for your responses