Where Should I Start?

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Sr. El Puelche

Re: Where Should I Start?

Post by Sr. El Puelche » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:50 pm

Hey Fraggle, No problem------this is an interesting aspect of that time and will ask around about it.

####

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:52 pm

Welcome back El P! I will have to start reading from the beginning of this thread.

Sr. El Puelche

Post by Sr. El Puelche » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:41 am

Thank you might heart, enjoy the reading and please comment on anything as we go.

####

Sr. El Puelche

Post by Sr. El Puelche » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:43 am

Also, that summer, I made friends and started hanging out with a Chilean guy that worked as a manager at a downtown shop in La Serena. We hung out at the beach, took day trips with other friends as well as went out to eat and generally had a good time.

We were set to go out one evening and to meet up at his apartment at around 10 pm. I got there a little early and sat down in the living room. His roommate was there and getting ready to go out but not with us. I can’t remember his name but he was taking forever to get ready and I was hungry. I went to check on him as he was acting a little strange and generally harass him for taking so long. Entering his bedroom I noticed several cookie trays laid out with what looked like dried cilantro but of course it wasn’t——it was mota, pot. I stared for a moment and said to him, “Is that pot?” He smiled and said yes and said he had coke too if I wanted it.

Ahhhh, it became clear to me at that moment. When I first met him, he was a little to shiny, too well dressed and a little to slick. So it figured he was dealing drugs.

I immediately told him I was not into being friends with anyone that had anything to do with drugs. In hanging out with any number of young Chileans, this was the first time anything with drugs had come up———it just was not anything anyone talked about or was remotely involved with from my experience. He protested, and I told him not to contact me for any reason in the future.

At that time, any amount of pot was a minimum 20 year sentence. Chile and Pinochet were very serious about drugs at the time. I was never into any drugs anyway and was not going to get hauled in for being around it——absolutely not worth it.

Pinochet started getting headaches over Col. Manuel Contreras starting about 2004 I think?——Contreras and Pinochet had been friends——Contreras had been head of the DINA where it was thought he was involved in the Pratts assassination as well as the Otelier assassination as well as the overall executions of militant communists and others———I don’t know anything about it but probably true and the courts handled it and he is dead now anyway——not what I am talking about anyway. Contreras stated in public he had proof Pinochet, along with his son was running drugs and it how he came to have the 30 odd million dollars in overseas banks—Pinochet that is.

Now, I heard this from a military person and was not there so can’t say more than that as to the truth of it all——At the time, as it was explained to me, in the early 70’s Peru was the major source for cocaine, growing and manufacturing the base——the primary export point was Chile via Bolivia. Pinochet took over in 1973 and was not digging the whole gig. According to what I was told cocaine was pushed out through Chile in the north (not so now after the death of Escobar and the rise of the Arellano Felix Sinoloa cartel in Mexico but more on that later)——probably, on the thought from cocaine producers that it would not be a pinpoint concern for cocaine to come out of Chile——Pinochet spent his early military career in the north of Chile and he most likely knew and had all the intel on it———you could consider it a back country assignment but really with Peru and Bolivia and the war of the pacific——still politics rule hard for that region——the southern border with Argentina was and is a given deal——but not the north——get the pope talking and on your side and you could be on the wrong end of the stick——so the north was a critical assignment and Pinochet got it when he started out——SIDE NOTE: Pinochet was part of the comandtura for leftists sent to camps in the north when the government in the 40’s and 50’s wanted to send them away to calm down——he knew all of them and they knew him.

Its a fine line now——the US government, as well as northern south america jungle democracies were allowing informal drug levies on passage of goods to fund anti-communist militias with support including weapons etc——For south america it was the early to mid 70’s and for the US, from what we know, it was not until the early 80’s——kind of an Iran/contra affair going on but on the same continent and within the same country. Governments were allowing things to go on where officials made a little scratch and other monies were allowed to buy what they had to in order to allow personnel, weapons and support to put down the militant left.——Everybody has a budget——your own remodel, a business start up, a wedding, a round the world trip——the money has to come from somewhere and if/when everyone is having a good time, no one asks who bought the champagne.

In this time I was told the Chilean Army had the information a meeting of drug traffickers was going to take place just over the border from Peru in the north——this would have been in the mid 70’s. The Chilean Army was there and had all of them together with which they executed somewhere over a hundred in one initial swipe. From what I was told it was done with extreme prejudice. Pinochet was serious about drugs.

Back to Pinochet’s Riggs bank money———I don’t think they uncovered other monies either in Chile or outside other than the 30 odd million, For the amount of money cocaine brought in during that time, 30 million does not seem like the amount that would be remotely congruent with what cocaine was bringing in——A dirty dictator is gonna settle for just 30 million?----it does not seem likely and would/should have been more in the realm of a billion at least.

More up next time on how, I think Pinochet, made the money he had in the bank.

###