Travelling Chile and visa runs

General topics related to Living in Chile
Alisonmaii
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:36 am

Travelling Chile and visa runs

Post by Alisonmaii » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:51 pm

I am visiting Chile on a tourist 90 day visa to meet my boyfriends family this September. Am I able to pass over into Argentina for a month and then return to Chile for another 90 days? If I have proof of an exit flight. Once I return to Chile I will also have booked my flight home to the Uk for further proof. I am just unaware if there are a certain amount of times you can enter Chile on a tourist visa.

User avatar
nwdiver
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 3017
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC and Chile where ever it's Summer
Contact:

Re: Travelling Chile and visa runs

Post by nwdiver » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:57 pm

One bus into Argieland the next back works fine, no need for the month, but if you have real money, pounds, euros or dollars a month may be really cheap.....
It's all about the wine.

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1178
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm

Re: Travelling Chile and visa runs

Post by at46 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:25 am

On your return bus trip to Chile from Argentina they may or may not grant you the next 90 days. You're probably ok for the first time, but later on they might only give you 15 days once they know you're a visa runner. They'll tell you to go and get a visa extension at extranjeria which costs like a hundred bucks or something.

User avatar
nwdiver
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 3017
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC and Chile where ever it's Summer
Contact:

Re: Travelling Chile and visa runs

Post by nwdiver » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:40 pm

at46 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:25 am
On your return bus trip to Chile from Argentina they may or may not grant you the next 90 days. You're probably ok for the first time, but later on they might only give you 15 days once they know you're a visa runner. They'll tell you to go and get a visa extension at extranjeria which costs like a hundred bucks or something.
I have never heard of anyone that does not need a Visa only get a 15 tourist card, and by the way you don't get a visa on enter from the UK you get a 90 tourist card.......
It's all about the wine.

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1178
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm

Re: Travelling Chile and visa runs

Post by at46 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:49 pm

nwdiver wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:40 pm
at46 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:25 am
On your return bus trip to Chile from Argentina they may or may not grant you the next 90 days. You're probably ok for the first time, but later on they might only give you 15 days once they know you're a visa runner. They'll tell you to go and get a visa extension at extranjeria which costs like a hundred bucks or something.
I have never heard of anyone that does not need a Visa only get a 15 tourist card, and by the way you don't get a visa on enter from the UK you get a 90 tourist card.......
Things are a-changing... It's started happening now.

Alisonmaii
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:36 am

Re: Travelling Chile and visa runs

Post by Alisonmaii » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:50 pm

Thank you!! So on arrival in Santiago do you think they will ask for proof of onward travel? Do you think I need to book a flight to Argentina before I arrive or do you think I will be fine? On my return to Chile I will have a flight booked back to the Uk so I’m hoping that should be good enough proof to them that I will be leaving. It is solely to meet my partners family and travel around South America i mean people travel there all the time so surely I should be okay I’m just a stress head haha

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1178
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm

Re: Travelling Chile and visa runs

Post by at46 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:57 pm

Alisonmaii wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:50 pm
Thank you!! So on arrival in Santiago do you think they will ask for proof of onward travel? Do you think I need to book a flight to Argentina before I arrive or do you think I will be fine? On my return to Chile I will have a flight booked back to the Uk so I’m hoping that should be good enough proof to them that I will be leaving. It is solely to meet my partners family and travel around South America i mean people travel there all the time so surely I should be okay I’m just a stress head haha
I think you'll be just fine and don't need an onward flight booking to Argentina.

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 7839
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Travelling Chile and visa runs

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:19 pm

Remember, it is the airline at check-in that may hassle you over an onward or return ticket NOT Chile Immigration. The Timatic entry clearly says that lacking an onward or return ticket can be grounds to deny you entry upon which an asshole check-in agent may decide to refuse issuing you a boarding pass.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 7839
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Travelling Chile and visa runs

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:22 pm

at46 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:49 pm
nwdiver wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:40 pm
at46 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:25 am
On your return bus trip to Chile from Argentina they may or may not grant you the next 90 days. You're probably ok for the first time, but later on they might only give you 15 days once they know you're a visa runner. They'll tell you to go and get a visa extension at extranjeria which costs like a hundred bucks or something.
I have never heard of anyone that does not need a Visa only get a 15 tourist card, and by the way you don't get a visa on enter from the UK you get a 90 tourist card.......
Things are a-changing... It's started happening now.
Any anecdotal information you can share with details of passport country and how many times they have done visa runs previously?
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1178
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm

Re: Travelling Chile and visa runs

Post by at46 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:07 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:22 pm
at46 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:49 pm
nwdiver wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:40 pm
at46 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:25 am
On your return bus trip to Chile from Argentina they may or may not grant you the next 90 days. You're probably ok for the first time, but later on they might only give you 15 days once they know you're a visa runner. They'll tell you to go and get a visa extension at extranjeria which costs like a hundred bucks or something.
I have never heard of anyone that does not need a Visa only get a 15 tourist card, and by the way you don't get a visa on enter from the UK you get a 90 tourist card.......
Things are a-changing... It's started happening now.
Any anecdotal information you can share with details of passport country and how many times they have done visa runs previously?
Happened yesterday at Los Libertadores - a bunch of different countries, apparently, all serial visa runners, Spanish, Russian, etc. The law does say 90 days or a shorter term at the descretion of the officer so they were given 15 days and told to go talk to the extranjeria.

Alisonmaii
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:36 am

Re: Travelling Chile and visa runs

Post by Alisonmaii » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:32 pm

Ah okay so my flight when I check in getting my boarding pass ... ah I’ve just been told so many things I’m just worried I will get to Santiago and then if I don’t have a return flight I was told by the woman at the Chilean embassy Londres that I may be turned away just due to the amount of illegal people running to Chile at the moment!!

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 7839
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Travelling Chile and visa runs

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:34 pm

If you really need piece of mind, price out and buy the cheapest OW Jetsmart or Sky flight to Argentina and be calm.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Post Reply