Visas

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Alisonmaii

Visas

Post by Alisonmaii » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:11 pm

I have two questions If anyone knows any answers I’d be so grateful. So I’m flying to Chile in September my boyfriend is from Chile I am from the UK. I know I’m able to enter the country on a 90 day visa which is fine but am I able to change my visa once in the country if I am able to find sponsored employment?

If we were to get married am I able to stay in the country and work??

Anyone who knows any info please let me know!!!

chesswolf

Re: Visas

Post by chesswolf » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:03 pm

I know they recently (within the last year or so) changed the law so that you can no longer apply for your first resident visa from in Chile. You can enter on a tourist visa but you will have to apply for residency from a Chilean consulate or embassy in the UK. They might make an exception for marriage but I don't know.

mem

Post by mem » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:51 pm

chesswolf wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:03 pm
I know they recently (within the last year or so) changed the law so that you can no longer apply for your first resident visa from in Chile. You can enter on a tourist visa but you will have to apply for residency from a Chilean consulate or embassy in the UK. They might make an exception for marriage but I don't know.
I dont think that passed into law yet

alextrombone

Post by alextrombone » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:59 pm

The extranjeria website should have all the info you need

Hamfunk

Post by Hamfunk » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:26 pm

I'm in a similar situation. I'm currently in Chile, I thought it would be easy to apply for a "Visa Temporaria" but it seems without a job offer this isnt really possible.

The extranjeria website is fairly confusing. For examples there is no instruction on how to apply for the "Visa de Oportunidades" (Which looks like it could be a good option for me).

The tramites page looks pretty straightforward but it seems you can only apply via this route before entering Chile.

I would just like to find work legally, surely it shouldnt be this complicated.

Vino

Post by Vino » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:22 pm

Hi,
I am in the process of applying professional visa, I have few questions regarding that, hope you can help me.
1.Has anyone done this before?
2. Do i have to translate my degree certificate from English to spanish?

thanks.

chesswolf

Post by chesswolf » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:51 am

Vino wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:22 pm
Hi,
I am in the process of applying professional visa, I have few questions regarding that, hope you can help me.
1.Has anyone done this before?
2. Do i have to translate my degree certificate from English to spanish?

thanks.
1. I haven't but I'm sure others have
2. Yes, but no. You need it translated but can't translate it yourself. You'll have to get it translated by the right department down here, probably Ministerio de Educación (MinEduc) but possibly Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores, depending on the document. You might also need your transcripts notarized, apostilled (you'll need that for your certificate too) and translated at MinEduc.

Vino

Post by Vino » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:01 am

Hi, Thanks for replying.
1. In order to apply we should have work offer letter, Does this offer must be related to the field of our studies or any job offer is acceptable?

chesswolf

Post by chesswolf » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:28 am

Vino wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:01 am
Hi, Thanks for replying.
1. In order to apply we should have work offer letter, Does this offer must be related to the field of our studies or any job offer is acceptable?
My thoughts (I'm no expert) are that a work visa just needs a work contract. It shouldn't need a degree or other certificate. A professional visa would need a degree and possibly an offer in that field. I'm sure this information is available on the extranjería website. You'll have to do your homework.