lost certificado de permanencia definitiva

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

lost gringo

lost certificado de permanencia definitiva

Post by lost gringo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:09 pm

My carnet expires this year and in the process of looking for the necessary documents to renew it, I couldn't find my original certificado de permanencia definitiva. Anticipating that it would take awhile to replace, I filled in an application for replacement 6 months ago. Apparently you can only do this tramite online so I filled out the application and along with the required supporting docs, mailed it all to the address provided.
Correo de Chile tracking confirmed it was delivered last March.

In June I hadn't received any kind of reply so I went to an Extranjeria office to try and see if they could give me status information. All they could tell me was that my application had been received and to be patient. There is a page on the Extranjeria website allowing you to access progress of your application but it requires a password to view.

As of today I still have not received it nor any communication from Extranjeria. My carnet expires this coming October so I'm getting a little nervous at the lack of response.
Anyone have any experience replacing a certificado de permanencia definitiva or any suggestions on how to proceed?
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

dmwbmw2

Re: lost certificado de permanencia definitiva

Post by dmwbmw2 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:55 pm

My wife lost hers and we applied and five months after they sent a letter saying there was something missing and we had to reapply and start all over again.

It was a major nightmare.

Sorry, I'm sure it will work out fine for you.

Even though, in her case it would have been easier for her to just leave the country by riding a donkey over the Andes and just never coming back.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:16 pm

dmwbmw2 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:55 pm
My wife lost hers and we applied and five months after they sent a letter saying there was something missing and we had to reapply and start all over again.

It was a major nightmare.

Sorry, I'm sure it will work out fine for you.

Even though, in her case it would have been easier for her to just leave the country by riding a donkey over the Andes and just never coming back.
Thanks for the reply. How long after you re-applied did your wife receive it?
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:28 pm

Does "permanencia definitiva" expire? Or is it just your "Cédula de Identidad" that's expiring? I'm asking, because my ID expires later this year. And I thought it was just my ID that expired, and not my permanent residency. Thanks.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:45 pm

I think it was about 90 days.....
But meanwhile they wouldnt let her leave because she didnt have a carnet and she couldnt get a paper saying it was in tramite becasue she didnt have the documents to even get it submitted and started.
My lawyer said we could fight this but as it turned out she got it sorted before she really had to leave for a while.

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:47 pm

It is just your carnet Cedula de Identidad expiring.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:48 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:28 pm
Does "permanencia definitiva" expire? Or is it just your "Cédula de Identidad" that's expiring? I'm asking, because my ID expires later this year. And I thought it was just my ID that expired, and not my permanent residency. Thanks.
I don't believe permanencia definitiva expires but you need the certificate to renew a cedula.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:27 pm

dmwbmw2 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:47 pm
It is just your carnet Cedula de Identidad expiring.
lost gringo wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:48 pm
I don't believe permanencia definitiva expires but you need the certificate to renew a cedula.
Thanks. I need to get started on this, before I forget again.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:24 pm

lost gringo wrote:
Yes, that's correct. I recently did this by going to the PDI a month before the old one expired. The appointment system wasn't necessary once I was able to explain what I needed. The guy I talked to just went away with my residency certificate and the old Cédula and came back in 10 minutes with a Certificado de Vigencia.
Took that, plus photocopies of it and the Residence Cert. to the Registro Civil. Nowadays they notify by email once the new one is ready, the whole process took around 3 weeks.

Without a valid carnet, life can be very difficult here, especially when it comes to official and banking transactions, and they do check the dates. People were already reminding me some months ago that renewal time was coming up soon.
And that PR certificate is as important as a Passport and needs to be guarded carefully.
Après moi, le déluge

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:16 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:24 pm
Without a valid carnet, life can be very difficult here, especially when it comes to official and banking transactions, and they do check the dates. People were already reminding me some months ago that renewal time was coming up soon.
And that PR certificate is as important as a Passport and needs to be guarded carefully.
The asshole PDI outgoing immigration official did not say a word when I left Chile via SCL (I had forgotten to check expiration dates) but gave me a hard time when I reentered Chile with my expired carnet even claiming my photocopy of my residence certificate was insufficient as it did not show both sides. She let me pass though after exercising her power and authority, stuff I'm used to being from the States dealing with TSA and CBP.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:39 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:24 pm
lost gringo wrote:
Yes, that's correct. I recently did this by going to the PDI a month before the old one expired. The appointment system wasn't necessary once I was able to explain what I needed. The guy I talked to just went away with my residency certificate and the old Cédula and came back in 10 minutes with a Certificado de Vigencia.
Took that, plus photocopies of it and the Residence Cert. to the Registro Civil. Nowadays they notify by email once the new one is ready, the whole process took around 3 weeks.

That doesn't sound too difficult. Now if I could just find my PR certificate... I'm sure I put it somewhere I wouldn't lose it.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:11 am

When I got my first cedula at the Registro Civil, the nice lady there told me "don't ever lose your certificado de permanencia definitiva". I should have listened to her advice.
Actually I didn't really lose it. I know where it is. I had forgotten that I put in a "secret" compartment in my camioneta. Sold the truck and didn't realize until earlier this year that's where it was. Que boludo soy.