Counterfeit 20k notes

General topics related to Living in Chile
mem

Counterfeit 20k notes

Post by mem » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:25 pm

Anyone heard about recent fake 20K notes? Apparently there is a fake series number that starts with CF on the serial number.
All of the 20k's I use come out of ATM's, but apparently i have at least 1 fake note.

I am trying to find a news article or something that talks about the details, but so far coming up empty.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Counterfeit 20k notes

Post by admin » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:59 pm

had some fake 10,000 notes about 5 years ago out of a machine.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:32 pm

So they don't check them before they put them in the ATM's. I was wondering about that yesterday, when I was making a deposit at ServiEstado, and the woman had to double-check one of the 10k bills that I just got out of an ATM.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:59 pm

with the receipt from the ATM, and the bills, it is the bank that owns the ATM that is responsible for repaying you. they are the ones that tried to pass them off.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

mem

Post by mem » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:34 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:59 pm
with the receipt from the ATM, and the bills, it is the bank that owns the ATM that is responsible for repaying you. they are the ones that tried to pass them off.
I just wonder how they know. If I was a counterfeiter i could do a legit atm withdrawal. Then walk into the bank with the reciept and present fake bill and act surprised and say these are the bills I got from the atm

At this point I'm trying to figure out which are the counterfeit Bill's but cant find any details. Just that the place that told me my 20k note was fake pointed at the serial number starting with CF...

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:09 pm

Besides the guide on the watermarks, thread and other visual cues on the Chile central bank site, bills will have a raised texture which you can feel between thumb and forefinger, also if you rub a real bill against another piece of paper, the ink will transfer (thank my wife who once worked in restaurant establishments).

I have always been skeptical of claims of fake bills from a Chile ATM and believe it was probably a sleight-of-hand switch by the "helpful" cashier/taxi driver etc. that identified one's fake bills. Only because in my 20 years here, I have never come across or been accused of passing a fake bill obtained via ATM.

As a safeguaed, another reason I like to stick to 10 mil bills rather than a stack of 20s from ATMs or other.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:33 pm

A cheapo UV bill checker cost me around $3.000 at a local electronics store. Works on USD as well. It caught a very good older $100 dollar fake that had passed all the visual and tactile checks. Of course once I knew for sure that it was a fake, I discovered other errors that would normally go undetected.
232320.jpg
Après moi, le déluge