Eucalyptus Board foot cost?

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
CachiGringo

Eucalyptus Board foot cost?

Post by CachiGringo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:26 am

Property outside Puerto varas has a couple hectares of 20ish yr old eucalyptus trees, pretty well spaced that are starting to get to be a decent size. Outside of talking with a mill in the area, does anyone have any info on quotes for linear foot or volume of tree? I know it's not great outdoor building material, but there's tons of it around so there's gotta be a market somewhere. We're eventually going to clear those areas and try to replant native species.

Putenio

Re: Eucalyptus Board foot cost?

Post by Putenio » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:32 am

I have 10H of Eucalytpus south of PV, in that 20 year range (from I "I can almost put my arms around it" to we'd need 3 people to reach around its diameter size) that we use for renewable firewood, on a yearly rotating basis (cut, stacked, dried in 2018 is burned a year later in 2019, for example). They don't have much value for chips, not that I'd sell for that use.

It fractures and (IMHO) is horrible for construction. I cut (chainsaw) a 5 inch by 2.75 feet by 10 feet board that I stored in a relatively humid, but dry, location and let it slowly dry out for 2 years to limit expansion cracks (made a bar top) and even with all the care in the world, it still had cracks to fill. When it rapidly dries, it twists and cracks - in my experience.

They are also quite thirsty - so like weeds, we have to keep cutting them back but their water demands impact the surrounding areas. It's almost impossible to get rid of their roots.

FWIW native tress take a long time to grow - so we haven't cut any for around 15 years and it is just now showing some signs of renewal and recovery. The Eucalytpus get cut all summer long.
Enjoying the beautiful southern peninsula of Puerto Montt in the heart of it all.
Tenio Natural Reserve: http://www.visitsouthernchile.blogspot.com

CachiGringo

Post by CachiGringo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:43 pm

Got any idea on what they're worth per volume of foot? Its far to much wood to use as firewood at el fundo, especially since the apple/pearwood lasts most of the winter

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:23 pm

here is the last discussion on the forum for what it is worth:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13876
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

CachiGringo

Post by CachiGringo » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:01 pm

Thanks, that's pretty useful info atleast for ballpark prices. Where did you find that Indian paper info?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:18 pm

dont recall. think it was off alibaba or something.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.