Diesel spill off coast of southern chile

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

mem

Diesel spill off coast of southern chile

Post by mem » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:00 am

40,000 liters of diesel. I guess that's better than crude oil and the amount is certainly alot less than most historical oil spills. It's basically a little less than 40 of my underground diesel storage tanks

Still sad that those pristine waters have to deal with this...looks like it's off coast of Magellan

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/07/29/amer ... index.html

El Ping

Re: Diesel spill off coast of southern chile

Post by El Ping » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:53 am

Interesting place...about 150km south of Puerto Eden as the crow flies.....
Puerto Eden is the most remote settlement in South America.... but Isla Guarello is an all singing all dancing mine and port.... loading ships up to maybe 30,000 dwt, they have a cupla tugs, an airstrip... workers are FIFO's like up north.

A bit like the coal mine and port in Isla Riesco on Seno Otway about Lat 52º 52'S , Long 71º 37' W.....behind Punta Arenas....see google earth.... so much for unspoilt wilderness...

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:21 am

El Ping wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:53 am
Interesting place...about 150km south of Puerto Eden as the crow flies.....
Puerto Eden is the most remote settlement in South America.... but Isla Guarello is an all singing all dancing mine and port.... loading ships up to maybe 30,000 dwt, they have a cupla tugs, an airstrip... workers are FIFO's like up north.

A bit like the coal mine and port in Isla Riesco on Seno Otway about Lat 52º 52'S , Long 71º 37' W.....behind Punta Arenas....see google earth.... so much for unspoilt wilderness...
Yeah funny you should mention that , I just discovered that mine on Isla riesco a couple of weeks ago on Google earth. 99% unspoilt wilderness...? Maybe 98 now after the spill ? Oh and all the crap such as, foam bouys, plastic, nets, etc etc from the salmon industry, probably getting down to about 85 percent unspoilt wilderness?
I can't decide for you. You'll have to make up your own mind.

mem

Post by mem » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:04 am

Build the wall...partition the spoiled from the unspoilt

; )