cheapest easiest way to get a cell phone

General topics related to Living in Chile
thisisreallycomplicated

cheapest easiest way to get a cell phone

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:29 am

What's the cheapest and easiest way to get a cell phone here? I don't like cell phones, so I just use skype. But I might need to get one for banking. I probably won't use it for anything else, so I'm just looking for the cheapest, most basic thing I can find. I currently have Claro for internet, if that makes a difference. Thanks.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

tiagoabner

Re: cheapest easiest way to get a cell phone

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:24 am

Look for "bolsa prepago" at each company's website to see how much a cheap internet + data plan is going for right now. Their prices change often, so you'll need to check at the date you want to get it. FYI, mine from Entel is $8.000 with 5 gb internet and unlimited calls. I've no idea what a calls only plan goes for, but it won't be over that.

You may also want to research for coverage, as it varies wildly, even inside Santiago.

Good luck
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:30 am

Go to Lider and buy a low end current year Huawei running Android Go with a prepaid SIM. You can also use it for WhatsApp as 90% of Chile is on it. You don't have to charge it every month if all you are going to use it for is to receive your 3rd key call and use WhatsApp. Before I travel outside my town, I charge it with a couple of mil pesos mainly for Internet access - GPS, WhatsApp - as I make very few calls.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:09 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:24 am
Look for "bolsa prepago" at each company's website to see how much a cheap internet + data plan is going for right now. Their prices change often, so you'll need to check at the date you want to get it. FYI, mine from Entel is $8.000 with 5 gb internet and unlimited calls. I've no idea what a calls only plan goes for, but it won't be over that.

You may also want to research for coverage, as it varies wildly, even inside Santiago.

Good luck
I think I've seen "bolsa prepago" on Claro's website, so I'll look at their's first. But I'm hoping to find something I don't need to pay for every month. Right now I just need something that works at my house, so hopefully coverage won't be a problem.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:14 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:30 am
Go to Lider and buy a low end current year Huawei running Android Go with a prepaid SIM. You can also use it for WhatsApp as 90% of Chile is on it. You don't have to charge it every month if all you are going to use it for is to receive your 3rd key call and use WhatsApp. Before I travel outside my town, I charge it with a couple of mil pesos mainly for Internet access - GPS, WhatsApp - as I make very few calls.
I can't see myself using WhatsApp, since I stay away from facebook. But something running android might be useful for work. And chances are, I'd find other uses for it if I decide to get one.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:22 am

Do you need to sign up for something after you buy a cell phone or other mobile device? And can you set it to English, or is it going to be stuck in Spanish?

snobrd4life

Post by snobrd4life » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:57 am

The cell phone can be set to English. You could even install Skype on it to use as a "cordless" landline within your house. But that would mean you would have to turn the wifi on your router back on :P
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:43 pm

You can buy a "liberated" cheap phone in pcfactory. They come with a prepay SIM. My iPhone 4 finally died last week, so bought a new one yesterday. It doesn't have all the local carrier rubbish, just the Google bloatware. First thing it wanted to do was update and it downloaded a Gigs worth of that, so switching the wifi on was a good idea....haven't even put the sim in yet, but did set it up as a SIP extension on my pbx.
Après moi, le déluge

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:10 pm

snobrd4life wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:57 am
The cell phone can be set to English. You could even install Skype on it to use as a "cordless" landline within your house. But that would mean you would have to turn the wifi on your router back on :P
Thanks, Spanish would be a real pain. And I think I'll keep my wifi turned off, unless I really need it. I like wired connections better, except I keep stepping on the wire.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:20 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:43 pm
You can buy a "liberated" cheap phone in pcfactory. They come with a prepay SIM. My iPhone 4 finally died last week, so bought a new one yesterday. It doesn't have all the local carrier rubbish, just the Google bloatware. First thing it wanted to do was update and it downloaded a Gigs worth of that, so switching the wifi on was a good idea....haven't even put the sim in yet, but did set it up as a SIP extension on my pbx.
That looks like a good option too, thanks. And I should be out that way soon, so it might be easier than Lider. Do those prepaid SIMs have a time limit, or are they good "forever" until you use up your minutes?

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:34 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:20 pm
Do those prepaid SIMs have a time limit, or are they good "forever" until you use up your minutes?
All prepaid cards are "use it or lose it" unfortunately. I just stick the odd $1.000 on mine when I remember.
Après moi, le déluge

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:02 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:34 pm
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:20 pm
Do those prepaid SIMs have a time limit, or are they good "forever" until you use up your minutes?
All prepaid cards are "use it or lose it" unfortunately. I just stick the odd $1.000 on mine when I remember.
Thanks. I need to find one that doesn't expire quickly. I don't mind paying a little more for the minutes, since I won't use it much.

So, if get one of those liberated phones, I think that means I can switch from one prepaid service to another? So I can just pick one now that looks ok, and go from there?