Let me introduce myself and my travel plans in South America

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

ExplorerSouls

Let me introduce myself and my travel plans in South America

Post by ExplorerSouls » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:20 am

Hello fellow Chilean friends, :D :alien:

Let me introduce myself.
Me (31) & my girlfriend (33), both from Switzerland, travelling the world. We started our travels in January 2019 from Switzerland into the eastern region of Asia.
Now we make plans for our upcoming adventure in South America.
We would like to buy a Van/Camper around Santiago de Chile. Ready to overland the Americas.
We are around South America in September. Can someone recommend any trustworthy Garage/ Car dealer/ Mechanics where i can buy an overlanding vehicle as a foreigner? Someone who knows the process with the RUT and all that Chilean paperwork?

My spanish is a bit limited at the moment but were planning to do a few courses/ lectures when we are in South America!

We have a small Blog in German and our Facebook page where you can join our travels.

http://facebook.c0m/ExplorerSouls
http://www.ExplorerSouls.c0m

Pic for attention ;-)
VW.jpg
VW.jpg (40.02 KiB) Viewed 273 times

Spudzilla

Re: Let me introduce myself and my travel plans in South America

Post by Spudzilla » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:01 pm

There are many posts regarding buying vehicles in this blog, you just have to keep trying different search phrases.
I would caution you that a number of things have changed in the last few years, which make the process more difficult. Five years ago, it was quite easy to obtain a RUT. Now however you need to have a chileno to essentially cosign for you. There are people who will do that for a fee. Also another significant impediment for tourists buying vehicles, is that only residents of Chile can bring a chilean registered vehicle across the border. You may find yourself stuck in Chile. It may be easier to buy a vehicle from another overlander, registered in another country, which has valid papers. I have no personal experience with that process however. For more info on border crossing restrictions look here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14426#p171991.

ExplorerSouls

Post by ExplorerSouls » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:23 pm

Spudzilla wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:01 pm
There are many posts regarding buying vehicles in this blog, you just have to keep trying different search phrases.
I would caution you that a number of things have changed in the last few years, which make the process more difficult. Five years ago, it was quite easy to obtain a RUT. Now however you need to have a chileno to essentially cosign for you. There are people who will do that for a fee. Also another significant impediment for tourists buying vehicles, is that only residents of Chile can bring a chilean registered vehicle across the border. You may find yourself stuck in Chile. It may be easier to buy a vehicle from another overlander, registered in another country, which has valid papers. I have no personal experience with that process however. For more info on border crossing restrictions look here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14426#p171991

Thank you very much Spudzilla, i will investigate and check this if theres a solution.

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:31 pm

https://www.suzisantiago.com/single-pos ... r-In-Chile

This agency specializes in helping people get a RUT and find a car.

I am not recommending them, just saying they are out there.

I have heard people who say they got great service and others who say they could have saved the money and done it themselves.

I have heard they know a workaround to get out without Chilean residency.

ExplorerSouls

Post by ExplorerSouls » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:19 am

dmwbmw2 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:31 pm
https://www.suzisantiago.c0m/single-pos ... r-In-Chile

This agency specializes in helping people get a RUT and find a car.

I am not recommending them, just saying they are out there.

I have heard people who say they got great service and others who say they could have saved the money and done it themselves.

I have heard they know a workaround to get out without Chilean residency.

Thank you dmwbmw2, i already checked their website and some google reviews.
There are a few good ones and a few bad reviews ive seen. I will contact them to ask a few basic questions.

Let me know if you hear something more about this process :-)

Thank you!

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:42 am

The van you have in your picture runs up to 100k USD in good condition........lots of Brazilian vw vans from the last days of production around SA, I think 2013 or 14 was the last year of production......
It's all about the wine.

ExplorerSouls

Post by ExplorerSouls » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:01 am

nwdiver wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:42 am
The van you have in your picture runs up to 100k USD in good condition........lots of Brazilian vw vans from the last days of production around SA, I think 2013 or 14 was the last year of production......
Yes i know :-) The pictures is just for attention. I dont need such a fancy Camper :-)