Problem with ATM Card

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

toasty

Problem with ATM Card

Post by toasty » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:56 pm

Has anyone lately had problems withdrawing cash from the ATM? I usually withdraw from Banco de Estado because of the $300.000 limit vs $200.000 in other bank ATM's and had no problems until about a month ago using my Wells Fargo ATM card. When I try to withdraw the ATM freezes up and then eventually times out asking you for more time. I tried other banks and I get the blue screen of death until it times out. The only one that works is Banco de Chile, but their limit is $200.000 and their fees are higher.

mem

Re: Problem with ATM Card

Post by mem » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:05 pm

Try different banco estado atms. The limit with BE is actually 800k a day. You are probably only getting 300k because of a US side limit on your card. get that upped.

Some BE atm's do what you describe (annulado?) depending on your bank/card. It could be the one you had been using was replaced with a type that doesnt work with your bank/card.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:23 pm

BTW, what network - Plus or Cirrus - is your card associated with?

Another data point: in my locale, the limit was reduced to 400000 pesos and this is now true for the ones inside Lider and the local BE branch (or maybe it has something to do with me only choosing to use the 10000 peso ATM). Again, need more data points.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

chesswolf

Post by chesswolf » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:09 pm

The BE limit is 800k (as far as I know) but only because the machine can only spit out 40 bills at a time. That's why you think the limit is now 400k when the machine only spits out 10k bills. I always withdraw the max (generally 600-640k because my US limit is 1k USD). If the ATM tells me the amount was invalid or denied, it's because they don't have enough 20k bills or maybe the only have 10k bills. If the ATM takes forever and eventually just goes back to the home screen, it's because my bank in the US declined it, I think. I haven't had it happen lately in my home city but it when I took a road trip and tried an ATM 500 kilometers away, none of the AMTs would work so I assumed my US bank thought it could be fraudulent and declined it.

mem

Post by mem » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:15 pm

chesswolf wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:09 pm
The BE limit is 800k (as far as I know) but only because the machine can only spit out 40 bills at a time. That's why you think the limit is now 400k when the machine only spits out 10k bills. I always withdraw the max (generally 600-640k because my US limit is 1k USD). If the ATM tells me the amount was invalid or denied, it's because they don't have enough 20k bills or maybe the only have 10k bills. If the ATM takes forever and eventually just goes back to the home screen, it's because my bank in the US declined it, I think. I haven't had it happen lately in my home city but it when I took a road trip and tried an ATM 500 kilometers away, none of the AMTs would work so I assumed my US bank thought it could be fraudulent and declined it.
Ah...a 40 bill limit to physically fit through the slot. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks! Makes perfect sense.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:54 pm

Thanks chess. Damn, I hate having to break those 20s.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:10 pm

Strictly speaking, you can withdraw up to $90.000 without ATM fees by requesting a "vuelto" when buying at Líder and Ekono (and probably other markets, but I haven't tested). Not an option when you're in a hurry, but withdrawing $90.000 at a time without fees is a good way to go if Banco Estado doesn't recognize your card - assuming the supermarket machines recognize it as a debit card.

Certainly a hassle, but it's better than nothing.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:31 pm

I think a 40 bill limit may make sense, either as a rule or just that the machine struggles with more than 40.

When I ordered more than 400,000 (I haven't done this for a few years) the machine whirred and spluttered and sometimes the bills eventually came out (all in 10s) but later, or it was rejected.

The sense I got was that it was trying to give me more than 40 bills, but couldn't seem to do it.

But not completely sure.

toasty

Post by toasty » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:00 pm

I've tried various BE ATM's around town and they all do the same. It does not show up as declined from my US bank, plus I can withdraw from any ATM that is Banco de Chile, but not from any other bank. My card is a VISA debit card with the plus logo on the back. I'll give it I try tomorrow to see what happens.

mem

Post by mem » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:10 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:10 pm
Strictly speaking, you can withdraw up to $90.000 without ATM fees by requesting a "vuelto" when buying at Líder and Ekono (and probably other markets, but I haven't tested). Not an option when you're in a hurry, but withdrawing $90.000 at a time without fees is a good way to go if Banco Estado doesn't recognize your card - assuming the supermarket machines recognize it as a debit card.

Certainly a hassle, but it's better than nothing.
With the cashback...is it a US debit card you are using? Dont you get hit with an international transaction fee that is around 3% or something?

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:24 am

No, it's with a German card and it doesn't charge me any surcharges

toasty

Post by toasty » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:27 am

Tried it last week, now working perfectly fine. Guess it was a glitch. Thanks for the responses.