growing fruits and vegetables for sale, in a residential neighborhood

General topics related to Living in Chile
thisisreallycomplicated

growing fruits and vegetables for sale, in a residential neighborhood

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:11 am

I'm looking for a house to rent, that has space to grow some fruits and vegetables. And right now they would just be for personal use. But someday I might want to grow some extra, and try selling them. Does anyone know if that's legal to do here, if you're in a residential neighborhood? And your yard isn't zoned for agricultural use? I wouldn't necessarily be setting up a store at my house, if that makes a difference. But I'm also wondering what would be needed to do that. Thanks.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

Donnybrook

Re: growing fruits and vegetables for sale, in a residential neighborhood

Post by Donnybrook » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:38 pm

A lot of people do it in Santiago, even prepared meals, which they advertize on FB pages. The ones who do fresh fruit/veg prepare boxes with what is available for the week and sell like that rather than lettuce by lettuce. Some have been doing it for a long time so it must be worth their while but no idea if it is legal. Probably not. Certainly I wouldn't buy a prepared meal from someone who doesn't have the proper checks but I might by fresh produce. I used to buy vegetables from my Doctor, who had a parcela in the 5th region. All of the people who do this take orders a few days ahead and deliver. I don't think people will go to collect.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:25 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:38 pm
A lot of people do it in Santiago, even prepared meals, which they advertize on FB pages. The ones who do fresh fruit/veg prepare boxes with what is available for the week and sell like that rather than lettuce by lettuce. Some have been doing it for a long time so it must be worth their while but no idea if it is legal. Probably not. Certainly I wouldn't buy a prepared meal from someone who doesn't have the proper checks but I might by fresh produce. I used to buy vegetables from my Doctor, who had a parcela in the 5th region. All of the people who do this take orders a few days ahead and deliver. I don't think people will go to collect.
Thanks, I'm starting to think it would be ok. I know there's a difference legally, between selling processed and unprocessed vegetables, at least back in the US. And I'm mainly thinking fresh, unprocessed. Some of the houses I've looked at were advertised as both residential and commercial, with a higher rent for commercial. So I think there could be a problem with that somehow, especially if I tried to open up a small store. But I don't know if it would affect my ability to grow a significant amount of stuff.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:09 am

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:25 pm

Some of the houses I've looked at were advertised as both residential and commercial, with a higher rent for commercial. So I think there could be a problem with that somehow, especially if I tried to open up a small store. But I don't know if it would affect my ability to grow a significant amount of stuff.
COMERCIO AMBULANTE.jpg
https://www.24horas.cl/regiones/coquimb ... es-3364593

Yes, there would be problems. You cannot open up any sort of a business without all sorts of permissions. Of course some people do, but sooner or later the Inspectors, (Municipal, Taxes, Health Service) will come round......
That's why there are so many "informal" street sellers. You may have noticed that they are all very mobile. That's so they can quickly head off when Police or Inspectors are spotted in the area. Street selling has to be authorized by the local Municipalidad, its not a free-for-all, although it can look that way due to the vast numbers of "pirates".

Without a license, Inspectors can issue fines and confiscate your goods, and you may also find yourself going head to head with an angry Bolivian because you are poaching on "their" territory. There are ferias, but you will have to pay the organizers to set up a puesto. You would also be exposed to the "rougher" side of society, which, for a gringo would be a painful learning experience.

Incidentally, a commercially-rated property pays more Contribuciones, its registered with the tax people as such and the rental payments include IVA which would be accredited with a Commercial Invoice, a Factura.
Après moi, le déluge

at46

Post by at46 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:08 pm

I've seen people who are just starting out in food processing business rent a commercial kitchen for a few hours or a day to be able to use that kitchen's resolucion sanitaria. Just an idea...

at46

Post by at46 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:10 pm

Another option might be to register as an artisanal food manufacturer in your rental property, upon agreement with your landlord, obviously, and upon recieving the municipal permission, which takes about 3-4 months, depending on where you are.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:27 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:09 am
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:25 pm

Some of the houses I've looked at were advertised as both residential and commercial, with a higher rent for commercial. So I think there could be a problem with that somehow, especially if I tried to open up a small store. But I don't know if it would affect my ability to grow a significant amount of stuff.
COMERCIO AMBULANTE.jpg
https://www.24horas.cl/regiones/coquimb ... es-3364593

Yes, there would be problems. You cannot open up any sort of a business without all sorts of permissions. Of course some people do, but sooner or later the Inspectors, (Municipal, Taxes, Health Service) will come round......
That's why there are so many "informal" street sellers. You may have noticed that they are all very mobile. That's so they can quickly head off when Police or Inspectors are spotted in the area. Street selling has to be authorized by the local Municipalidad, its not a free-for-all, although it can look that way due to the vast numbers of "pirates".

Without a license, Inspectors can issue fines and confiscate your goods, and you may also find yourself going head to head with an angry Bolivian because you are poaching on "their" territory. There are ferias, but you will have to pay the organizers to set up a puesto. You would also be exposed to the "rougher" side of society, which, for a gringo would be a painful learning experience.

Incidentally, a commercially-rated property pays more Contribuciones, its registered with the tax people as such and the rental payments include IVA which would be accredited with a Commercial Invoice, a Factura.
Thanks, that explains a lot. So setting up a store at my house would require some extra legal work, and more taxes. But so far, I haven't seen anything that would prevent me from growing stuff, as long as it doesn't bother my neighbors or violate my lease. I think I need to look into local zoning laws, to see if there are any restrictions for gardening. I was reading that some zoning laws are changing in the US to allow more people to grow food in residentially zoned areas, so I'm thinking it could be ok here. But maybe there's a legal difference between growing stuff for personal use, and growing stuff for sale?

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:45 am

at46 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:08 pm
I've seen people who are just starting out in food processing business rent a commercial kitchen for a few hours or a day to be able to use that kitchen's resolucion sanitaria. Just an idea...
at46 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:10 pm
Another option might be to register as an artisanal food manufacturer in your rental property, upon agreement with your landlord, obviously, and upon recieving the municipal permission, which takes about 3-4 months, depending on where you are.
I'm mainly thinking fresh unprocessed right now. But it could easily evolve into some processing, so renting space in a commercial kitchen sounds like a good idea. Or someplace similar for drying. I'm not sure if drying would be done by a commercial kitchen, or some other type of business.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:36 am

Any sort of commercial growing would need at least a couple of Hectares of land, you would be better off with a Parcela.
No way you could do this in town unless its strictly for personal consumption. There are some semi-urban Garden Centres, usually located on the fringes of towns. Urban land is too expensive for that type of activity.

Also, there are quite a few boutique-type enterprises in the Elqui valley , like this one.
Mientras que los empresarios y emprendedores que estén interesados en conocer la oferta de servicios y asesorías técnicas sin costo del Centro de Negocios La Serena de Sercotec, pueden acercarse a sus oficinas ubicadas en Las Rojas Poniente 1664, en La Serena
Après moi, le déluge

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:38 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:36 am
Any sort of commercial growing would need at least a couple of Hectares of land, you would be better off with a Parcela.
No way you could do this in town unless its strictly for personal consumption. There are some semi-urban Garden Centres, usually located on the fringes of towns. Urban land is too expensive for that type of activity.
A house on a standard-sized lot of about 200-250 square meters, with good sun exposure (that's the hard part in my neighborhood), should be good enough for my current purposes. And there's a couple 5000+ square meter lots I've been considering, if I decide to get more serious. Even one of those should be more than enough for what I would be doing. My original plan, using more traditional methods, probably would've needed 1-2 hectares though.
fraggle092 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:36 am
Also, there are quite a few boutique-type enterprises in the Elqui valley , like this one.
Mientras que los empresarios y emprendedores que estén interesados en conocer la oferta de servicios y asesorías técnicas sin costo del Centro de Negocios La Serena de Sercotec, pueden acercarse a sus oficinas ubicadas en Las Rojas Poniente 1664, en La Serena
Thanks, I'll keep them in mind as I'm working on this.