plumbing question

General topics related to Living in Chile
thisisreallycomplicated

plumbing question

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:47 pm

I'm looking for a house to rent, and one problem that keeps coming up is bad plumbing. One really nice house was getting some of the flooring replaced, and I'm pretty sure it was one of those "you can't flush paper" situations. And another one, I asked the neighbor who lived there temporarily, and she said you can't flush paper. But I'm still considering that one, if I can find a way to deal with that problem if it ever happens. So does anyone here know a good way to unclog a mess like that?
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

admin
Site Admin

Re: plumbing question

Post by admin » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:58 pm

yea, a house, in an urban area with that problem in chile in 2019, means it is an provably an extrordinary bad old house, in a probably extrordinarialy bad neighborhood.

the plumbing is the least of your concerns.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:00 pm

To put that in perspective.

I have friends, on septic tanks, in houses over 150 years old, that can flush toilet paper.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:31 pm

admin wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:58 pm
yea, a house, in an urban area with that problem in chile in 2019, means it is an provably an extrordinary bad old house, in a probably extrordinarialy bad neighborhood.

the plumbing is the least of your concerns.
I think it's still common in recently built buildings, in Coquimbo. The place I stayed when I first got here was pretty new, and in a good neighborhood. And the first thing they told me was "don't flush paper, or you'll flood the whole building". They knew that, because it already happened. And they couldn't fix it, without breaking up the concrete floor. New buildings might be ok though. And the house I'm in now, that was built sometime around 2006 (I think), doesn't have that problem.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:40 pm

Now that I think about it, the houses that I know or suspect have that problem, are all a little older. So maybe houses built around 2006 are generally ok. But older than that, maybe not.

And that could explain why this one lease I wouldn't sign, said I'd be responsible for fixing any damages (including from earthquakes, plumbing, etc.). The guy agreed to changing the earthquake part, but insisted everything was "perfect" and I'd be responsible for anything else (even pipes behind walls, that I couldn't see). But someone else rented it, so I didn't keep trying. I'm guessing he was concerned about damage from flooding, but didn't want to just tell me not to flush paper.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:58 pm

Chilean architects seem unable to design buildings where the water and sewerage lines are located close to the service shafts where the drain pipes are. So they often embed them in the concrete floor, where the floor thickness doesn't allow for the proper slope.
Google Search.png
Talking from personal experience here...ran an architect off because his solution to this problem was a sewer pipe in a duct through a downstairs bedroom.
Après moi, le déluge

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:10 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:58 pm
Chilean architects seem unable to design buildings where the water and sewerage pipes are located close to service shafts. So they run pipes embedded in the concrete floor, where the floor thickness doesn't allow for the proper slope.
Google Search.png

Talking from personal experience here...ran an architect off because his solution to this problem was a sewer pipe in a duct through a downstairs bedroom.
The slope problem makes sense. I think the house I'm in now is ok, but maybe I've just been lucky since I usually use the bathrooms close to service shafts? I have a 3rd bathroom that's farther away, but I don't use it that much. I also heard that they use pipes that are too small (smaller than designed), because they're cheaper.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:26 pm

Yeah, can't generalize as every case is different. Standard pipe is 110mm diameter and it could be that a lesser diameter is used to get round the slope problem, only to cause other problems. That wouldn't pass an inspection, (the local water company has to inspect and approve new installations), but by the time the inspector comes around, its all buried in the floor..... in this area, from what I have seen, most construction is overpriced rubbish.
Après moi, le déluge

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:49 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:26 pm
in this area, from what I have seen, most construction is overpriced rubbish.
Some of the new houses I looked at renting, were pretty flimsy. I was in one when a 4.7 hit, and everything started rattling. And the owner looked kinda scared. I think it would've been barely noticeable in my current house, built around 2006.

Anyway, I'm just trying to make the best of what's available here, and avoid the worst of it. So I'm wondering if there's an easy way to unclog pipes, if someone does flush paper when they shouldn't.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:59 pm

1 Caustic Soda
2 A "Sopapa"
3 A drain unclogger - its a flexible steel cable that feeds down the toilet.

Sodimac stocks all those items

There is no reason for not putting toilet paper down the wc in a decent system. Here or anywhere....won't elaborate on my experiences, but a ping-pong ball was the worst. And a small plastic lid wedged up behind the U-Bend. None of those prior solutions worked.
Après moi, le déluge

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:04 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:59 pm
1 Caustic Soda
2 A "Sopapa"
3 A drain unclogger - its a flexible steel cable that feeds down the toilet.

Sodimac stocks all those items

There is no reason for not putting toilet paper down the wc in a decent system. Here or anywhere....won't elaborate on my experiences, but a ping-pong ball was the worst. None of those prior solutions worked.
Thanks, that helps. And I agree, paper shouldn't be a problem. But I'm not so sure about ping pong balls:)

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:51 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:58 pm
Chilean architects seem unable to design buildings where the water and sewerage lines are located close to the service shafts where the drain pipes are. So they often embed them in the concrete floor, where the floor thickness doesn't allow for the proper slope.
Google Search.png

It's not the ,less than, slope that is the major issue, it is too much slope, more is not better, the water runs off leaving the solids......the liquid must carry the solids.....
It's all about the wine.