Canadian citizen stabbed to death in Valpo

General topics related to Living in Chile
mem

Canadian citizen stabbed to death in Valpo

Post by mem » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:29 am

Only seeing it in a canadian paper. I cant seem to determine if he was actually a tourist or not...it says he was but then it says the family lives in santiago.
I wonder if they assumed he was a tourist due to his citizenship.
He was walking with family in a valpo tourist area. Stabbed to death for a backpack? Pretty unusual. No details on the assailants other than there were two of them

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/tourist-k ... -1.5186027

Space Cat

Re: Canadian citizen stabbed to death in Valpo

Post by Space Cat » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:37 am

mem

Post by mem » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:41 am

Ah my mistake...

mem

Post by mem » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:52 pm

I have noticed some expat locals that live round these parts are getting more conscientious about where and what time they let their kids go and be. We are on the other side of chile from valpo in the south of course

There is some FUD being circulated by chileans about it being immigrants responsible for the rise in violent crime. But I dont know that I can confirm that based on real happenings.

I think it is more likely to be wary of all in med-big cities. It's easy to take security for granted in southern med-smallish towns.

Getting jacked in a Santiago bus station by some slick banditos picking up your bag as you are distracted and striking off before anyone knows the wiser...that is not unheard of by any stretch. But again its tourist central meaning mark central. It's like shooting fish on a barrel for pretty larceny. Completely preventable if you aren't caught slippin ; )

But not getting stabbed, let alone to death. Incredibly, I have not been to valpo/vina so just what I am seeing as a southern bumpkin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:24 pm

I noticed a couple ads for rental houses, that said "no foreigners". It could just be 1 guy, with 2 ads. Or even the same ad, and I saw it twice. But it made me wonder if people around here are going to get a little less friendly.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:57 pm

One thing not to do is put up a fight in those situations. These people are savages, they all carry knives and don't think twice about using them. They know where to stick them in as well. Just give them what they are after, and they'll be gone, better that than losing your life. Sincere condolences to the poor guy's family who witnessed it all.

These type of incidents are quite common at the lower end of Chilean society and generally don't make the national news. Not just in Valparaiso either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N54ClDXD-5k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I66ZION5j5k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1T2YYJddN0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epyMGm_IIAg
Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:11 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:24 pm
I noticed a couple ads for rental houses, that said "no foreigners". It could just be 1 guy, with 2 ads. Or even the same ad, and I saw it twice. But it made me wonder if people around here are going to get a little less friendly.
let me translate that for you. that means "no blacks, especially haitiens".

FYI, it is illegal to even say that in an advertising. it is like advertising a job position, and saying the person must be "attractive".

valpo has always been dangerious shit hole. sufficiently dangerous, that like over 10 years ago, i was there with some friends from bogata colombia, and felt it sufficiently shady to warn them to pay attention. we traveled all over chile together, and only valpo sufficiently bugged me to even say anything to them about security. I am talking people who lived day to day with Escobar bombings and shootings.

However a broad daylight murder over a packpack is a new level.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:19 pm

admin wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:11 pm
That's kinda what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Some people here seem to like renting to gringos.
admin wrote:
FYI, it is illegal to even say that in an advertising. it is like advertising a job position, and saying the person must be "attractive".
I was wondering about that. But if someone doesn't want to rent to me, I don't want to rent from them anyway. So the guy who says it up-front is at least saving me from wasting my time:)
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:25 pm

o.k., think the lazy wages inthe other article misrepresented what happened.

seems chile is now allowing Venezuelans to apply for the democracy visa, at all consulates in the world, and not just from Venezuela.

https://www.df.cl/noticias/economia-y-p ... 55946.html

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:26 pm

Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:19 pm
admin wrote:
That's kinda what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Some people here seem to like renting to gringos.
admin wrote:
I was wondering about that. But if someone doesn't want to rent to me, I don't want to rent from them anyway. So the guy who says it up-front is at least saving me from wasting my time:)
it goes beyond just the landlord, the news organization that publishes it can be fined.

at46

Post by at46 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:45 pm

I read somewhere about a UNESCO guy who got robbed and stabbed in a church in Valpo on one of his inspection visits. Four years later, on another visit, same guy got robbed and stabbed in the same church in Valpo again.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:36 am

admin wrote:
...valpo has always been dangerious shit hole...
v1.jpg
v1.jpg (133.6 KiB) Viewed 308 times
The colonial city of Valparaíso presents an excellent example of late 19th-century urban and architectural development in Latin America.

Source: "UNESCO World Heritage Centre" -- whc.unesco.org/en/list/959

{p.s. the photo above taken on my weekly route from my depto on the hill (c. Baron) to the central market}