Has something changed recently with Amazon?

General topics related to Living in Chile
41southchile

Has something changed recently with Amazon?

Post by 41southchile » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:41 pm

I started buying things off Amazon last year and generally had no problems, apart from a few delays, but everything made it eventually.
Now virtually everything I search for it says this item does not ship to Llanquihue, Chile , even items I had in my watchlist now say they will not deliver where as previously they did. Is it because I use a PO Box or have they just given up shipping to Chile ? Anyone else had any issues ?
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

admin
Site Admin

Re: Has something changed recently with Amazon?

Post by admin » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:55 pm

Check your settings. It default now detects the country you are connecting from. There is a button that let's you select the country you are shipping to, for example a box in miami, and then will let you see everything that is for sale. this was part of their big "push" in to Chile.

If you are using a U.S. freight forwarder as your default address, then everything is now for sale.

Makes me want to go beat a red neck, latte drinking, american millennial.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:29 pm

41southchile wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:41 pm
I started buying things off Amazon last year and generally had no problems, apart from a few delays, but everything made it eventually.
Now virtually everything I search for it says this item does not ship to Llanquihue, Chile , even items I had in my watchlist now say they will not deliver where as previously they did. Is it because I use a PO Box or have they just given up shipping to Chile ? Anyone else had any issues ?
That's exactly the reason. If you have a Casilla (POB) Amazon will not deliver because the parcel needs to be signed. The charges for shipping "includes a speedy" process thru customs. I came up with an address of my own and is working out with few hiccups.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:33 pm

Double
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

at46

Post by at46 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:02 pm

Gloria wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:29 pm
41southchile wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:41 pm
That's exactly the reason. If you have a Casilla (POB) Amazon will not deliver because the parcel needs to be signed. The charges for shipping "includes a speedy" process thru customs. I came up with an address of my own and is working out with few hiccups.
No it's not because of that. I have a regular address and a lot of things I used to buy are not being shipped here anymore or I have to go through a bunch of different sellers to find one that will ship here. My theory is they want to you to sign up to Amazon prime as I haven't heard such complaints from people who are on prime.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:19 am

dsolomon wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:35 pm
i wish expats would do something about the theft that goes on at chile express and the post office.
"If wishes were fishes, we all have a fry" Why don´t you tell us what the expats could do to stop the thievery? This ought to be entertaining.

at46

Post by at46 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:47 am

dsolomon wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:35 pm
maybe it's because packages are stolen so sellers don't bother anymore. i wish expats would do something about the theft that goes on at chile express and the post office.
What are you talking about? I've never had anything lost in almost six years here. Some packages took a very long time to arrive, but they did eventually arrive.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:42 pm

people you just got trolled by an automated bot that parsed words from previous posts, and rearranged them.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:04 pm

WTF!

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:06 pm

admin wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:42 pm
people you just got trolled by an automated bot that parsed words from previous posts, and rearranged them.
It looked AI, but pretty good AI.......
It's all about the wine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:14 pm

don't know if i would call it AI but they have been getting better lately.

It failed the Turing test with:

"i wish expats would do something about the theft that goes on at chile express and the post office."

why would expats be able to do anything about the theft at the whatever?

they got the sentence structure right, but picked the wrong verb / noun variables to plug in.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:33 pm

Perhaps if I get ambitious someday, I will write a spam killing bot for the forum. The patterns are pretty simple and steady.

99% of all spam on the forum has one or all of the below characteristics:

1st post
vague relevance to the topic.
reuse of language already in the thread or on the page
IP addresses from outside Chile (mostly asia), and log behavior that no human could generate (hit and run log entries, occurring in seconds)
Time of registration corresponds to Asian / middle eastern business hours time zone, even when registering from a western IP block (e.g. bot nets in the U.S.).

there are probably an additional 80% that have characteristics like:

resurrecting old dead threads, with their first post
registering, and then not posting for weeks or months after registration nor visiting the site. we have thousands of bot users "aging" the user account. I flush them regularly, and as yet to get a complaint like 'hey I registered, and you deleted my account before I could post'.

I am sure there are bunch of others I can come up with If I thought about it.