Building a house in the South of Chile

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
UKinChile

Building a house in the South of Chile

Post by UKinChile » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:48 pm

Hello eveyone,

I've been living in Santiago for a few years but I'm planning to move to the south, region de los Lagos. I'm in the process of buying a parcela and I need some advice on building. My budget is around $50.000.000 CLP. Does anyone know any good prefab companies that I could use, or could I get a an architect and design and build a home with this budget (I'm assuming not!)?

Any advice is much appreciated!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Building a house in the South of Chile

Post by admin » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:53 pm

not counting land, totaly possible to build fairly good house for 50 million pesos.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:17 pm

I bought a cabana prefab kit from this company: http://www.construkit.cl.
They also have houses in many sizes and designs available. Dealing with them was a very satisfactory and professional experience.
My guest cabana is very comfortable, well insulated and well appointed.
Construction took 3 days, not counting kitchen and bath fixture installations. was easy and I am very pleased with the result.

I did the work myself but they have carpenter crews available if wanted.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

UKinChile

Post by UKinChile » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:40 am

lost gringo wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:17 pm
I bought a cabana prefab kit from this company: http://www.construkit.c l
They also have houses in many sizes and designs available. Dealing with them was a very satisfactory and professional experience.
My guest cabana is very comfortable, well insulated and well appointed.
Construction took 3 days, not counting kitchen and bath fixture installations. was easy and I am very pleased with the result.

I did the work myself but they have carpenter crews available if wanted.
Thanks for the link, they look great! Are they insulated enough for a home in a colder wetter area like near puerto montt?

I'd get a crew to put it up for me, I wouldn't trust my carpentry skills in an earthquake!

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:21 am

Yes, the kits come as wall and roof panels with insulation sandwiched in between the exterior and interior skin. You might consider insulating the underfloor which is not included but can be added at the time of construction which is what I did. The windows are double paned glass.
Being that the homes consists of structurally engineered wood panels which are bolted together results in a very strong building which should perform well in an earthquake.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

passport

Post by passport » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:25 am

What are you using for heat? Does the kit include roof penetration materials for a stovepipe?

UKinChile

Post by UKinChile » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:31 pm

passport wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:25 am
What are you using for heat? Does the kit include roof penetration materials for a stovepipe?
Good point. It looks from the photos of the kit like they do. Any recommendation for heating?

passport

Post by passport » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:33 pm

I'm guessing they are pretty easy to heat. A wood or pellet burning stove should work fine. Need a stack out the roof, though. Propane would probably be good too, just need to go out a side wall for intake/exhaust.