Generator reccomndations

General topics related to Living in Chile
Post Reply
User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 620
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Generator reccomndations

Post by 41southchile » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:07 pm

Has anyone purchased a generator in Chile recently and if so do you have any recomendations, brand? Diesel, Bencina, gas(they look quite expensive) best place to buy etc.? Theres a lot of different ones out there , and I've looked online at a few reviews, just wondering if anyone has any Chile specific advice. Has to be able to power a pellet termoestufa (it's also used for central heating and heats radiators 16kw) .. It's on the top of my "things to get" list this year, as well as a big ass freezer (so will want it to power that, possibly, although they can last a few days without opening when there is no electricity)
Hopefully someone here can help with some wisdom. I am currently getting a quote from an electrician that installed the water plant for a generator for that so it will automatically switches over to keep water supply on in the event of an extended power outage, (but that's seperate for the one i want or the house) but it would be good to have some other advice from people that have experience. Saludos
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

mem
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Generator reccomndations

Post by mem » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:11 pm

I'd recommend a Diesel generator that runs at around 1800RPM's. Those are the really good ones. The ones that run at higher RPM's don't have the long term reliability that the 1800 RPM's have. However most of the small portable generators aren't built to last and often run at the higher RPM's.
Diesel also lasts longer in storage, especially with a treatment than Bencina.

If you already have a large Diesel or Propane tank it might make sense to use a generator that matches what fuel you already have a large tank/tanks for. I currently have an 1100 liter underground diesel tank and 2x45kg propane tanks. I plan to expand the propane to at least 3 or 4 x45KG tanks into a input manifold or have a permanent 150 gallon tank installed with 2x45KG tanks attached using a tee pipe fitting and a regular Y regulator adapter. That 150 gallon tank will equal around 12 of the 45KG tanks + the 2 extra tanks and its a lot of those 45KG tanks. Using that just for cooking gas will last for years. If you already have an investment in a home highly available propane supply it might make sense to expand the propane supply capacity and incorporate a propane generator. Propane generators tend to be quieter, though the btu efficiency isnt quite what diesel is. Propane will last forever unlike diesel, which is a huge benefit. I am thinking seriously of a propane generator, but i should probably go diesel when i have an 1100 iter diesel tank in the ground normally used for a diesel boiler that runs a radiator eating system.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17705
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Generator reccomndations

Post by admin » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:29 pm

i had one of those 2.5 kw kipor gas generators. it was fine for what i was using it for at the time, but after it sat for even a month or so would not start. i would have to haul it in for service to get it going again. hardly what you want in a long-term backup generator.

really once you break above a couple of million pesos for a generator, time to start looking at price comparison with something like solar, etc. lot of money for something, that if all goes well, will just sit there and never be used.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

lost gringo
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:12 pm
Location: South Park, Patagonia

Re: Generator reccomndations

Post by lost gringo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:10 pm

I have a 12 year old Kipor 5kw diesel generator that originally was my only power supply until I installed a solar panel system a couple of years ago.
It powered everything including power tools and now it charges the batteries when the sun doesn't shine for a week or two in winter. Still has amazingly, the original starter battery. runs well and doesn't use a lot of fuel. Only maintenance has been changing oil and cleaning the air filter.
Maybe I was just lucky but based on that, it would be my recommendation. Bought it at Sodimac in Puerto Montt.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 620
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Generator reccomndations

Post by 41southchile » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:06 am

lost gringo wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:10 pm
I have a 12 year old Kipor 5kw diesel generator that originally was my only power supply until I installed a solar panel system a couple of years ago.
It powered everything including power tools and now it charges the batteries when the sun doesn't shine for a week or two in winter. Still has amazingly, the original starter battery. runs well and doesn't use a lot of fuel. Only maintenance has been changing oil and cleaning the air filter.
Maybe I was just lucky but based on that, it would be my recommendation. Bought it at Sodimac in Puerto Montt.
Thanks for that, sounds good going to follow that up.
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 620
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Generator reccomndations

Post by 41southchile » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:08 am

admin wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:29 pm
i had one of those 2.5 kw kipor gas generators. it was fine for what i was using it for at the time, but after it sat for even a month or so would not start. i would have to haul it in for service to get it going again. hardly what you want in a long-term backup generator.

really once you break above a couple of million pesos for a generator, time to start looking at price comparison with something like solar, etc. lot of money for something, that if all goes well, will just sit there and never be used.
Yeah exactly, looking at solar options too . Yeah I hope to be able to use it in other areas of the property too for parts that dont have electricity etc, small building projects etc.
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 620
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Generator reccomndations

Post by 41southchile » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:09 am

mem wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:11 pm
I'd recommend a Diesel generator that runs at around 1800RPM's. Those are the really good ones. The ones that run at higher RPM's don't have the long term reliability that the 1800 RPM's have. However most of the small portable generators aren't built to last and often run at the higher RPM's.
Diesel also lasts longer in storage, especially with a treatment than Bencina.

If you already have a large Diesel or Propane tank it might make sense to use a generator that matches what fuel you already have a large tank/tanks for. I currently have an 1100 liter underground diesel tank and 2x45kg propane tanks. I plan to expand the propane to at least 3 or 4 x45KG tanks into a input manifold or have a permanent 150 gallon tank installed with 2x45KG tanks attached using a tee pipe fitting and a regular Y regulator adapter. That 150 gallon tank will equal around 12 of the 45KG tanks + the 2 extra tanks and its a lot of those 45KG tanks. Using that just for cooking gas will last for years. If you already have an investment in a home highly available propane supply it might make sense to expand the propane supply capacity and incorporate a propane generator. Propane generators tend to be quieter, though the btu efficiency isnt quite what diesel is. Propane will last forever unlike diesel, which is a huge benefit. I am thinking seriously of a propane generator, but i should probably go diesel when i have an 1100 iter diesel tank in the ground normally used for a diesel boiler that runs a radiator eating system.
Thanks for that, very helpful to know .
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

User avatar
Space Cat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1368
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: Valdivia

Re: Generator reccomndations

Post by Space Cat » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:22 am

Is it even viable to have solar in the south? I remember the installation and electrical grid modifications were quite expensive even in the sunny climates. Has it changed in the last years?

User avatar
nwdiver
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2979
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC and Chile where ever it's Summer
Contact:

Re: Generator reccomndations

Post by nwdiver » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:31 pm

Are you looking for a constant use generator? If so it has to be a low rpm diesel, and cost allot, the smallest I know of is 20kw northern lights constant use they will run (with proper maintainance) for 200 hours before needing an oil change, in Chile 30k will get you into one, better to setup solar and set you sights on less electrical usage........like no big freezer.....
It's all about the wine.

lost gringo
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:12 pm
Location: South Park, Patagonia

Re: Generator reccomndations

Post by lost gringo » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:39 pm

Solar is definitely viable in the South. Mine is a six panel, twelve battery 3.5kw system which easily provides enough power for house lights plus refrigerator, washing machine, tv, power tools, etc.
It can provide power for a week with no sun until I need to use the generator to charge the batteries.

Cost five years ago was $8000 usd including shipping from Santiago to Puerto Montt for components which I self installed. There is no power grid where I am to connect to so I don't know what the cost of that would be but considering the power company wanted $40,000 usd to run a line to my location I consider it a bargain and there is no monthly bill.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 620
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Generator reccomndations

Post by 41southchile » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:18 pm

nwdiver wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:31 pm
Are you looking for a constant use generator? If so it has to be a low rpm diesel, and cost allot, the smallest I know of is 20kw northern lights constant use they will run (with proper maintainance) for 200 hours before needing an oil change, in Chile 30k will get you into one, better to setup solar and set you sights on less electrical usage........like no big freezer.....
More as an emergency back up for our house, while we dont have that many electric outages, my pellet heating system needs electricity to run (I suppose the only downside of it if I had to think of one) depending on what causes the issue they can be 3 or 4 hours long or 12 hours I think is the longest we have ever had. But in the event the big one strikes or another incident between us and Santiago , that could be a lot longer with no electricity. I also want the ability to be able to put it on the pick up and use it around the property for other things like a concrete mixer, welder?
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

lost gringo
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:12 pm
Location: South Park, Patagonia

Re: Generator reccomndations

Post by lost gringo » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:47 pm

The Kipor I mentioned has wheels but it's really heavy, maybe 120 kilos or more. If you have help lifting it, it will easily fit in a pickup bed, though a trailer might be more practical.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

Post Reply