is growing marijuana legal in Chile

General topics related to Living in Chile
thisisreallycomplicated

is growing marijuana legal in Chile

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:16 pm

I was walking around La Serena today, looking for some wool socks--I think I was on Plat--and I saw a sign for a store that sold supplies for growing pot. But I didn't think that was legal yet. Did something change? I'm interested because of the medicinal uses:)
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: is growing marijuana legal in Chile

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:09 am

Grow shops are ubiquitous these days, there must be at least five or more in my locale of 120.000 inhabitants.

Review the past threads on this, this is not something a PD or naturalized citizen should be testing with as it is still a grey area. You are free to test the five plant limit WITH the correct permisos but don't come here complaining if you get arrested and kicked out of the country. You can legally buy CBD oil but what I tried from a friend was crap.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:09 am

No, it's not legal and the law allowing medical cannabis usage hasn't passed the senate yet. Selling growing supplies is legal though.

See this thread for the details: viewtopic.php?t=16457

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:03 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:09 am
Grow shops are ubiquitous these days, there must be at least five or more in my locale of 120.000 inhabitants.

Review the past threads on this, this is not something a PD or naturalized citizen should be testing with as it is still a grey area. You are free to test the five plant limit WITH the correct permisos but don't come here complaining if you get arrested and kicked out of the country. You can legally buy CBD oil but what I tried from a friend was crap.
Do you know how to get the correct permisos for 5 plants? I don't currently have a need for it, but it would be good to know if I ever do. Thanks.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:10 am

Has to do with medical need, there is an organization that helps with this. If you ask at the grow shop they will give contact info. I might have made a mistake as it may be three not five plants. But this org supposedly helps with getting this permiso. Either way, still a grey area for a foreigner to be messing with till real definite legislation is passed.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:10 am

Space Cat wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:09 am
No, it's not legal and the law allowing medical cannabis usage hasn't passed the senate yet. Selling growing supplies is legal though.

See this thread for the details: viewtopic.php?t=16457
Thanks, I just got done reading that thread. At least it seems to be heading in the right direction.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:13 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:10 am
Has to do with medical need, there is an organization that helps with this. If you ask at the grow shop they will give contact info. I might have made a mistake as it may be three not five plants. But this org supposedly helps with getting this permiso. Either way, still a grey area for a foreigner to be messing with till real definite legislation is passed.
Thanks. Right now I don't have a medical need that I'm aware of. But I always figured that marijuana would be one of the first things to try, if I ever do.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:37 am

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:13 am
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Thanks. Right now I don't have a medical need that I'm aware of. But I always figured that marijuana would be one of the first things to try, if I ever do.
By the time you need it it may be legal, I know a Chilean group including several elected types resentlly visited Canada visiting both goverment and industry reps.......
It's all about the wine.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:21 pm

nwdiver wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:37 am
Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:13 am
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
By the time you need it it may be legal, I know a Chilean group including several elected types resentlly visited Canada visiting both goverment and industry reps.......
People around here seem to think it's already legal:)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:56 pm

yea, Chileans running around telling gringos that it is legal is what has been getting gringos in trouble for years.

Most of those Chileans KNOW it is still illegally and are just talking shit to talk shit for some reason. I guess the hippy crowd somehow figures if they just tell gringos it is legal, they are somehow helping "the cause".

We have literally had this conversation with a gringo on the phone. It went something like this:

We get a call from a captain in the carbineros. He says we have, "senior bla bla in custody for growing marijuana, and he would like to speak with an English speaking attorney".

Carbiero puts the gringo on the phone.

Gringo says, "but my friends told me it was legal in Chile to grow marijuana".

Yea, obviously that swat team did not get the memo.

When you are in handcuffs, as the swat team is delicately tearing your house and property apart, and the nice carabinero calls us on his cell phone for you to speak to an attorney in English, somewhere in that conversation we are going to tell you a couple of things:

A) Marijuana is not legal in Chile
B) There is a very big criminal defense bill that goes with not believing A
C) We don't do criminal defense work.

The other one I have gotten a lot of recently is frigen morons outside the country, that have read online "Marijuana is legal in Chile" (so it must be true), and want to start investing in Marijuana production in Chile as foreigners. So they find some hippy dippy Chilean partner that reassures them that there is no problem for foreigners to invest in cannabis or anything else (they want to hear) in Chile.

Of course, because they are activist of some sort, when I start listing the 100 + 1 reasons that it is extremely illegal for a foreigner to invest in Marijuana production in Chile, they want to argue with me about it. There is zero differentiation between investing in marijuana relate business in Chile and investing in a cocaine cartel as far as the Chilean law is concerned. Just talking to someone about transferring money to invest in a cannabis related business, is a felony. It is conspiracy to traffic drugs. Never mind the whole actual transfer of funds, international money laundering laws, etc, etc, etc.

Do that, and they will not be deporting you for a while; because you will be in prison.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:14 pm

admin wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:56 pm
yea, Chileans running around telling gringos that it is legal is what has been getting gringos in trouble for years.
I just meant that people around here are always smoking it, as if it's already legal. Noone's actually told me that it's legal.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:48 pm

Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:14 pm
admin wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:56 pm
I just meant that people around here are always smoking it, as if it's already legal. Noone's actually told me that it's legal.
Yeah theres a lot of that that goes on, I hink that's just Chile, people talk on the phone while driving like its legal, people do extensions to their houses , like add a second story with no paperwork. People stop their car or micro anywhere in Chile like a yellow line or over a pedestrian crossing as long as they have their hazard lights on they think it's ok. Yeah I always smell weed smokers walking around Puerto Montt , or the people selling weed cake in Santiago , point is dont assume something is "legal" in Chile just because you see them doing it. They are not known for respecting the law here if they consider it trivial and chances are 9 times out of 10 there will be no one to tell them any different and no consequences, just watch out for that 1 in 10 time.
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile