giving away an old car

General topics related to Living in Chile
thisisreallycomplicated

giving away an old car

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:40 pm

Does anyone here know the legal way to give away an old car in Chile? I don't think it's worth anything, but a guy who cut my grass today said he wanted it. Is there a way I can just give it to him, without going to registro civil? I don't know if he just wants it for parts, or if he thinks he can fix it. Thanks.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

mem

Re: giving away an old car

Post by mem » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:29 pm

Good question, I was wondering along similar lines. Like if you have an old car and just want to donate it or get rid of it with as little fuss as possible. I know in the US someone will come and tow away donation cars. Sometimes they give you some money, sometimes you gotta give them some money but it gets rid of the vehicle legally and liability wise. Im not aware of any "junkyards" around region 9 where I am, but maybe in Santiago

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:17 pm

sign over the title, just to be sure. that car could end-up causing a a lot of trouble (repaper a stolen car, or an accident, etc).

i had a car a few years ago that had a blown engine. a cousine of the secretary of my mechanic bought it off of me for 1.5 million (yea i use to pay to have them town away in the states). a year later, he never contacted me for the title. it was only after i told her that if he did not get in touch with me i was going to cancel the title, that he finaly got in touch with me so i could sign it over to him.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:19 pm

think of it this way. cost of the car should be at least you never having responsibility for it again.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:57 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:19 pm
think of it this way. cost of the car should be at least you never having responsibility for it again.
Yep, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. I gave away an old Blazer, back in Michigan. And the guy never transfered the title, like he said he would. Then I got fined for an abandoned vehicle in Detroit.

Do you have to go to registro civil to sign over the title, or is there another way to do it? I only dealt with this once, when I bought the car a long time ago.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:02 pm

mem wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:29 pm
Good question, I was wondering along similar lines. Like if you have an old car and just want to donate it or get rid of it with as little fuss as possible. I know in the US someone will come and tow away donation cars. Sometimes they give you some money, sometimes you gotta give them some money but it gets rid of the vehicle legally and liability wise. Im not aware of any "junkyards" around region 9 where I am, but maybe in Santiago
I always bought used cars, and drove them until they were ready for the junk yard. So I usually just called someone to tow them away, and I got about $60. And I think I left one parked on the street in Ypsilanti once, and kinda just forgot about it:)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:48 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:57 pm
admin wrote:
Yep, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. I gave away an old Blazer, back in Michigan. And the guy never transfered the title, like he said he would. Then I got fined for an abandoned vehicle in Detroit.

Do you have to go to registro civil to sign over the title, or is there another way to do it? I only dealt with this once, when I bought the car a long time ago.
a notary will do.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:50 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:48 pm
admin wrote:

a notary will do.
Thanks. Now I have to see if I can find the title, but I don't remember ever getting the title. So that could be a problem:(

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:04 pm

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:50 pm
admin wrote:
admin wrote:

a notary will do.
Thanks. Now I have to see if I can find the title, but I don't remember ever getting the title. So that could be a problem:(
Maybe easier to do it registry civil then, with the licences plate number you can get a copy of padron (ownership paper) to do the transfer, the new buyer will still have to pay a transfer fee because it will have a fiscal book value , I think it's called a blue book value in states(or is that something else?), the value govt put on vehicles to get their tax when its transferred even if its sold for one peso.
The notary is just a roundabout (longer way of doing it ) in my opinion, it's ok if you want them to draw up the contract etc, but you still will pay more as all they do in the end is send it off to registery civil too, if there is a notary closer, fair enough, but I would do it directly through registro civil as there is no contract in your case?. But yeah the buyer, or receiver in your case, will still have to pay that tax. Only time it doesn't work at registro civil is if someone is here on a temp Visa and doesn't have a permanent carnet and they only have the impuestos internos number, then it has to be done at notary , a part from that Registro civil is quickest easiest path I've always found for vehicle transfers.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. - Darwin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:48 pm

41southchile wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:04 pm
admin wrote:
admin wrote:

a notary will do.
Maybe easier to do it registry civil then, with the licences plate number you can get a copy of padron (ownership paper) to do the transfer, the new buyer will still have to pay a transfer fee because it will have a fiscal book value , I think it's called a blue book value in states(or is that something else?), the value govt put on vehicles to get their tax when its transferred even if its sold for one peso.
The notary is just a roundabout (longer way of doing it ) in my opinion, it's ok if you want them to draw up the contract etc, but you still will pay more as all they do in the end is send it off to registery civil too, if there is a notary closer, fair enough, but I would do it directly through registro civil as there is no contract in your case?. But yeah the buyer, or receiver in your case, will still have to pay that tax. Only time it doesn't work at registro civil is if someone is here on a temp Visa and doesn't have a permanent carnet and they only have the impuestos internos number, then it has to be done at notary , a part from that Registro civil is quickest easiest path I've always found for vehicle transfers.
I think you're right. I liked the notary idea, because they probably have hours that work better for me. But if registro civil is simpler, because of the title issue, that could be my best option. Do you know if I would need to wait for a copy of the padron, or if it's something they can do at the same time as the transfer?

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:23 pm

Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:48 pm
41southchile wrote:
admin wrote:
admin wrote:

a notary will do.
I think you're right. I liked the notary idea, because they probably have hours that work better for me. But if registro civil is simpler, because of the title issue, that could be my best option. Do you know if I would need to wait for a copy of the padron, or if it's something they can do at the same time as the transfer?
They can print it off on the spot for you with your licence plate number and carnet, for something like 890 pesos or other weird amount , but it's less than 1000 pesos .
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. - Darwin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:28 pm

41southchile wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:23 pm
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:48 pm
41southchile wrote:
admin wrote:
admin wrote:

a notary will do.
They can print it off on the spot for you with your licence plate number and carnet, for something like 890 pesos or other weird amount , but it's less than 1000 pesos .
Thanks, I just want to get this done in the simplest way I can.