6 Months in Santiago

General topics related to Living in Chile
Post Reply
Curtez
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:10 pm

6 Months in Santiago

Post by Curtez » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:49 pm

Hey everyone
Been here in Santiago 6 months and aggressively trying to find employment. All attemps so far have resulted in nada. I objectively have the necessary background and skills. Has anyone else experienced this? I am on a tourist visa still and have been to Mendoza twice and back for renewals. A friend of mine who lives here said I had to come here first on tourist visa, then find a job. However, it has been a whole lot of silence.
Thanks all
curtez

Gloria
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 4537
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Región de los Ríos

Re: 6 Months in Santiago

Post by Gloria » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:04 pm

Well, your friend is wrong. When you enter as a tourist, you are suppose to enjoy the beauty of this country and then back home you go. If you have intentions to come here to work then you should apply for a different visa with a job contract.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17924
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: 6 Months in Santiago

Post by admin » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:58 pm

yea, generaly companies in chile don't like the hassel of getting the work permission sorted out when hiring someone on a tourust visa. in fact most don't know how to deal with it.

get a visa with a work permit, and try again.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

GAminer
Rank: Chile Forum Full Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:05 pm

Re: 6 Months in Santiago

Post by GAminer » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:01 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:58 pm
yea, generaly companies in chile don't like the hassel of getting the work permission sorted out when hiring someone on a tourust visa. in fact most don't know how to deal with it.

get a visa with a work permit, and try again.
Got to have a job offer to get a work permit, need a work contract to get a job offer......

User avatar
Space Cat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1381
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: Valdivia

Re: 6 Months in Santiago

Post by Space Cat » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:34 pm

GAminer wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:01 pm
Got to have a job offer to get a work permit, need a work contract to get a job offer......
As far as I know, a job offer can be obtained without a contract and it's non-binding, so it's possible to go for another job or even stay self-employed (you can get a permanent residency as an "honorario" according to Extranjería's requirements).

mem
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: 6 Months in Santiago

Post by mem » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:43 pm

Curtez wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:49 pm
Hey everyone
Been here in Santiago 6 months and aggressively trying to find employment. All attemps so far have resulted in nada. I objectively have the necessary background and skills. Has anyone else experienced this? I am on a tourist visa still and have been to Mendoza twice and back for renewals. A friend of mine who lives here said I had to come here first on tourist visa, then find a job. However, it has been a whole lot of silence.
Thanks all
curtez
What types of employment positions are you seeking?

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17924
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: 6 Months in Santiago

Post by admin » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:42 am

GAminer wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:01 pm
admin wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:58 pm
yea, generaly companies in chile don't like the hassel of getting the work permission sorted out when hiring someone on a tourust visa. in fact most don't know how to deal with it.

get a visa with a work permit, and try again.
Got to have a job offer to get a work permit, need a work contract to get a job offer......
there are visas that do not depend on you having a job offer, or any job for that matter.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Curtez
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: 6 Months in Santiago

Post by Curtez » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:37 pm

I am 31 and have extensive experience in the wine industry. I attended the U.S. Embassy's "rount table" meeting this past week and spoke directly to two representatives from the Chilean Immigration Office here. They stated that I need to have a job offer first and for my particular situation, that would be the only way vs. other avenues of obtaining a visa. As for my friend's comment of showing up here on a tourist first, worked for her perfectly (that was also 8 years ago)...

I guess I don't understand those on here who simply say "go get a job offer." This is not like going to the supermarket and choosing whatever you want. Everyone tells me here I need pitutos, pitutos, pitutos. I get that, contacts are everything. But you can't get those by applying on LinkedIn, etc. back in the States remotely... Also for the interviews that I have had, they want me to come in face-to-face the following day, and then freak out that I don't have a valid visa.

If you are in the States, you can't grow your pituto base nor attend a potential interview the following day for an interview, but if you are in Chile you can't do anything on a tourist visa nor able to obtain the legal right to stay in order to continue to search for one.

Question is: what is one to do? I want to stay here and contribute to this place, but time is running very short...

Thanks all.

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 7517
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: 6 Months in Santiago

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:06 pm

There are more types of visas in-country than a work contract visa.

Review the types here:
https://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/visas/

The better strategy would have been to set your ducks up finances and "proof/s"-wize in the States, come to Chile, and then apply for a periodic income or professional visa paying for the work permit with it and then looking for a job. This of course would have required three months or more which of course you could have focused on on the ground research and networking and enjoying yourself before the push to get into the Chilean rat race.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Post Reply