USA Citizen Married To a Chilean Wanting to Move to Chile

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
vamoschile

USA Citizen Married To a Chilean Wanting to Move to Chile

Post by vamoschile » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:35 pm

My wife and I are planning on moving to Chile. We have registered our marriage with Chile at the registro civil 2 years ago. We are wanting a temporary visa before we arrive in Chile. I have read dealing with the consulate is awful as far as getting correct information. That being said if we submit a visa application what will be the turn around time. I know it's easier doing it in Chile but I have a job offer in Chile to start working June 2019 and I would like to have my visa done with a carnet in hand. Please let me know what you think would be the best solution and if I go through the consulate is there any advice and a time frame to except.

Thanks in advance!

tiagoabner

Re: USA Citizen Married To a Chilean Wanting to Move to Chile

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:08 pm

https://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/visa-de- ... emporaria/

"Visa Temporaria para extranjero con vínculo con chileno(a)" is the one you're looking for. It is, in theory, the easiest of all visas to get. Since your wife is Chilean, I assume that she reads perfect Spanish, so she can easily work her way around the requirement docs at that website.

Don't waste your time applying abroad: the visa is meant to be applied for within Chile.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:16 pm

BTW, the visa allows you to request a "Solicitud de autorizacion de trabajo con visa en tramite", which allows you to work while your visa request is being processed. Don't try to jump through needless loops: you have the easiest path to go through, just follow the steps outlined at Extranjeria and you'll be fine.

vamoschile

Post by vamoschile » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:18 pm

Tiagoabner thanks for the quick response! I understand its easier to get the visa in Chile but it also takes 6 plus months to get the visa and carnet from what I have been reading on the forums. My thoughts were to do a little more heavy lifting before we come in May and get the visa from the consulate. I understand the consulate is difficult to deal with and I wanted some advice from people that have navigated them successfully. The consulate I am dealing with is in Chicago. My fear with arriving and doing the visa is I will wait around 6 months to get the visa and I know you can get a temporary work visa while waiting for your visa but I had read that is taking months to get as well. If someone knows how long a work permission takes to get after applying for the visa that would be great to know. I am also worried since the company I will be working for is a small consulting firm where I need to pay AFP and insurance(Isapre) and I won't be able to pay those benefits without the carnet. I know its not ideal working with the consulate but I wondered if it's easier, in the long run, to just arrive and be done with everything but the carnet. I also wonder how the company I will be working for think when I tell them I don't have an official carnet. Does anyone know how long its currently taking to get a temporary visa from inside Chile?

Thanks

vamoschile

Post by vamoschile » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:19 pm

How long does it take to get the "Solicitud de autorizacion de trabajo con visa en tramite" and how long is it valid for? What about a carnet for AFP and Insurance?

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:25 pm

vamoschile wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:19 pm
How long does it take to get the "Solicitud de autorizacion de trabajo con visa en tramite" and how long is it valid for? What about a carnet for AFP and Insurance?
I've just contacted an acquaintance that requested the "Autorizacion de trabajo" last year. It took her about 45 days to get it. I didn't get in more detail about it from her, but it shouldn't take more than 60 days. She mentioned that it had the instructions at the Extranjeria website right after her visa request was shown as "being processed".

As far as I know, you get your carnet after you get your visa. I don't know if requesting the autorizacion de trabajo allows you to get it faster, but my guess is "No".

I'm not the best person to give AFP info, so I won't comment on that.

bow26

Post by bow26 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:11 pm

The AFP can issue you a temporary RUT once you have your work contract / permiso especial visa en trámite paperwork and you can use that to make AFP contributions and give it to the Isapre.

Huelshoff

Post by Huelshoff » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:01 am

I am retiring and moving to Chile in July. My (Chilean) wife was at a meeting at the US Embassy in Santiago earlier this week. She spoke with representatives from the Chilean immigration ministry. They told her quite forcefully that changes to the immigration law set to be in force "in the second quarter" will require that all those who want to apply for a temporary residency visa must do so in their country of residence prior to entering Chile. I understand that this was a proposal last year, but have not heard that it was enacted. There was a guy there at the meeting who told them that he had tried to do so through the Houston consulate (the one I would have to use), and they screwed it up (consistent with what we have heard on this blog). The immigration ministry reps said that they would contact the consulate.

Has anyone heard anything about this supposed imminent change?

vamoschile

Post by vamoschile » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:58 pm

I just wanted to give an update on what I decided and hopefully this can be useful for someone else in the future. I have a job offer at a reputable company and I didn't want to be playing the 6-9 month visa waiting game in Chile so I decided to apply at my local consulate who said it would take 3-4 weeks. I had read the forums and was concerned but took the risk and applied anyways. I first called every consulate in the USA and every single one of them gave me a different answer. This was frustrating but in the end I combined what all of them said and applied with all the documents they wanted. What is also funny is you apply online and the requirements online are different then the requirements written in email from the different consulates. Anyways, after applying and crossing my fingers I got an email in less then a week that my visa had been approved so I went to the consulate paid the fee and now how my temporary residency. I am happy I decided to risk and get the visa here and now I don't have to play the wait in the never ending line game in Chile. The only fear I have now is wether or not the registerd my visa correctly. U hope this helps someone in the future make a decision on appyling in your home country verses Chile. I was in Chile a little over 3 months ago and tried to wait in line and it seemed unrelastic, there were people that were sleeping outside the immigraiton offices in Chile to get their paperwork done.

Huelshoff

Post by Huelshoff » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:58 pm

I just contacted the Chilean consulate in Houston, and they gave me a turn-around time of six months and told me that my Chilean wife had to initiate the application. Their paperwork also said it would take 2-3 weeks, but gave me the six month timeline in a subsequent email. Which consulate did you go through?

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:57 pm

See this:

https://tramites.minrel.gov.cl/Solicitudes/visa.aspx

So it looks as though the Foreign Relations Ministry finally standardized the process of visas and from the above comments, the individual consulates are not yet on the same page.

One difference from Extranjería is the list of possible visas. I saw nothing about a Marriage Visa though perhaps it could fall under the seventh one on the popup list (see below).

Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 7.51.27 PM.jpg

But that begs the question, is it still the dreaded business/investment visa that is not recommended?
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Huelshoff

Post by Huelshoff » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:45 pm

The consulate in Houston sent me a link to this form, along with a list of conditions for applying for a visa based on marriage. The list was generated by the consulate, and stated that the application must be initiated by the Chilean spouse--which is inconsistent with the questions on the form above.