Chile: second run

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
tiagoabner

Chile: second run

Post by tiagoabner » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:54 pm

Hello, fellow forumites.

I'll be moving back to Chile with my wife by October for our second run. After doing some research at previous posts and on some government websites, I have some questions that I think y'all could help me with.

1. Both of us have cédulas already, but they're expired. I understand that we'll keep the same RUT number once they're renovated after we get our temp visas. However, are they good for anything? My guess is "no", but we would like to sign up for an Isapre as soon as we arrive and I was wondering if that would be a thing on an expired cédula.

2. Do you have any recommendations on good, no-bullshit real estate agents? We're looking forward to renting a pet-friendly place in a specific area, but our experience with Chilean real estate agents was pretty lackluster. We actually ended up renting from a fellow forumite last time, but his place had a no-pets policy, and now we've a kitten with us. PM me if you have someone to recommend. Money is not a problem and we don't mind paying for good service.

3. Extranjeria currently lists the wait time for residência temporaria at 6 months. Is that figure correct? Is anyone familiar with how long the process has been taking?

4. Is the "octavo básico" still the fastest way to get a Chilean driver's license? Has anyone went trough the process in the last year or so?

Thank you all for your help.

41southchile

Re: Chile: second run

Post by 41southchile » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:16 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:54 pm
Hello, fellow forumites.

I'll be moving back to Chile with my wife by October for our second run. After doing some research at previous posts and on some government websites, I have some questions that I think y'all could help me with.

1. Both of us have cédulas already, but they're expired. I understand that we'll keep the same RUT number once they're renovated after we get our temp visas. However, are they good for anything? My guess is "no", but we would like to sign up for an Isapre as soon as we arrive and I was wondering if that would be a thing on an expired cédula.

2. Do you have any recommendations on good, no-bullshit real estate agents? We're looking forward to renting a pet-friendly place in a specific area, but our experience with Chilean real estate agents was pretty lackluster. We actually ended up renting from a fellow forumite last time, but his place had a no-pets policy, and now we've a kitten with us. PM me if you have someone to recommend. Money is not a problem and we don't mind paying for good service.

3. Extranjeria currently lists the wait time for residência temporaria at 6 months. Is that figure correct? Is anyone familiar with how long the process has been taking?

4. Is the "octavo básico" still the fastest way to get a Chilean driver's license? Has anyone went trough the process in the last year or so?

Thank you all for your help.
Hola

1. Quite hard to do almost anything with an expired cedula (mind you an isapre may not care, they just want the business)luck of the draw if they notice when you do tramites, they probably won't, to save the hassle , update it.

2. Haven't met any in Chile, ever, I hear rumors that they exist, although they are very rare.

3. No, depends on anything and everything, there is no standard time , 6 months is just a bullshit figure made to sound like they are efficient, if you're lucky it maybe 6 months if not try 18 months.

4. Not sure on that.
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:21 pm

On the cédula thing: is it even possible to update it while I'm waiting for the Visa? I guess the answer is "no", but Chile had surprised me before

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:36 am

Welcome back, if you don't mind — what's up with Portugal?
tiagoabner wrote:
If you have an apostille of your diploma, you don't need to pass the Octavo Básico exams. Otherwise, check out my guide.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:40 am

:lol:

I'll swap you ten unicorns for a good real estate agent.

the pet thing in theory should get easier. there was a lawsuit brought by some apartment owners a while back against a building that had a no pet policy. the court ruled that the buildings could not arbitrarily restrict the ownership rights of an apartment owner by banning domstic animals from a building. don't know much about it beyond that, other than our "no pet" building in santiago suddendly got a whole bunch of dogs going in and out.

yea, if your residency expired, then you got to start over.

you did not visit chile at all for more than a year? you never did the extensions at the chilean consulate?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:51 am

Space Cat wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:36 am
tiagoabner wrote:
4. Is the "octavo básico" still the fastest way to get a Chilean driver's license? Has anyone went through the process in the last year or so?
If you have an apostille of your diploma, you don't need to pass the Octavo Básico exams. Otherwise, check out my guide.
Portugal is nice, but it's too "backwater" and retrograde for us. We've handled the family business we came here for, so we don't really have that much of a reason to stay. The fact that the country is amidst its craziest real estate bubble ever doesn't help.

I happen to have an apostilled copy of my diploma, so I should be good to go. However, your guide doesn't mention the need for a valid foreign driver's license. Is it needed as well? My Brazilian one is expired, so I will get that sorted out if that's the case.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:55 am

admin wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:40 am
:lol:

I'll swap you ten unicorns for a good real estate agent.

the pet thing in theory should get easier. there was a lawsuit brought by some apartment owners a while back against a building that had a no pet policy. the court ruled that the buildings could not arbitrarily restrict the ownership rights of an apartment owner by banning domstic animals from a building. don't know much about it beyond that, other than our "no pet" building in santiago suddendly got a whole bunch of dogs going in and out.

yea, if your residency expired, then you got to start over.

you did not visit chile at all for more than a year? you never did the extensions at the Chilean consulate?
I don't have high hopes of finding a good real estate agent, these are as rare as winged rhino-corns. However, if they do exist, then this is the most reasonable place to get any info on them.

We didn't get the Residencia Permanente, as we left the country before the end of our first temp visa. I assumed that the cédula was going to be completely useless while I went through the temp visa process again, but I heard some reports of non-resident foreigners signing up for an Isapre on an expired visa, so I wonder if anyone here has heard anything about this.

bones

Post by bones » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:16 pm

but I heard some reports of non-resident foreigners signing up for an Isapre on an expired visa, so I wonder if anyone here has heard anything about this.
Before I had temp residency and a RUT, Colmena assigned me a "RUT Provisorio" so we could get a plan.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:24 pm

Yep, that's exactly what I heard. However, I have a arUT already, but my cédula os expired. I assume I'll need to roll the dice and see how that runs with them.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:38 pm

we have lots of clients under tourist visas and a temp rut for foriegners get private health insurance plans.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:46 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:51 am
Space Cat wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:36 am
tiagoabner wrote:
4. Is the "octavo básico" still the fastest way to get a Chilean driver's license? Has anyone went through the process in the last year or so?
Portugal is nice, but it's too "backwater" and retrograde for us. We've handled the family business we came here for, so we don't really have that much of a reason to stay. The fact that the country is amidst its craziest real estate bubble ever doesn't help.

I happen to have an apostilled copy of my diploma, so I should be good to go. However, your guide doesn't mention the need for a valid foreign driver's license. Is it needed as well? My Brazilian one is expired, so I will get that sorted out if that's the case.
All you need is the diploma and a bill with your name and address in the comuna that you live in. I used an internet bill. Then you just have to pass the written, driving, and psychometric exam. The only problem that you have is being attended by some incompetent chilean that does not know the rules and regulations regarding the octavo basico.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:36 pm

Tiago-san, so Portugal getting bored and real estate already expensive? Claro, when the Chinos getting to own everything things go sour. Welcome back to Chilitolandia !
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.