Correos Chile is horrible!

Discuss the best and worst companies and customer services in Chile including tips, tricks, rants, endorsements, and which businesses to avoid at all cost. If we talk about them frequently enough, we might just get the attention of the company. Help other Expats and Gringos find the good companies in Chile, and avoid the bad ones.
wendellk

Correos Chile is horrible!

Post by wendellk » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:10 am

On December 22, 2019 a gift was sent to me from the US. The gift is still sitting at the airport and there is no way to get a straight answer from the fools < NO EMAIL > Correos Chile!

When I enter the tracking number, the same canned answer appears on the screen. It is beyond belief that a gift that was sent in December, is still not in my hands! Holding a gift for over two months is beyond belief! Welcome to the Third World!

Uruguay has the same problem. A package was shipped from the US and I never received it. Approximately two months later, the person who sent the gift contacted me and explained that she received the package that she sent and it was marked refused by the Uruguay Postal Service.

It would appear that South America has a problem doing simple things! What a mess.

41southchile

Re: Correos Chile is horrible!

Post by 41southchile » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:17 am

How long have you been here ? I think you are being unduly harsh.....on third world countries. Your gift has probably been stolen or it might randomly show up in another month or two, it's only March. My money's on it being stolen.
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:19 am

My experiences with Correos Chile have been good. They send me an email every time a letter or parcel arrives. If there is a problem with a parcel and customs, they give me the correct contact info and I get my parcel. Perhaps the problem is within you and your North American sense of entitlement. There are little bureaucratic obstacles here, but you need to learn to go around them or be forever frustrated. Become like water - Bruce Lee.

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:23 am

I have never had a problem with correos chile, but I also do not use them for international shipping. Why did you not use FedEx?

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:33 am

Yes, Correos de Chile is horrible, incompetent, etc and they will lose stuff that is sitting right under their noses. Using tracking info I was able to locate the specific office that last saw a missing box of books (fortunately not irreplaceable) and I was astonished that they could not find it (how hard would it be to find the extra heavy box with these dimensions, from the UK, in your tiny office? Unless it never really arrived...)
Maybe their problem is that they do not want to spring a few extra lucas to modernize their tracking stuff, maybe they are just inundated with untrustworthy people, maybe both.

Use Fedex or DHL if it matters, **NOT** UPS. UPS is just as bad as Correos.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:33 pm

Actually IME, tracking and accountability seem to have improved at Correos.

What do the entries show? Is it in Aduanas? If so, they should have sent certified letters to you informing you of the hold and what needs to be done to solve it.

Was this poste restante or going to a Correos casilla or a domicilio address? If an address, have you been there to receive the certified letters?

At two months, it is at the point of being sent back if stuck in Aduanas.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:45 pm

My bet on not declaring the value and then not receiving a note to submit a receipt and pay the customs' fees. I get 2-3 packages from Correos every month, without any problems.
wendellk wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:10 am
It would appear that South America has a problem doing simple things! What a mess.
Then go back to your glorious first world, we have too many arrogant whining "expats" already. 😃

mem

Post by mem » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:44 pm

It all depends on the weight, declared value, and what they see in the xray.

My experience is to keep it under $100 declared USD value and keep it super simple on the itemized declaration. If your sender gets all super detailed you might as well tell them not to send it.

If its beyond those parameters...then you need to hire a broker, Browne is a good one and be prepared to pay out the nose for customs fees and even provide original purchase receipts regardless of if it's a gift. Yes you need the commercial invoice from the gift giver.

The declaration makes all the difference. Depending on how wise/savvy your sender is will dictate your level of suffering

Ome example of a fail...I bought a laptop in the US and relied on someone to send it to me. They misheard me and put a value on the declaration that was insanely more than it really was. It took me months and months of negotiations to get it including a third party broker and a ridiculous amount of customs fees above and beyond the actual value.

Be very careful who sends you packages from the US

mem

Post by mem » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:46 pm

As long as you play by the unwritten rules its pretty easy to get stuff sent here. Try to push it and just fuhget bout it ; )

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:23 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:45 pm

Then go back to your glorious first world, we have too many arrogant whining "expats" already. 😃
Are the Chileans that complain about Correos "arrogant whiners" as well then 😃??😃??

A snippet of just of some of today's "whines" in Reclamos.cl
Screenshot-2019-3-8 Correos De Chile Reclamos cl.png
<whine> Correos are CRAP! </whine>
Après moi, le déluge

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:33 pm

I’m aware of the problems with Correos but the OP’s tantrum is immature. It would be better both for him and for us, third worlders, if he’ll get back to the safe and predictable first world as soon as possible.

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:51 pm

ExpatBob wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:33 am
Maybe their problem is that they do not want to spring a few extra lucas to modernize their tracking stuff, maybe they are just inundated with untrustworthy people, maybe both.
I was told they have automatic sorting machines for incoming packages. But when I pick up something at the local branch, they have to finger through a thick stack of A4 size paper notifications piled up in alphabetical order, looking for my name. So my guess is they bought the cheapest shittiest system for the airport just to get packages out of the incoming warehouse while the rest of the country still functions on paper. It may be a trillion dollar economy, according to admin's generous estimates, but it certainly feels third world 99% of the time. I have a package from the UK still missing since December. It's a car part - my car needs a lot of care given our third world roads.