Porotos, and their photos...

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
RuneTheChookcha

Porotos, and their photos...

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:10 pm

Want to see what is inside the beans? Here we go.
03.jpg
02.jpg
01.jpg
Bought at the market, here in Valpo...

Not every lot is like this, but more often than desirable. Unfortunately.

Should I post a photo of peanuts?..

RuneTheChookcha

Re: Porotos, and their photos...

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:25 pm

Mani crudo.

Sometimes, they are screwed in a very similar way. This photo is not showing the structure well, though.
04.jpg
EDIT: Now that I have pealed more nuts, here is another picture showing 4 more or less acceptable (to the right) and 4 screwed (to the left) for the comparison.
05.jpg
06.jpg

passport

Post by passport » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:55 pm

Buy European, no GMOs

at46

Post by at46 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:08 pm

passport wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:55 pm
Buy European, no GMOs
How do you know these are GMO? I mean, isn't there a law that prohibits growing GMO food for human consumption in Chile? As in, they can import it because of free trade, but not grow locally.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:31 pm

I don't believe this is about GMO.

I first started to notice the change to the beans while living in the Temuco area, around 2010 0r 2011. Prior to that, there was no "screwed" beans whatsoever -- in the Temuco market or in the feria.

Currently, however, the change is related to so many other fruits and vegetables, either grown locally or imported. There are sometimes quite ugly peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, oranges, kiwis. Speaking of their inner structure. If only you remember how things were some 10 - 20 years back.

passport

Post by passport » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:09 pm

No, I was just kidding. GMO products are generally engineered to look more perfect - like the tomatoes in Chile. Could these distorted beans be the result of drought conditions? Or maybe genetic drift causing distortion of the original form?

passport

Post by passport » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:13 pm

According to this, Chile is using GMO agriculture:
https://gmo.geneticliteracyproject.org/ ... nd-banned/

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:26 pm

Cosmic radiation intensity due to weakening of the magnetic field especially in this part of the world? When being out in the sun, the sun does feel and seem more intense than a decade+ back.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:34 pm

passport wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:13 pm
Wow, big plus for Peru and Ecuador products if you can find them. Never seen any Venezuela products in Chile which I'm sure are needed inside that country over exportation these days.

Bayer does have a presence in Chile but the GMO hectare amount for a food exporter such as Chile is still quite low. Would be interested to find the crop makeup for that. Could be sugar beets as I do not see how Chile could compete in soy and corn vs. Argie and Brasil or perhaps Bayer Crap Science's experimental fields in Chile?
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

at46

Post by at46 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:27 pm

passport wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:13 pm
They have (or had) GMO seed production here on a pretty small scale - I remember figures like 22K ha that later shrank to 5K ha - and only for export, but I've never seen anything that said they have actual GMO food production for local consumption.

The disfigured fruit is the rejects unsuitable for export. Maybe porotos too? It's this new-fangled sorting technology where they can sort through pretty much anything literally piece by piece and grain by grain.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:31 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:26 pm
Cosmic radiation intensity due to weakening of the magnetic field especially in this part of the world? When being out in the sun, the sun does feel and seem more intense than a decade+ back.
No, this is all the biodegradable plastic bags entering our food chain.

On a serious note, back in 2009 -- 2012 I observed lots of distorted plants and herbs in the wild, while living in rural Araucania in the 9th region. To such a degree, that they were more in numbers than "normal" plants. One of the examples, on many flowers, the number of petals was more than it had to be (like, 7, 8, or 9, where there must be 5 petals exactly). Distorted flowers. Distorted leaves on trees. This had nothing to do with GMO.

Here in Valpo region, where there are too few native herbs, it is difficult to see anything unusual, though.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:35 pm

I believe Runester buys from the local feria where the majority comes from small producers where the vendor may be the same person or part of the same family who grew the produce they are selling. This is the time of year where porotos granados are harvested and plentiful. There is no sorting, you have to buy a couple kilos and peel out the beans yourself.

I agree with the observation on the weird shapes and sizes and other blemishes that seem to be more common.

--eeuunikkeiexpat