Buying a land with water drainage passing through

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
passport

Re: Buying a land with water drainage passing through

Post by passport » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:37 pm

Yeah, what’s on the downhill side of the property? Maybe line the ditch with slab or send it through a big culvert to the bottom

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:00 pm

take a shovel, and slice through the dirt at various places. say every 10 meters out from the culvert. the dirt layers should give you some sort of clue about how the water has flown over the ground say over the last 100+ years.

the real clue might be that paved road. good chance that was the ancient river bed. humans screwed with the natural flow. however, at 7000 meters, a bit of engineering, easily can make it someone else's problem. the water realy does not care where it goes, as long as it goes.

overall, 5 to 10% grade, that is nice and healthy flow. i would be more worried about the traffic on that road.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:09 pm

i can not recall the exact numbers, these numbers should work most anywhere, but international building code is something like 15% plus grade, for at least 10 feet, in all directions from your foundation. reason being, when there is rain, your house, driveway, etc, displaces water. at a say 10% grade, you still need to add 5% to keep it away from the structure.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

soyena

Post by soyena » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:35 pm

admin wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:34 am
i have a parcel that has a drainage ditch through the middle that tends to flood in the rainy season. i was going to expand it and turn it in to a water feature / rock garden, with excess capacity to handle heavy rains. sort of go with the flow landscaping. in the southwest u.s. i seen a bunch of gardens or parks that were designed to flood and act as retaining basins durring heavy rains.
That is also my plan , sort of fill it up with pebbles and making it a feature of the landscape. I wonder why in the world they put that channel in in the first place, I mean lowering the sidewalk purposely so the water will flow through the land instead of down the road.

soyena

Post by soyena » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:37 pm

passport wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:37 pm
Yeah, what’s on the downhill side of the property? Maybe line the ditch with slab or send it through a big culvert to the bottom
It is actually another property. The ditch doesn't go all the way down, ends halfway through my land.

soyena

Post by soyena » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:41 pm

admin wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:00 pm
take a shovel, and slice through the dirt at various places. say every 10 meters out from the culvert. the dirt layers should give you some sort of clue about how the water has flown over the ground say over the last 100+ years.

the real clue might be that paved road. good chance that was the ancient river bed. humans screwed with the natural flow. however, at 7000 meters, a bit of engineering, easily can make it someone else's problem. the water realy does not care where it goes, as long as it goes.

overall, 5 to 10% grade, that is nice and healthy flow. i would be more worried about the traffic on that road.
Hummm good thinking, maybe I will check if I could just close the entering channel and let it go down hill through the paved road. It is in a very small condominium so traffic is not an issue, plus this is the land in the highest point.

I will Google the grade % system you mentioned now.

soyena

Post by soyena » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:43 pm

passport wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:27 am
Best to have a soils expert look it over. Hillside water can undermine buildings and they end up at the bottom of the hill.
What is that? Expertos De tierra? Any idea what is it called here in Chile?

Julito

Post by Julito » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:22 pm

Or re-direct the flow from the top of the property out and down to the roadside drainage...?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:54 pm

soyena wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:43 pm
passport wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:27 am
Best to have a soils expert look it over. Hillside water can undermine buildings and they end up at the bottom of the hill.
What is that? Expertos De tierra? Any idea what is it called here in Chile?
dont think it is worth the effort or costs.

it is not the Mississippi river your trying to control, and the grade is not that serious. also it is residential property, not a skyscraper.

sorry, looked it up. seems to be about 5%, or 6 inches every 10 feet minimum slope away from a foundation. easily done on that property. FYI, that seems to be based on california building codes, which is a pretty similar climate and soils (southern california) to deal with.

https://www.thespruce.com/slope-needed- ... ns-2132744

seen much worse, and several of them on my own properties. i actuelly think i got an underground river and an ancient water fall to deal with on one, with a 25% grade and what looks like a proven mudslide zone, on volcanic soil. i am fine with it. i like the look of retaining walls and terraced properties. i use to build retaining walls when i worked in construction back in college. much more interesting to work with than say a flat farmer's field.