Looking for the best City for my Family

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Atlanta

Looking for the best City for my Family

Post by Atlanta » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:18 am

I am leaving The States for 2-3 years and looking for a great city for my family. I have a wife, 2 kids that both speak Spanish decently well (the oldest near fluent), and are looking for a coastal (scenic if possible), mid-sized city with a good school for our kids and access to good health care. I have a TEFL cert and plan to teach English. Cultural amenities such as restaurants, cafes would be a huge plus as well.

Any advice? Vina Del Mar seemed to check many of the boxes at first glance.

Putenio

Re: Looking for the best City for my Family

Post by Putenio » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:02 pm

We like Puerto Montt and the peninsula south of it - schools, healthcare, access to theater (Frutillar), etc. We like Vina as a place to visit.
We've raised three children here (now 21, 21, and 17.5) and there is a good selection of primary and secondary schools - German School, American School, Pumahue, Patagonia, and the British School. There are several universities here - most are more like a community college, but there are some programs engaged in research. Hospitals and clinics are within easy access with a diverse range of specialties. In terms of restaurants and cafes - Puerto Varas has several cake and coffee/tea shops.

Others may call it "Muero Montt" (as in dead Montt) but there is a lot going on in the south if you look for it.
Enjoying the beautiful southern peninsula of Puerto Montt in the heart of it all.
Tenio Natural Reserve: http://www.visitsouthernchile.blogspot.com

Henryadis

Post by Henryadis » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:10 pm

I would really suggest Puerto Varas or Valdivia with the mild climate and very good public services and
the wonders of magic Patagonia on your doorstep...
Good luck
H.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:35 pm

Atlanta wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:18 am
I am leaving The States for 2-3 years and looking for a great city for my family. I have a wife, 2 kids that both speak Spanish decently well (the oldest near fluent), and are looking for a coastal (scenic if possible), mid-sized city with a good school for our kids and access to good health care. I have a TEFL cert and plan to teach English. Cultural amenities such as restaurants, cafes would be a huge plus as well.

Not sure what the going rate is as an English teacher, but I am doubtful it will be enough to provide you with what you expect. I think most English teachers here are single, straight out of college guys / girls that can manage on a limited income. Other posters probably know more about the this?
Good schools & health care is not cheap. Without knowing for certain, I would assume Santiago to be the best place jobwise, but that is not coastal.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:42 pm

scandinavian wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:35 pm
Atlanta wrote:

Not sure what the going rate is as an English teacher, but I am doubtful it will be enough to provide you with what you expect. I think most English teachers here are single, straight out of college guys / girls that can manage on a limited income. Other posters probably know more about the this?
Good schools & health care is not cheap. Without knowing for certain, I would assume Santiago to be the best place jobwise, but that is not coastal.
Having done that before, I would generally agree that you cannot raise a family with the income generated only from teaching ESL. Unless you have a side hustle, something is off. If you are coming after having built up a bit of savings and are single, you could probably swing it for a year or so like I did. Otherwise, you need to re-check your math. Are you going to somehow be supporting a family of four with 500 000 CLP monthly? Cultural amenities, or not, will be the least of your concerns at an income level that low.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:31 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:42 pm
scandinavian wrote:
Atlanta wrote:

Having done that before, I would generally agree that you cannot raise a family with the income generated only from teaching ESL. Unless you have a side hustle, something is off. If you are coming after having built up a bit of savings and are single, you could probably swing it for a year or so like I did. Otherwise, you need to re-check your math. Are you going to somehow be supporting a family of four with 500 000 CLP monthly? Cultural amenities, or not, will be the least of your concerns at an income level that low.
500k would only just cover a comprehensive health plan for a a family of 4 and utilities. Best have a side hustle.
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:07 pm

yea, i am taking this as you are planning to keep busy teaching english, because i can not recall anyone supporting a family on a english teaching job, anywhere in chile.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:10 pm

I lived in Viña for 6 years and would not recommend it. Things may have changed but it was more expensive than Santiago then. House market was smaller so inflated and food often had an extra cost due to "transport". Rents are high unless you are willing to move out in January and February so the owner can rent it as a holiday let. Also, for English teaching jobs the market is fairly saturated everywhere and most possibilities will be in Santiago. Again, all to do with available market.

Are you looking at other countries, as Chile is expensive? Schooling and healthcare are the biggest issues. And, most importantly, have you visited before? Don't take your family anywhere you have not at least visited for an extended period. Surprises still await you but at least you get a better picture of where you are going.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:15 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:42 pm
scandinavian wrote:
Atlanta wrote:

$500.000 CLP for a month salary worth of teaching English? That is around US$700 ish! Is that misery salary per month to teach English? I thought the market was around US$1000~1200 at least! Then for the OP, Chile is not for you to feed your family Am afraid...
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:04 pm

Atlanta wrote:

I don't have the experience of coastal, mid-size cities to answer your question, but I did have the same reaction as others. A teacher's salary in Chile will probably not allow for good schools, health care or restaurants. Either your wife is in a position where she can easily earn 3 - 5 million per month, or you are coming with say a hundred thousand dollars in savings (or at very least $50k) which you are going to burn through to get through the 2-3 years, or you have some other side income you haven't mentioned, or your plan isn't going to work.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:08 pm

My wife and I lived on my teacher's salary (well 80% on that) when we lived in Spain.

It was fine. Of course, we didn't have any chance of having a car, or renting our own private apartment, or ever travel to another country, or go to restaurants.

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:29 pm

Atlanta wrote:

Vina is busy, Concon cloudy and cultural amenities such as food are, well, underwhelming, unless you know how to cook. You need to fly in for a couple of months and travel around. My feeling is you'll fly back before the two months are up and never look back.