Work Visa Expires Soon, Awaiting Temporary Visa

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

JohnG

Work Visa Expires Soon, Awaiting Temporary Visa

Post by JohnG » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:36 am

Hello. My work visa expires on January 11, 2019. I got married in Chile to a Chilean woman on January 20, 2018 and filed for a temporary spousal visa in late October 2018. Tracking the mail shows that it was received and picked up in Plaza de Armas on November 5, 2018. However, the Auto Consulta website still doesn't show my information in the system and when I call 600 486 3000 I cannot get through.

I'm starting to get nervous and I'm not sure what I should do. Is the tracking from CorreosChile enough until it shows in the Auto Consulta system? Do I have to leave on a quick trip and come back as a tourist?

Thank you.

at46

Re: Work Visa Expires Soon, Awaiting Temporary Visa

Post by at46 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:51 am

I think your postal receipt from when you mailed your application is all you need until you get your visa. Don't go out and come back on a new tourist visa, that might screw up your process. That receipt is all you need for travel. If you ever find yourself in a regional city where extranjeria is not so busy (San Antonio or Los Andes) you might wanna drop by and talk to them in person.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:36 am

San Antonio Extranjería is down to three funcionarios from nine as six were recently let go.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:40 am

JohnG wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:36 am
Hello. My work visa expires on January 11, 2019. I got married in Chile to a Chilean woman on January 20, 2018 and filed for a temporary spousal visa in late October 2018. Tracking the mail shows that it was received and picked up in Plaza de Armas on November 5, 2018. However, the Auto Consulta website still doesn't show my information in the system and when I call 600 486 3000 I cannot get through.

I'm starting to get nervous and I'm not sure what I should do. Is the tracking from CorreosChile enough until it shows in the Auto Consulta system? Do I have to leave on a quick trip and come back as a tourist?

Thank you.
Your receipt from correos chile is considered a valid document until the letter from extranjeria arrives. And don't worry you aren't the only one waiting, I applied for my perm residency in Spetember and still have not received any update via mail or through the website, neither have my colleagues who applied for temp residency around the same time as me. I guess they are backed up with a lof of applications this year.....

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:16 pm

I filed for permanencia September 12 and my envelope was opened yesterday! So your trámite shouldn't be too far behind. My wife had to make a trip out of the country while it was pending. PDI did not accept her mail receipt and gave her a tourist visa when she entered. So far that has not affected he solicitud.

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:16 pm

I filed for permanencia September 12 and my envelope was opened yesterday! So your trámite shouldn't be too far behind. My wife had to make a trip out of the country while it was pending. PDI did not accept her mail receipt and gave her a tourist visa when she entered. So far that has not affected he solicitud.

JohnG

Post by JohnG » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:41 pm

Thank you all. That's great. My only scheduled travel will be to Isla de Pascua at the end of January. I hope that works out ok.

Have you been able to get through on the 600 486 3000 phone line at all?

Oh, and how do you know when your envelope has been opened?

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:34 pm

JohnG wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:41 pm
Thank you all. That's great. My only scheduled travel will be to Isla de Pascua at the end of January. I hope that works out ok.

Have you been able to get through on the 600 486 3000 phone line at all?

Oh, and how do you know when your envelope has been opened?
I have called them before, it is pretty hit or miss. Just call randomly and hold for 10 to 15 minutes. With your receipt from correos chile you can search your tramite in the extranjeria website.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:59 pm

JohnG wrote:
My only scheduled travel will be to Isla de Pascua at the end of January. I hope that works out ok.
Why wouldn't it?
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:58 pm

I seen a statistic in the news paper the other day, of those 100,000+ or so amnesty filings for the Haitens, Venezuelans, and everyone else that was here illegally, only something like 30% have received their final paperwork (although I take any stats in a Chilean paper with a grain of salt). That, and we are going in to the silly season, where thousands of people apply for residency at the end of about January to the end of February, and clog the system up every year; exactly at the time workers at immigration department go on vacation and untrained temp employees get inserted in to the chaotic bureaucracy. That is like the students, teachers, seasonal workers, people that came for the summer, liked Chile, and decided to stay, etc.

Just to throw fuel on the fire, all the people that applied for temporary residency last year, and got it, should be starting to come up on permanent residency filings time pretty soon.

Our current reading is about 5-6 months based on our recent applications that have been granted, but that can be more or less for all kinds of different reasons (e.g. you just happened to mail it on a busy Tuesday in March, that happened to be a day a bunch of other people were mailing their application, and the guy at the post office had not emptied the bin for a week, etc). Totally arbitrary.

Brace for impact.

What is the difference between a crooked government and a stupid government?

At least you know what the crooked one is going to do. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

JohnG

Post by JohnG » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:19 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:59 pm
JohnG wrote:
My only scheduled travel will be to Isla de Pascua at the end of January. I hope that works out ok.
Why wouldn't it?
Just because I am sure they will want to see my ID... which will be expired at that point...

JohnG

Post by JohnG » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:20 pm

GAminer wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:34 pm
With your receipt from correos chile you can search your tramite in the extranjeria website.
Really? I haven't seen that option.