Chilean Crime Novel in English

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

willienelson

Chilean Crime Novel in English

Post by willienelson » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:27 am

Hi All

Just wanted to run this by the forum - I have written a crime novel based around the central coast of Chile which deals with the disappearance of the protagonist's cousin during the Pinochet era. The book is set in the present day and written in English. I have submitted it to a number of publishers in Ireland and the UK who, despite having some positive feedback, have all basically told me that nobody is interested in a crime novel based in Chile.....

I wanted to see if anyone here was aware of any Chilean/South American publishers who publish in English...? I know it's a long shot but I thought it might be worth checking out....

Cheers

admin
Site Admin

Re: Chilean Crime Novel in English

Post by admin » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:31 pm

amazon
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Julito

Post by Julito » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:09 pm

Yes, from memory you can self publish on Amazon and they take a slice of the action.

bert.douglas

Post by bert.douglas » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:49 pm

You can self publish through lulu.com. They are a print-on-demand publisher. Very low up-front fees. When an order comes in, they print the book and ship it. You can set your own price. What you get is the difference between the price and the printing cost. The quality is very good. I have seen some lulu printed family photo-albums that looked as good as any coffee-table book. Color is kind of expensive though.

I think you have to pay extra to get your book listed on Amazon.

With e-books there are a lot of choices.

willienelson

Post by willienelson » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:36 pm

Thanks for the replies- yeah I was aware of the self publishing and e publishing route but I suppose what I’d really like is to get the book out there in physical format. I wondered would there be enough demand amongst English speakers and ex pats for a publisher to take a punt on a Chilean set mystery with a lot of local flavour and intrigue

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:14 pm

Put it up online in whole or in part and ask people to donate you some money if they like it.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:29 pm

Personally I would prefer something which didn't involve the Pinochet era. I think it is more interesting to people who didn't live it. But a good book is a good book and should find an audience. Didn't The Martian start as instalments somewhere? Was that Amazon?

AnciaVagar

Post by AnciaVagar » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:14 pm

Physically publishing a book is massively risky. E-pub can establish that there is an audience and generate some buzz. "Sell it to real customers for real money then the investment will find you."

I guess it has to be said: sell the book on the strength of the story, the characters and their relationships -- the setting is way down the list.

Julito

Post by Julito » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:20 pm

Years ago I read an article by Penguin, worldwide, been around for a century or more, saying that the break even point for them is sales of 40,000 books.

After that they and the author move into profit. Obviously if the book is taken up for a movie things change dramatically $wise and the author signs over loss of creative control to the story, it's a whole new but lucrative ball game.

But as some authors say, " Selling your book to Hollywood is like selling your daughter to a pimp".

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:35 am

Julito wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:20 pm
But as some authors say, " Selling your book to Hollywood is like selling your daughter to a pimp".
Just finished reading PD James' Children of Men, having seen the excellent movie some time ago.
The screenplay diverges quite radically from the book, but in this case the movie is the more successful imho.

I suspect that these days, many books are written with future film rights in mind.
Après moi, le déluge