Crazy rumors and conspiracy theories chileans love

UFO's in Chile, Chile Legends, Chile Myths, Chile Cultural Stuff, and most every other strange or unexplained topic regarding Chile.
admin
Site Admin

Crazy rumors and conspiracy theories chileans love

Post by admin » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:56 pm

:alien:

Chileans love to gossip. Often they have nothing to work with, but feal obligated to gossip anyway. thus, we get crazy rumors and conspiracy theories that go viral, and the realy juicy ones get repeated so much they just turn in to fact.

thought it would be fun to try and collect them here.

:alien:

My wife likes to say that in the chilean constitution, there is both a right and an obligation to gossip.

The u.s. just got a crappy free speech amendment. what fun is that?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Crazy rumors and conspiracy theories chileans love

Post by admin » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:11 pm

I'll start.

one of my favorites was on our first visit to Futalefue, we were looking at a property for sale and the seller told us that the gringo that was going to buy it had died in New york on 9/11.

well that is sad.

then we had another person tell us that another gringo owner of another property had died on 9/11.

then another, and another.

all the locals kept telling us stories about gringos that died in 9/11 when the towers collapsed.

well, obviously what is the probability that so many victims of 9/11, all just happen to have visited such a small town and either owned or were looking to buy property there?

after thinking about it, and interigating a few more locals, we figured out what happened. a lot of americans that use to travel a lot there, after 9/11 just suddendly stopped traveling so much. Which in such a small town was rather noticiable drop in gringos running around.

FYI, More people died in 911, than lived in this town at that time.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

mem

Post by mem » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:33 pm

I hate the heat. Far prefer cold and rain. Summers in the south are just torture for me and my computer equipment.

So over the last few years in houses we have rented we have asked about installing a ceiling fan or three, because it helps to circulate air and if you change the rotation it can either help with cooling or heating.

Each time we asked the landlord about this, (3 times and different landlords different houses) they just looked at us deadpan. Then responded no. We asked why and they said it is too risky because the fans can fall and cut people's heads off. We were dumbfounded. We assured them each time that this was not a risk. In one case they recounted a story of a friend that was decapitated by a ceiling fan and insisted that he would not allow a ceiling fan installation

The first time we thought it was just a kook. The second time we thought what!?!?! again?!? The third time we realised this is a bizarre conspiracy, no doubt caused by long term spanish speaking. A sleeping curse of the Spanish colonialists that now plagues large areas of south america. Lol

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:00 pm

A similar myth is widespread in Asia;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death

mem

Post by mem » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:06 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:00 pm
A similar myth is widespread in Asia;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death
Lol, nah that's different. The Asian fan fear applies to all fan types in a closed room. Nothing about decapitation
Here it is strictly ceiling fans and head severing that is the superstition.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:12 pm

i have been told by multiple maestros that you need to insulate your house with fiber glass batts vs. foam because the mice will eat the fiber glass and die.

yes, i don't have time to unpack the nearly infinite ways that is just plane stupid.

most importantly, even if true, i sure as hell don't want mice dying in my walls.

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:16 pm

Could the title be augmented to include the little lies they tell you every now and then for no good reason? Like this Ferreteria store manager telling me the little rubber gasket covered in yellow swirls of some kind of rot is actually a special type of lubricant. And I think he stopped just short of actually saying NASA lubricant.

bow26

Post by bow26 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:34 pm

the ceiling fan one really made me laugh, my wife hadn’t heard it before but just rolled her eyes and laughed when I told her.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:44 pm

The biggest conspiracy theory in Chile has to do with Israeli tourists in Patagonia. Mostly young people coming off their military service and sent off to travel the world to work out the resulting kinks, they don't always act like other tourists. You often see them on buses with their nose stuck in a book, ignoring the beautiful scenery outside. Obviously there has to be a reason. Some say they are casing Patagonia for a new, more water rich homeland. Others that they are searching for uranium (?).

More than once I have heard the advice that pregnant women should have their cravings for different foods satisfied or the baby will come out looking like what they desired and were denied. You don't want your kid looking like an avocado.

I like the ceiling fan one. It might explain the very few ceiling fans you see here. Why take a chance, right?

Julito

Post by Julito » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:51 pm

Yep I've struck the ceiling fan one too, twice after recommending them as a solution, so it must be rife. Surely they use them up North?

A few years ago the local Down Syndrome school put on a Xmas Concert, as they do every year, inviting school kids from the rest of the city. Many parents wouldn't let their kids attend because they feared they might somehow "get infected" and have downy kids later in life. :shock:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:52 am

sometimes they tell b.s. lies just to make conversation. many I have not figured out why to this day.

a gardner for nieghbor stops by as i am fixing a fence on my property. i had seen him around. old guy in jis 70's. we are chit chatting about this and that. he mentions that an abandoned house next to my property is going up for auction due to unpaid taxes. i had my eye on the house for a while, and had even contacted the owner about selling. he was not interested at the time.

well, sometimes these rumors have a thread of truth to them, so my wife pulls the tax records, court records, etc on the house.

nope. taxes were fully paid up, no debts, no pending legal action, etc.

i have no idea why he would even go there. what was his angle? how would he even know it was up for auction? he did not strike me as someone that trolls the tax auctions, or would even know how. he was just the gardner. otherwise a nice guy. never had a chance speek to him again. just realy strange.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:14 am

on the flip side, sometimes those rumors are true.

we had caught wind through the gossip vine that a client's property in the patagonia had a property line problem with douglas Tompkins. well, we kind of take those rumors with a grain of salt, as half the patagonia claims tompkins owns the other half, when in fact it is common to say that when the locals don't know who the owner is, or they hear an american bought it. very similar rumor to the one about owners that died in 9/11, and sometimes told by the same people.

well, we were told this from several sources. just to be sure we pulled a title on the neighboring property. owned by shell company inside a company. it was not obvious who the owner was. we dug deeper, and eventualy it lead to a company run by the pumalin park foundation. further, there was an overlapping property line dispute. like 100 meters, totaling about half a hectar.

my wife setup a meeting with attorney for pumalin. they had a policy of not pissing off the community by fighting small property lines disputes. when you have thousands of hectars to manege it simply makes no sense. the attorney for tompkins said, "draw up the settlment papers and we will sign".

sometimes the rumors are true, but realy hard to determine which ones are true when there are so many.

but in fairness, those rumors were in part caused by tompkins going to ground with his conservation projects. in the early days he was like a bull in the china shop politicaly. it bit him in the rear. so he went low profile, using shell companies to buy property quietly without drawing any attention to what he was doing. pumalin is realy only a small part of his real estate portfolio across the patagonia.