Snacking in supermarkets.

General topics related to Living in Chile
fraggle092

Snacking in supermarkets.

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:14 pm

Its quite common in Chilean supermarkets to see shoppers consuming the store's products before paying for them. Some of those partially-consumed items do end up going through the checkouts, and get paid for, but they often don't. But I have seen shoppers create a scandal when this behaviour is questioned by store personnel.
If only they knew....

Irish woman jailed for criminal damage to €1.50 crisps

I don't approve of either abuse by customers or aggressive store security. There has to be a happy medium.....
Après moi, le déluge

jehturner

Re: Snacking in supermarkets.

Post by jehturner » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:40 pm

Yes, it was a bit of an eye opener to see people walking around blatantly munching "free stuff" like bread when we first arrived. We've let the children open their drinks now and then though, to shut them up, and no-one bats an eyelid when putting the empty boxes through the checkout... The crisps thing is a bit mind boggling (how on Earth does someone even end up in court without having the option to pay what's due first, assuming they haven't tried to leave?).

Julito

Post by Julito » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:52 am

The Irish woman... previous convictions, previously banned from the store etc. Obviously she was known to the court as a troublemaker and they decided enough was enough.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:27 am

The crisp incident is a good example of irresponsible clickbait media headlines. Don't trust headlines. Read the whole story. As mentioned above, the pertinent facts are that she was a known trouble maker with previous theft convictions who had already been banned from the store. When they tried to kick her out since she was banned, she opened the product to try and force them into letting her pay for it even though she wasn't allowed to buy products in the store.

I don't agree with opening things before paying (although I have a vague idea I did it myself at least once some years ago) but it's probably not worth complaining about too hard either.

I haven't seen it happen very often at all personally (in Chile).
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:52 pm

Britkid wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:27 am
The crisp incident is a good example of irresponsible clickbait media headlines.
Huh?
The headline as quoted verbatim:
Irish woman jailed for criminal damage to €1.50 crisps
And according to the article, she did go to jail.
The judge, however, decided to impose a four-month prison sentence with two months suspended, noting that the accused had deliberately opened the product when asked to leave by security.
Did I miss something?
Après moi, le déluge

bow26

Post by bow26 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:39 pm

I think he’s saying it’s irresponsible in that it could be inferred that the average person who does this could go to jail over it, but when you read the full article it’s a bit of a non story because the woman is a shoplifting pain in the ass who probably deserves to get locked up for something, if not for that.

Anyway, the whole eating produce whilst shopping happens all the time in the U.K. and like you say sometimes people maybe pay, sometimes they probably do not. I thought this happened everywhere in the world to be honest!!

Julito

Post by Julito » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:33 pm

Don't do it in Australia, eat before paying in a supermarket is theft. I'm in a Villarrica supermarket 24/7 and I see it happening every couple of days, parents succumbing to their demanding spoilt brats with the wrappers quietly discarded before reaching the checkout. There's no doubt in my mind supermarkets factor it into their pricing.

Julito

Post by Julito » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:44 pm

Apols.... 7 days a week.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:22 am

bow26 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:39 pm
Anyway, the whole eating produce whilst shopping happens all the time in the U.K. and like you say sometimes people maybe pay, sometimes they probably do not. I thought this happened everywhere in the world to be honest!!
Huh, I don't remember seeing that when I lived there! Things change though. It would be a bit of a shock to go back now if we hadn't been visiting every year. When we left, nearly everyone still spoke English, whereas by about 5 years later there was hardly a native English speaker to be found on the bus from the airport.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:33 am

jehturner wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:22 am
bow26 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:39 pm
Huh, I don't remember seeing that when I lived there! Things change though. It would be a bit of a shock to go back now if we hadn't been visiting every year. When we left, nearly everyone still spoke English, whereas by about 5 years later there was hardly a native English speaker to be found on the bus from the airport.
Even 20 years ago, shoplifting and snacking weren't that common in Chile. I remember seeing an incident here where a security guard had tackled a young lad outside a store and had him pinned to the ground. The pair were surrounded by a group of grannies all shouting abuse at the unfortunate thief, one even attempted a (pretty feeble) kick. It wasn't a pretty sight.

I haven't lived in the UK since the 80s, but snacking and shoplifting were relatively uncommon at that time, at least where I lived. So I guess that for me its a foreign country now, and judging from the news, one that I wouldn't particularly want to stay in.
Julito wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:33 pm
There's no doubt in my mind supermarkets factor it into their pricing.
You know it. Its my theory that everything is more expensive than it needs to be here due to widespread theft, and anti-theft measures. Not just in the retail sector either.
Everybody pays in the end.
Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:03 pm

i can not recall ever seeimg anyone do this in chile. seen ot all the time in the u.s., but not in chile.

then also i probably don't pay attention to what anyone else in the store is doing, unless they are in my way.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:34 pm

Or maybe you rarely do the grocery shopping?

Seen it many times as I am various local supermarkets 3-4 times a week. Our local Tottus even has an intercom message prohibiting it. Lider (Walmart) seems to be the worse of the bunch, nothing like sipping on a lata of cerveza while you leisurely shop. But it does seem to be much less now than a year + ago as many supermarkets have implemented the Tottus policy.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat